Howdy all,

I have been lurking on this board for about 6 months now, finally decided to join. Lots of great info and I have learned a lot.

I am a 33 year old nightclub manager. I have never played an instrument in my life until about 7 months ago, when I bought my first bass. As I work about 70 hr/week and have a live in girlfriend and 3 year old son, I don't get to practice nearly as much as I want.

As I said, my first time ever even holding a musical instrument was 7 months ago. I have never had a lesson and know nothing of music theory. I figured that I have wasted so much money on much more frivolous things, why not give it a try. Turns out, I love it. As I go out for a living, on my night off I prefer to stay home, grab a few beers and watch a few movies. While doing this, the bass is in my lap.

Now to the scared part. The nightclub that I run features live music upstairs and a danceclub downstairs. We have a great relationship with the band that is playing tonight. When they do their cover of "Glory Days" by Bruce Springstein, it is tradition that my bartender gets up their and sings. Everyone loves it and has a great time.

The band came up with the genius idea that I should get up their and play bass for that one song. Now, I have never even jammed with anyone, let alone played on stage. I usually play along with a song on my laptop or just screw around. I did learn the chorus to Glory Days and I guess I have to give it a try. I only know the chorus, I am hoping the bass player can fill me in on the rest, or maybe even play along side me for when I screw it up!!

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone has any tips for me so I don't make a TOTAL ass of myself (partial ass is fine).

Bounce
If you make a mess, don't panic and look uncomfortable, just laugh and look around. :-)
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
playing with the band before the real performance would be a great help to your familiarity with the song and the bassline and will help you cope with being on stage in front of people, whether you have stage fright or not...and if the performance is tonight (as you said it is) and you dont feel comfortable or ready then of course you can always tell the guys you're not ready or something...if not I advise you practice the song as much as possible, as you know this is a tab website and there just so happens to be a pretty accurate tab of that song on this website
heres the link http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bruce_springsteen/glory_days_btab.htm

other than that, have fun and welcome to the bass world!(and these forums)
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Thanks for the quick replies. Again, this is just for kind of a laugh. It's not as if I'm trying out for a band or anything. I have never bragged about being a musician and only the staff and the band really know that I am doing this.

Being the boss, (no pun intended, Springstein reference), I fully expect people to laugh and I fully expect to make mistakes. I guess I am asking what is the best way not to totally ruin the song. Anyone familiar with the song? I am a amped/metal/alternative guy myself. If I owned the club, it would play nonstop Manson, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Rage and Primus. I would have a blast for 2 weeks and then be out of business LOL.

Back to the question. Do you think I could get away with just playing the chorus? I feel pretty comfortable with that. Again, its a Thursday nightclub show, not a sold out arena. What do you think?

thanks again,
Bounce
Talk to the band's bass player and have him write a simple, repetitive and effective bassline that you could learn, and practice it with the band. And when you screw up, do it loud. so it looks like you're doing it on purpose.
Quote by Bounce247
Thanks for the quick replies. Again, this is just for kind of a laugh. It's not as if I'm trying out for a band or anything. I have never bragged about being a musician and only the staff and the band really know that I am doing this.

Being the boss, (no pun intended, Springstein reference), I fully expect people to laugh and I fully expect to make mistakes. I guess I am asking what is the best way not to totally ruin the song. Anyone familiar with the song? I am a amped/metal/alternative guy myself. If I owned the club, it would play nonstop Manson, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Rage and Primus. I would have a blast for 2 weeks and then be out of business LOL.

Back to the question. Do you think I could get away with just playing the chorus? I feel pretty comfortable with that. Again, its a Thursday nightclub show, not a sold out arena. What do you think?

thanks again,
Bounce

I think you answered your own question
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Cool. And to clarify, I do know the chorus bassline. I have never even played through anything other than my tiny practice amp. Should be interesting.

