Right, so its the summer holidays and im bored out of my mind. I have an old black Stagg bass thats just lying around my room, so I have decided that i want to repaint the bass just as a showpeice. i was thinking allong the lines of a metalic lime green finish, but nothing too fancy, as its my first time painting since i was about ten. What im wanting to know is what kind of paints i should buy, what colours and how many cans. and where i can buy them. and yes, i have checked the getting started thread, and got a rough idea on what im doing.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
stay away from brush paints (obviously but its been done) and make sure you get a clear coat
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by wingedgopher
stay away from brush paints (obviously but its been done) and make sure you get a clear coat

i was thinking along the lines of spray paints anyway. i saw a badly done brush painted guitar on here before which put me right off the idea of brush painting.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
Brush Paint isnt bas as long as it's used for detaling and done well, aside from that stay away from large amouts of brush, i used it to do tribals on my custom guitar and it came out well, but any more than that would have looked ****ty. If you use spray paints, be sure you get an acrylic clearcoat, or a good laquor (preferably a spray). Spray your guitar with even coats, then do a few layers of clear, i did 3, i dont know what the standard is.
fair enough, so il need a clear coat, but what will i do for a base coat, and how smooth will i need to sand the wood before i do use a base coat?
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
if you decide to go with metallic green use a silver base coat and spray transluscent green over it. i think.
Quote by twowheels
fair enough, so il need a clear coat, but what will i do for a base coat, and how smooth will i need to sand the wood before i do use a base coat?

Youve just got to evenly scuff it with some 60/80 so the primer will hold and not slide off. Once youve primed, its a clean slate, paint as you will.
thanks, i now know what im doing as far as painting it is concerned. is there any paint companies that youd recommend, that i can buy the paint from? (within the U.K preferably)
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
thanks. you doing better than i am at searching. i cant find much in the way of spray paints that are sold in the uk.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow