Page 1 of 2
i played this amp at my local music store and, since i will soon start gigging, i'm thinking about this amp because it gets the great tone that i want...but since it seems i'm always wrong when it comes to gear...i wanted to know what you guys think and if there is anything better in the same price range [$600 for the head and 4x12 cab]
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
but that's the thing...if i need an amp for gigging, can i really use a combo?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
i agree tube combo would sound better and be louder

traynor YCV blue if you could save a bit
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

exactly what i was going to say get a tube combo, they sound way better and even if you need it to be loud a 30-40 watt tubed is just as loud as your mg series check out the traynors or laneys
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
well it's not really about volume...it's about tone
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
and i'd be using this amp for thrashy hardcore death metal...would this amp suffice?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
exactly... the tone would be about 1000x times better... as the owner of an MG myself... i can assure you of this

Yes, you can use a tube combo for gigging... lots of people do it... including professionals
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
peavey?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Used 5150 Combo FTW.

EDIT: HAHAHAHA, your the guy that hated the JCM 800s tone, and you just said the MGs tone is what you want. Oh noes. You poor kid.
man...those are really damn expensive
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Yo Dude, i used the Marshall HDFX100 And To be honest The Head is Decent... The Cab is Plain ****! lol....

i Forked out £400 for my Half Stack and have Recently Dug out another £250 for a 2nd hand Cab and it now Sounds ALOT Better...

So my Comments are.. if your Prepared to Fork out for another Cab.. then Go for it... If Not then Combo Sounds ur Best Option.

Rob.
Quote by Pennyblack
Yo Dude, i used the Marshall HDFX100 And To be honest The Head is Decent... .

No, no its not.
whatever...i like MG tone...my taste is my taste...what style of music is everyone playing...so before you bash on my tone needs, consider the music i'm playing
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
how can you actually LIKE the mg's tone...

the 5150/6150 might be a lil more black metal for you, but i can't be sure

EDIT: also, know that NO ONE in ANY death metal band uses an MG
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
i take a lot of pride in my pinch harmonics and palm muted d's and the MG enhances them...that's what i've heard
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
well i've never played an MG myself, so im not going to bash it like a retard. but i will tell you that just about every person on this site will say MG's suck. im sure at least half of these people have never played or heard them and they're only saying it because thats what everyone else told them. but, there are a lot of really experienced people on this site too and i have yet to see one of those people say they like MG's. just my thoughts.
Quote by dimebag_love
i take a lot of pride in my pinch harmonics and palm muted d's and the MG enhances them...that's what i've heard

ok so let me get this straight:

1) you don't like JCm 800's because they have no "gain", if you want an amp with no gain, play a fender twin. JCM 800's have beautiful tone and gain

2) you obviously like solid states, but why? Do you seriously think that if you EVER become a serious, gigging musician that an MG is going to suffice? /laff

3) If you think that tube amps are "not loud enough" remember that 40-50 watts tube amps sound like 100 watts solid state.

so go waste $600 on the MG, you will find out when your older that you could have had a tube amp for MAYBE less than the NG, and would have been infinitely better than an MG

that is all. good day
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
ok so let me get this straight:

1) you don't like JCm 800's because they have no "gain", if you want an amp with no gain, play a fender twin. JCM 800's have beautiful tone and gain

2) you obviously like solid states, but why? Do you seriously think that if you EVER become a serious, gigging musician that an MG is going to suffice? /laff

3) If you think that tube amps are "not loud enough" remember that 40-50 watts tube amps sound like 100 watts solid state.

so go waste $600 on the MG, you will find out when your older that you could have had a tube amp for MAYBE less than the NG, and would have been infinitely better than an MG

that is all. good day

Li3k t3h Z4kK Wlyed p14y5 teh MG!!!11111!!!!! Andli3k so d0ez taht dued frum static x
what the hell are you guys talking about?

of course i don't want to make a bad buy, why else would i post a thread asking other people's feedback if i didn't want...HONEST feedback, i haven't heard at all what's wrong with the MG head, i've just heard people bashing it with nothing to back them up
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Quote by Refixer
Li3k t3h Z4kK Wlyed p14y5 teh MG!!!11111!!!!! Andli3k so d0ez taht dued frum static x

lol

*enters zakk wylde voice* The MG's overdrive is slamming and crushing. But i just got paid to say that. and i also get a nice chunk of money with each purchase. I would never use those MG's in my right mind. They're not tube
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by dimebag_love

of course i don't want to make a bad buy, why else would i post a thread asking other people's feedback if i didn't want...HONEST feedback, i haven't heard at all what's wrong with the MG head, i've just heard people bashing it with nothing to back them up

Very tinny sound, horrible build, un-reliable. A disgrace to the Marshall name.

Quote by DunlopGuy
lol

*enters zakk wylde voice* The MG's overdrive is slamming and crushing. But i just got paid to say that. and i also get a nice chunk of money with each purchase. I would never use those MG's in my right mind. They're not tube

Should've taken the rest out and it would've been funnier.
Quote by dimebag_love

the overdrive sounds like something is getting ate alive. Most are extremely defective. overpriced for what they are
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by Refixer
Should've taken the rest out and it would've been funnier.

EDIT: oops double post
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
okay, thanks...that's all i was asking for...geez
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by Refixer
Very tinny sound, horrible build, un-reliable. A disgrace to the Marshall name.

Isn't that exactly what I said in the second post of the thread?
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Musicman48858
Isn't that exactly what I said in the second post of the thread?

Apparently he needed to hear it again.
Quote by dimebag_love

of course i don't want to make a bad buy, why else would i post a thread asking other people's feedback if i didn't want...HONEST...

One reason - as soon as you turn the amp's volume to gigging level - about 4, the tone goes to ****. Plain and simple. The power amp starts to clip and the amp sounds like angry bees in a jar. THe tone becomes shrill and brittle, and sounds like someone is stabbing my eardrums with an ice pick. Seriously, the only time I heard an MG that sounded at least passable, the guy was runnign it thru a Mesa Recto cabinet.

I've known several people who had them, having 'fallen in love' from playing them at low levels in stores. Then when they get to band pradtice and gigs, they sound like a muddy, fizzy mess. That's why MGs are no good.

If you're looking for a bedroom practice amp, then the MG 30 and above are probably ok. Otherwise, look elsewhere
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Play some real (valve) amps, then go back and try the MG, see what you think.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i used to have an mg50. it was POOR. the tone generally sucked. it was acceptable at bedroom levels, and did what i needed it to do but im far happier with my dsl401. seriosly, look into other amps
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
The tones of MGs suck. The tones of JCM800s are awsome. Considering you believe the total oposite, I believe you have the hearing of a 100 year old human.

x2

New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by R_H_C_P
Play some real (valve) amps, then go back and try the MG, see what you think.

He played a JCM 800 and hated it.
Page 1 of 2