I am not a bassist but I need a question answered for my bassist and I if anyone could. I have heard of many bassists using the electro - harmonix big muff pedal with bass, but when we went to try it out at GC the salesmen said that it was a bad idea and that becasue of the difference of frequencies that using it with bass would ruin the pedal, and that it wouldn't sound good at all anyway. He then tried to direct us to the BOSS bass dist, which we were already completley aware of and decided beforehand we didn't want. Any way, my quetsion is will using the big muff fuzz pedal really damage the bass or pedal? I really hate the GC salesman, they are very undipendable and way to byist and opinionated, I know a lot of it is due to the fact that they are being paid on commision but their are way too byist.
That is a flat out lie.

The EHX Big Muff is made for both guitar and bass. Cliff Burton used a Big Muff a whole lot, our own forum has Ian38 and Incubus_SCIENCE who use them to no harm, and I myself have played a Little Big Muff with bass, and plan on buying a Metal Muff soon.

And the Boss ODB-3 sucks.
haha
ive seen too many times that the guitar center guys dont know what they are talking about. i own the US big muff and it works fine and sounds great. it wont do any damage to your amp. if your bassist does want one. try the russian one. everybody says that they are more suited for bass and the US ones for guitar
the guy who taught me bass has a big muff that he's been using for over 30 years with a bass... and only with a bass. Plus, I use the US muff every time I play bass. You should be fine.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Is it really designed for bass and guitar? Because when I hear Cliff play through it, it sounds just like when I play through basically any guitar distortion pedal.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
yeah I was Thinking about getting one of these. Are these things pretty sweet for a heavy sound?
MEMBER OF THE UGERS FOR AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE

Member Number 12 of the Iron Maiden are Gods Club. PM Revelations to Join

Sergeant Simmons of the KISS Army: UG Regiment PM Sloopy to join

Member of the "I Remember Old Nickelodeon Club"
Don't let anyone stop you from getting a Big Muff if that's what you want. I have one and I absolutely love it!!!!!!!
Fury- Breathe in deep, and cleanse away our sins
And we'll pray that there's no God
To punish us, and make a fuss

Chalking up the frequent loser miles day by day.
Big muff is the greatest fuzz distortion pedal ever! i use it for my bass and i am in love with it
I have a Russian Big Muff, and I find it's pretty good, but a little bit TOO much fuzz for me. It's good if you want either crunchiness or a fat fuzzy sound, not if you're looking for more of an overdriven tone.

Then again, it's not an overdrive, so...
Quote by Applehead
*cough* Marshall Guv'nor *cough*

*cough* Insane feedback noise *cough*

though i'm sure a noise supressor would sort it out, that's what happened with my odb-3
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Fair enough, I tried a few once, and all had the most insane feedback possible. so bleh.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by LOOKtheskyfell!
get the russian muff...ive got it and its low end tone is simply brutalgasmic.

I don't like the russian for two reasons: first, its lack of true-bypass. This means, that your signal still runs through the pedal's circuit board when the pedal is "off". Second, it does not have an AC jack, so you need to use batteries. I find batteries a pain in the ass in effect pedals.

I love my muff. It gives me everything I want. Whenever my guitarist steps back, and starts playing very little or very bassy things, I step in with the muff to cover the high end in order to fill the sound. I like to crank everything up and step on it for soloing, as well.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

I love my muff. It gives me everything I want.

Sorry but am i the only person who thought of a lesbian when you read that bit?
Does the "Big Muff being designed for both guitar and bass" concept apply to other Electo-Harmonix pedals?
Quote by Scourge441
Does the "Big Muff being designed for both guitar and bass" concept apply to other Electo-Harmonix pedals?

It applies to most pedals, period. Some pedals might not sound as good due to frequency stuff, but a "Guitar" pedal will work on bass.
haha
i use a big muff on my bass all the dman time, i meen ****, the thing is a godsend,
i <3 fuzzy muff
yeah, i am listening to a string quartet tribute to radio head, adn you know what, it's goooood
Quote by Applehead

LOL!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Applehead

My drummer said exactly the same thing lol

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
It applies to most pedals, period. Some pedals might not sound as good due to frequency stuff, but a "Guitar" pedal will work on bass.

Yeah, but I was under the impression that the Big Muff was designed so it would sound like pedals designed specifically for bass when played with a bass, but still sound like a guitar pedal when played with a guitar (ie, being able to handle both frequencies). Am I wrong about this?
Quote by Scourge441
Yeah, but I was under the impression that the Big Muff was designed so it would sound like pedals designed specifically for bass when played with a bass, but still sound like a guitar pedal when played with a guitar (ie, being able to handle both frequencies). Am I wrong about this?

Yeah i think thats right-i am investing in a few pedals because of this (the black finger compressor is outstanding).

Check out the Muse song hysteria for some great big muff tones-also Metallicas orion or any Kyuss song!
^First of all, learn to type. Secondly, don't flame companies like that. If you are going to make posts like that, than you belong in the Pit. Warned.

To Stygian: Distortion is different than Fuzz in many ways. And the one reason why I don't like a lot of DigiTech's material is because of the lack of true-bypass.

Don't start up with me or I'll give you another warning.

I'm authoritarian because i can't stand **** like that.

Life Lesson: People don't like dipshits. Stupid comments without bassis are generally made by dipshits.

Dipshits remark: I hate Digitech
Non-dipshits remark: I don't like (Or hell, I hate) Digitech because I find many of their pedals lack a warm organic tone which I like.

And Inky, true bypass isn't quite all it's cracked up to be, it's not that great. Gimme a minute and I'll find you a link bro.
haha