Bounce
as stated, practice on the song as much as possible. try to find the bass tab, for the song, and practice with the cd, or mp3. you need to know what key the band plays the song in. if the bands bass player can "walk" you through the song would be a great advantage. as far as stage fright, all performers live with it, in one form or another. i get very anxious on "game day" of any show, regardless how large or small. i play to a live audience, at least 3 times a week. nerves are just a part of the fun. the most important advice i can give is, have fun, and if you make a mistake, keep playing as if you did it intentionally. never stop or make negative facial expressions. the general puplic usually won't catch the error. if you look like you're having fun, so will you're audience. so get out there and "break a leg". playing on stage, in front of a crowd, is an incredible experience. you'll do great!
Well, I'm 6'3", bald head and a 10" goatee braided in two braids. Does that count?

Bounce
Quote by Bounce247
Well, I'm 6'3", bald head and a 10" goatee braided in two braids. Does that count?

Bounce

You need a furious mullet and some leather pants. WAHH AHH!! (that's the sound of your 80's Metal awesomeness that booms whenever you walk into a room)

I'm a dork. Just ignore me.
If you are comfortable with the chorus, I'd practice that the most, but do try the verse part. From what i see in the tab (on here), the verse looks a bit complicated, but truthfully it is a pretty simple pattern when you get the idea down. I think with some practice you could have the whole song down within a day or two.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Well, postponed my "big debut" for a week. I hauled my laptop, speakers, bass and practice amp into the pool room which is closed for the night. I played along with the song a couple times, but it was very distracting because our sound system is so loud downstairs and I was trying to play "Glory Days" with hip-hop loud in the background. During a set break, I pulled the band's bassist downstairs to help me.
He said the chorus sounded good and taught me the rest of the bassline. I couldn't get the "timing?" down (when to switch from one bassline to the next) in time so we decided to wait until next week.

Kudo's to all of you that are just starting out and getting on that stage for the first time. This is just for fun for me, I can imagine how important it is to those that are trying to do this for a living!!

Bounce
Try to cram in as much practice time as possible, did he write the other bassline's down for you? If so, you can use your laptop and windows media player to play the song at half speed and practice it.
Well, I did it!! What a blast. I was nervous for about 1/2 hour before getting on stage, but once I got up there, gone. Screwed up a couple times, but everyone said I did great.

What a feeling! Knowing and expecting to screw up a little, it wasn't ego-bursting when it happened. Just smiled and continued. So glad I did it.

Bounce
congrats! i hope you continue to have fun with bass, and maybe this will inspire you to do a few gigs with a band
this made me remember my first gig. Imagine this, i bought a bass, a week later a was in a band, a week after that I was playing my first gig. It was 5 songs and most was only rootnote, but we came out fine good luck man Practice as much as you can and have fun, you'll be fine.
Sounds like you had fun, now that you don't need any more advice. I'd just say learn from that experience, and practice makes perfect.

Good job man

BTW: 6'3'' bald head... intimidating :|
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by Bounce247

Bounce

are you kerry king by any chance?

Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by orangeacid
If you make a mess, don't panic and look uncomfortable, just laugh and look around. :-)

i always do that on stage i fuk up all the time lol but people love it................atleast i think they do........
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Forcemaster
are you kerry king by any chance?

lol i love that fella
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Thanks for the kind words! If your ever in Indy, look me up. No, I'm not Kerry King, no tat's at all. I do get the intimidating thing quite a bit. I try to go out of my way to not "swell up". I can't stand larger cats that walk around with a scowl on their face and arms floating like they are carrying imaginary suitcases. In a crowded nightclub, I walk half the night sideways so people can pass. When I see the moron not moving for anyone, I usually ask them "Are you new to being big? You're in everones way, move!" At 270lbs (and 4 bouncers behind me), they usually don't have a response.

Anyways, back to the topic. I am/was always asked if I'm in a band, play football, or a wrestler. Maybe my rock/badass look hid the fact that I was as nervous as a little girl. Seemed very sedated at first, but when the lead singer started egging me on and really getting into the song, Man what a blast! My taste in music is much more hardcore than Bruce Springstein, but the energy was contagious.

Bounce
Well congrats and welcome to the bass/UG world. It's a great feeling, playing in front of a crowd, and they're enjoying it. I just love the energy you get from it.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200