Hi, I have been playing/learning guitar for about 6 months now and I want to buy an effects pedal but I need help deciding which type to buy.

I have been looking at BOSS distortion pedals but can't decide which one to get. I want a distortion that will give me a heavy metal/hard rock sound (e.g. Iron Maiden, Guns n roses) and also be able to give a grunge sound (e.g. Nirvana).

I was thinking of getting the DS-2 because Kurt Cobain used it and according to BOSS' chart (http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/DS-2/images/intro_R_L.jpg) it can get a metal sound as well. But I cannot decide between it and other BOSS distortions such as DS-1(which I know has been used by a lot of professionals), MD-2 and MT-2.
Which would be the best choice?

Also I have been looking at other types of pedal such as Wah, delay and chorus.
Which type of pedal should I get first?
If you can find it try the Boss Xtortion pedal, it's a rare gem but I find it's the most versitile fuzzbox they ever put out, try pawn shops and used guitar shops or ebay for it.
I'd go DS-1 if I were you. It's better for a beginner to work around, I find it more versatile, and it's lik half the price (in Canada anyway).
I have a Fender Squier Strat and the Frontman 15G Amp that came bundled with it.
Maybe you should save up for a better amp, if you get one with a nice overdrive channel you won't need to spend the money on an effect pedal.
Ok I have been having a look at some Amps and I?ll probably wait and save up for a new amp instead of getting a distortion pedal.

I have been looking wah pedals and at the moment I think the Dunlop original is the best for cheap but can anyone recommended a better one?
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon i love it
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Thanks I have been onto the Ibanez website and the Ibanez WD-7 sounds great so I?ll probably get that if it?s not too expensive.

One last question, and it probably sounds stupid but I have never brought an effects pedal before so I don't know, but do the patch cables to connect the pedal to the amp come with it?
Three awesome pedals and one more you should consider...

Subdecay Blackstar (awesome OD/distorsion)
+1 Weeping Demon (perhaps the best stock wah)
MXR 10 band EQ (total control of your sound w/gain control)

With all that consider the Boss NS-2 noise suppressor to help keep hum and buzz to a minimum. Many prefer the ISP Decimator but the Boss includes a loop so you can isolate what effects you want to suppress.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Nitro285
Thanks I have been onto the Ibanez website and the Ibanez WD-7 sounds great so I?ll probably get that if it?s not too expensive.

One last question, and it probably sounds stupid but I have never brought an effects pedal before so I don't know, but do the patch cables to connect the pedal to the amp come with it?

no youll ned to buy like a three foot or longer instrument cable for your first effect and for every additional effect you add to the chan youll need 3 to 6 inch patch cable.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm