I was wondering if any one had any ideas for me on eliminating some of the horrid feedback and hum that you get with a lot of gain and high volume. I do plan to purchase a noise gate but it may be a month maybe two until I am able to. I know there are some tricks or whatever that people sometimes use to eliminate feedback, but I don't know any of them myself. I use an Epiphone Gothic Flying V and a Laney MXD 120, The distortin channel I usualley have on about 8/10 the volume where it is a problem is about 7-8/10 the only effects I have running right now is a Bad Horsie 2 Morley wah and a real old texas tremadilo tremelo pedal that I got for free. But I haven't noticed either pedal making a signifigant differnce regarding the feedback good or bad.
dont go near the damn thing.
Ug's Stupidest Member of the Year - 2005
Keep your hand on the strings when you arent playing, It'll pretty much stop normal feedback....
Thats pretty much the end all method.
There really isnt a way to stop Hum without a noise gate though. Thats generated by your distortion. A noise gate probobaly wont help it either if your using amp distortion...A noise gate generally goes in line with your pedals, eliminating the hum from them.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
to eliminate most casual feedback, you have to stand a little farther away from your amp....
so try straightening out your chord and playing a like a foot and a half farther to your amp than you usually play.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Ive heard about wax and some other materials to go around your pickups or wiring, not to sure how and even if they work.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Your pickups are already potted and waxed and all that.
Wires are shielded to keep cell phone and such signals from affecting them.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
if you feel like spendin a hundred bucks theres a pedal that completly stops all feed back, it's in the guitar worlds latest buyers guide in the effects section
^Excuse the noob question, but do noise gates (like the one you stated) kill your tone? I've never used one before.
no they dont effect tone very much usually, they will cut your sustain though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ And your tone...... And gain.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
depends on wich one you get, there are some out there that wont kill your sound but there are some that will
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
^ And while they may not kill your sound, they stil effect it a good bit.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
well, if it gets rid of your feedback and noise problems, in other words if it does what its suppose to do, and does it well then i wouldnt worry if you lose some of your tone. unless it completely changes your sound, then i say forget the noise gate.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
If you have a guitar with more than one pickup and controls for each, just turn the volume knob for the neck pickup to "0" and flick the pickup selector forward when you aren't playing.

Zero feedback and you don't have to drop any cash on a noise gate that may not do what you want.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
rocktron hush... best noise gate out there.. works well and no tone suffered... sustain a little but you can adjust everything to where the only difference you can tell when its on is that all the extra white noise, hum, and unwanted feedback are gone.. until then like said before just stand a little further away from your amp.. or dont play directly in front of it espicially if you have hot pickups.. like for example dimarzio X2N's are probably one of the hottest if not the hottest pickup out there right now.. so if you have something like these not the best idea to stand infront or close to your amp as you will pick up any and all unwanted feedback and noise.. another little tip is to not turn your guitar all the way up.. and maybe your tone knob just turn it down a little..
You could always take it to a shop and have it shielded. unless i'm wrong.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Actually the best noise reduction is the ISP Noise Decimator, u have 95% of your sustain wiht 100% noise free signal. It also cuts down on quite a lot of feedback as well. I have a problme with feedback as well. Mine doesn't come from the string vibrations, it actually comes through the POS seymour duncan invador (worst pickup ever IMO)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Actually the best noise reduction is the ISP Noise Decimator, u have 95% of your sustain wiht 100% noise free signal. It also cuts down on quite a lot of feedback as well. I have a problme with feedback as well. Mine doesn't come from the string vibrations, it actually comes through the POS seymour duncan invador (worst pickup ever IMO)

this guy is right. the isp is the best noise reduction available