i'm absolutely obsessed over srv's tones, what kind of amp/guitar settings does he use to achieve his "pride and joy" tone, or his slightly edgier "texas flood" tone?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
fender bassman, strat in the neck/mid position, tubescreamer, vox wah
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by wingedgopher
fender bassman, strat in the neck/mid position, tubescreamer, vox wah

didnt he use two tube screamers into each other?

and he used a univibe pedal too, it wasnt like the wah one though, this was one like a floorboard thing.

they had his stuff on display at the GC in Hollywood a couple months ago, i forget exactly what was down on the ground where his pedals were.

wish i would have taken a picture.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Quote by xmrchainsawx
didnt he use two tube screamers into each other?

and he used a univibe pedal too, it wasnt like the wah one though, this was one like a floorboard thing.

they had his stuff on display at the GC in Hollywood a couple months ago, i forget exactly what was down on the ground where his pedals were.

wish i would have taken a picture.

youre probably right. he also used overwound pups which i forgot to mention. thats a key component of that "texas blues" sound.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
well Fender Strat for the guitar, the more battered up the better, overwound singlecoils for the pickups (I heard Lindy Farlins are good, Bareknuckle Irish Tours too, and there are the regular Fender Texas Specials) and as heavey gauge of strings as you can take.
Amps were mainly Fender Bassmans, Fender Vibroverb, Fender Twin Reverns, and some other Fenders too but he did have some Marshalls and some of those legendary $10000 Dumbles.
Effects were 2 Tubescreamers (one for a boost and the other for more dirt), a Vox wah wah pedal (or possibly even 2 of them ), a Fuzz Face, a Univibe and a Tychobrahe Octavia too I believe? (mainly for the Hendrix covers )
Last edited by seljer at Jul 20, 2006,
i would say get

fender stratocaster with texas specials
fender 65 deluxe reverb reiusse
ibanez ts 808
or
maxon od 808
heavy ass strings

that should put you in the ballpark for SRV's tone
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

which amp settings did he use?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
a nice amount of mids, maybe a bit less treble to counter all the brightness. But really, its not in the amp settings, its in his fingers like allready mentioned
Strat
Tubescreamer
Treble boost
wah
bassman
Sometimes a rotating Leslie speaker (Cold Shot is one example)

The legend is SRV always used .13's, not so. He changed to .11's for live playing.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Last edited by Mudder at Jul 20, 2006,
Quote by freemo
he has a signiture strat...buy that and use 13 gauge strings

Not necessarily heavy enough, he used strings all the way up to 16s! He also has an upside down (lefty) vibrato bar on Number One which gives a different sound to traditional vibrato units (ie, with the bar on top). And, lastly, he used five springs in the back of his Strat, with the screws on the anchor plate tightened all the way up to the body. All that, plus all the other stuff mentioned.

Quote by Mudder
The legend is SRV always used .13's, not so. He changed to .11's for live playing.

Only later in his career 'coz he was damaging hands and fingers because of the effort he had to put into bends, vibrato etc.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Your realy never goig to get tone just like him, because most of its in the hands and fingers, but his rig also had a rotating organ speaker for a unique vibrato, wich are very rare. You can get all the same gear and it will have that texas blues tone, but as long as your playing through it its not going to have SRV texas blues tone, its going to have your texas blues tone.
Heavy strings, the bigger the better(he went as far as an 18-74 set )
All the other stuff mentioned will help, but most of his tone was in his fingers and technique(raking muted strigs, muting the strings, how hard he picked, etc.)