Question.

My friend has ordered a set of EMG 81/85 for his Jackson Dinky.
The pups from the dinky are the EMG HZ ones. He's offering me them for free.
Is it a good thing to replace my standard old Ibanez bridge pup with a EMG HZ?
My other pups are single coiled so the other humbucker wont fit.
Is a good idea, i mean, the pups are for free and maybe beter than the standard Ibanez.

Let me know what you guys think..
Gear:

Ibanez V50 acoustic ( my first love)
Ibanez 442 RTR ( my second love)
Laney Linebacker Reverb 30Watt
I'll use it for hardrock/metal tunes and thought EMG had the best pickups for that kind of music. I heard bad thing bout the HZ though, why are the bad?
Gear:

generally EMGs passive pups arent as good as their active counterparts. your best bet is to play your guitar, then play your mates guitar, and see which pickup you prefer. make your decision based on that.
the pups on my ibanez now aren't that good. I know the actives are better but the passives are bad because? I play his guitar and then make my mind up. Still wanna know the downside of a passive EMG.
Gear:

I think they give quite a good simulation of the active versions. If there free, just stick em on ebay !
pup, pups, pickups, P-ups,

whatever you want to call them, you got the picture anyway
Gear:

Quote by azn_guitarist25
cos theyre passive. and emg for hard rock/metal you want the active pickups

im nto sure if passive or active much difference, but always depends which emg's u getting, as the guitarist from child of bodom got a V esp, it has passive H-4 pickups and thats hard metal...
ESP Horizon FM Standard
Spider II line 6 30 watt
Uber Metal - line 6 effect
Quote by EmoSentinel
im nto sure if passive or active much difference, but always depends which emg's u getting, as the guitarist from child of bodom got a V esp, it has passive H-4 pickups and thats hard metal...

Alexi actually got an SV ESP well more like 6 but you know there the same just different inlays and paintjobs but all revolve around maple neck thru with alder wings. yeh but look at the amp Alexi uses i highly doubt the ts has that kind of equipment
IMO, The EMG-HZ (as long as it's the H4 or H4A version) will beat out the lower to midrange Ibanez pickups in terms of tone. The H4 are voiced very similar to the EMG 81, only not as hot and with a slightly looser low end.

I played 2 very similar guitars in a shop - Epiphone LP Custom loaded with dual EMG 81s, and an Epi Zakk Wylde LP Custom with EMG-HZ. Quite honestly, the tone wasn't as different as a lot of people will have you believe, despite the fact the HZ are passive. They definately sound different, but I wouldn't say they sound worse.

And if it's free, then the price is definately right. Worse case scenario is you don't like it and revert to the old Ibanez pickup.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Look, that's a good respons.

Crunchmeister, like in my new guitar thread, you bring the right stuff.
The pups are indeed the H4 one's so I gues I'm lucky.

I be installing them after my vacation.
Gear: