God only knows if I've got this in the correct forum but here goes. I practice electric guitar stood up with a strap. I was wondering if any one has advice for any good ways to stand (position myself etc) and a decent strap length that would male playing easier in the long run without reducing me to looking like a member of busted lol. Keeping in mind I'm practicing metal like trivium and such

Thanks
umm...it's personal, really. my band mate has his right strap button at his waist (the lower one, more around his balls.) mine's a bit higher, it helps with speed picking.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I would suggest moving your strap to its shortest length and getting good with it. Once you can do that, you can begin to lengthen the strap again to your liking. This way also tends to prevent bad habits from forming when using a waist low guitar.
Quote by Dumpster510
I would suggest moving your strap to its shortest length and getting good with it. Once you can do that, you can begin to lengthen the strap again to your liking. This way also tends to prevent bad habits from forming when using a waist low guitar.

Much like you play slow before you play fast, put your strap high, then lower it gradually.
The most important thing is that you're comfortable in reaching every note. Don't sacrafice playability to look cool!
just make sure it is comfortable and you can play the song right with out missing any notes due to how it is positioned
The way I was shown was to sit down with the guitar on my lap and adjust the strap so the guitar was in exactly the same position when stood up.

Then, as has been said, as you get profficient and 'good' with it at that height you can slowly lower it accordingly.
Quote by DrewConley
The most important thing is that you're comfortable in reaching every note. Don't sacrafice playability to look cool!

Exactly, just look at John Petrucci, he had to have his straps shortened 4 inches to get his guitar that high... and he never misses a note.
My gear:
OLP John Petrucci Sig.
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ 112
I, personally, like to have my straps adjusted so that the top of my guitar's body is at the bottom of my ribs.

EDIT: no, actually, a little lower than that.
Depends what you're playing, lead is difficult with a low strap, and even more so, sweep picking. You'll even see guitarists rest their foot on monitors to sweep as their guitar strap is too low. Find what suits your style best, but I'd stick with the advice of starting high and slowly lowering.
When I play metal songs, I do the "power-stance" which is putting your left foot forward and spreading your legs and putting the middle of your guitar at about your waistline so the bottom left part of your guitar sort of pushes against your left thight so you have control for fast picking and stuff.
Quote by HorridxHopes
When I play metal songs, I do the "power-stance" which is putting your left foot forward and spreading your legs and putting the middle of your guitar at about your waistline so the bottom left part of your guitar sort of pushes against your left thight so you have control for fast picking and stuff.

power stance? isnt that from school of rock?

Originally Posted by grungefan89
Geeze, why don't you just give the kid a pistol to shoot at his head? Telling someone to go buy a B.C. Rich - and on a budget - is like giving someone a gun and telling them to commit suicide.