Page 1 of 2
I really think the growing trend of girls playing guitar is really cool. I like the fact that more and more women are becoming singer/songwiters. I was thinking about this when a co-worker at Fontana told me that Edie Brickell and New Bohemians will play a free show in Central Park on July 28 (www.newbohemians.com) I remember her always perfoming "What I Am" with guitar in hand. Anyways, glad to see more chick rockers!
I've been rockin' for 6 years.
Quote by Rox0r713
I nominate giveitaname87 for UG's "Most likely to be a Serial Killer" award.
Uh, I know one chick who plays guitar. She likes metal but isn't a dyke, which bucks the trend around here. She's funny, I don't know anyone more crazy. And probably a tad on the bipolar side. I know one or two that play bass, too.
Quote by BaSsReBeL171
I now believe you are truly the smartest man alive!!! You're a pimp!

I used him alright
The Founder & Fearless Frog of the Primus Sucks Club. PM me to join.
Member of the Mitch Hedberg Pwns club
Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org
Yeah I couldn't care less if chicks play guitar, I have a few friends that want to learn but they never want to practice it so they never learn anything.
All the girls i know who play guitr can strum a few basic chords, better then me, so i cant complain.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by Heascase
Why arent they in the kitchen?

Its cool I suppose.

Yes. The only instrument a female should work is a vaccuum or an iron! I think I heard that somewhere...
I love chicks who play guitar. They always bare their g-string!

(ahahaha...someone had to.)
Quote by tommyt
you see what youve done draken youve unleashed airplay upon unsuspecting teens, damn you and your self righteous reportyness

buttsecks?

"Cookies? Who said you could eat *my* cookies?!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Quote by The way to hate
It's stupid that it matters what sex is producing the music. If it sucks, it sucks, if its good, its good.

I dunno bout the rest of you, but I think the point is that it's good that more women are playing guitar. Let's face it...how many great female guitarists are there? There is or was no woman Jimi Hendrix. Guitar is just something that way more men do. Many probably do it for some sort of stupid macho-factor, but even with that, it's still more male-dominated. I think it's cool that anyone plays an instrument when they actually put their heart into it (not band geeks, that stuff is bs), but I think it's even more of something when there is a woman who really plays guitar (and who doesn't turn out like either Joan Baez or Avril Lavigne). Now, if they suck, they suck. Your gender doesn't really matter when it all comes down to it. All that I'm saying is that it's nice to see an under-represented demographic pick up an instrument. My friend Emily has been playing like 3x as long as I have. I don't feel emasculated or anything, she's been playing longer than I've been seriously listening to music, that's to be expected. Then again, it really doesn't take much to be better than me hehe.
Quote by BaSsReBeL171
I now believe you are truly the smartest man alive!!! You're a pimp!

I used him alright
The Founder & Fearless Frog of the Primus Sucks Club. PM me to join.
Member of the Mitch Hedberg Pwns club
Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org
I a girl, i play guitar. I love it. go girl bands like: go betty go, the flairs, stuff like that. its awesome.
oh snap, ive been hearing the new bohemians on the radio station that plays where i work for a while, they are great! i was actually thinking of making a thread like this. i think chicks in music are great, they naturally have much better singing voices than guys. some of my favorites:

Susan tedeschi - AWSOME blues singer, really talented guitarist too. plus shes maried to derek trucks

norah jones - jazz singer, youve all probably heard of her. i love her songs and voice, they are very very relaxing.

wow im totally blanking on the third one. she plays a wicked slide, blues singer. she was posted on a video with a bunch of legends here a while ago...soemone help me out.
Quote by Jaymee
I a girl, i play guitar. I love it. go girl bands like: go betty go, the flairs, stuff like that. its awesome.

I'm about to teach this hot chick I like. She's into Avenged Sevenfold and that...I learned Bat Country and I'm gonna show her some stuff.

Yeah, it's really hottt when a girl can play.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Being a girl who's been playing since I was seven, being in a family that was completely in the music industry and had an upbringing on thrash metal, I know alot about music, and I can play guitar pretty well.

It shocks my friends ****less when i do sweep arpeggios, and theyre all like, 20 and ****, and theyre all lik "O_O I CAN'T DO THAT ;-;"

As long as the music is good, ROCK ON.
i hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
building inside of me
to murder everything
i hope they cannot see
i am the great destroyer
ok. ok. ok.. can i have a head count on all the women around here at UG?
I don't drink, don't smoke
don't fly high with dope,
I don't dance, and eventhough I can't sing,
I still can through guitar strings..
The Guitarist that used to play for Natlie Merchant is a girl and she is amazing. I think it would be cool if more girls played guitar. I've tried to teach my little sister how to play guitar but she never got that into it. I know a couple of girls that I'm friends with can play a few chords and stuff but nothing more.
i believe some girls dont want to play guitar because they dont want to cut their nails, like my ex
An instrument shouldn't be gender bound. And yes I am female, and I do play guitar. Big deal no?

Emily
PM me for details on Scourge's forum!

Quote by jmag
gangster-dolly, du my new hero.
Quote by crazy80shair
I really think the growing trend of girls playing guitar is really cool. I like the fact that more and more women are becoming singer/songwiters. I was thinking about this when a co-worker at Fontana told me that Edie Brickell and New Bohemians will play a free show in Central Park on July 28 (www.newbohemians.com) I remember her always perfoming "What I Am" with guitar in hand. Anyways, glad to see more chick rockers!

I dont know any chicks that play guitar. I know a lot of piano player chicks.
Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!
In the rays of the sun I'am longing for the darkness
Funny Canadians : Brandon860, Bodom & Scourge
Leader of the I boobs club
If a girl can play the guitar and play well, it's quite a turn-on for me. Or if she can sing, play the drums, just about any instrument, really. IMO, musical talent is definitely a plus for any girl. Except the Great Kat. Her ego turns me off more than any level of shredding could ever compensate for.

Unfortunately for me, I've never known a girl with any level of musical talent except for two, but they both creep me out sometimes. There were these chicks at band camp...but they were out of my league.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD

Juju & her drummer J.D.

Juju & her band Bliss

Juju plays guitar and sings songs by Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Rage Against the Machine...
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
guitar seems to be more of a mens thing. women seem to have a harder time obbsessing about a piece of wood with strings on it. also a hearing thing. I dunno what causes it but women tend to hear differently than men and have different perceptions of what they hear. Which is prob why I don't like any of the female guitarists
Quote by Def
guitar seems to be more of a mens thing. women seem to have a harder time obbsessing about a piece of wood with strings on it. also a hearing thing. I dunno what causes it but women tend to hear differently than men and have different perceptions of what they hear. Which is prob why I don't like any of the female guitarists

You sound like the jealous type? You must be one of those guys who is intimitaded by the fact that a girl can play the guitar better than you can?
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlXlaOeYl2c&search=1007
I just realized.. seems to be more girl guitar players these days that are into the chord strumming, classical, pop, emo, punk, etc. I've never seen a 50's 60's 70's girl guitar player playing the blues or anything. Never seen a 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's all girl jazz band. Theres never been a "Girl beatles band". That would of been awesome. Well I dont know what girls think about music and instruments.
Last edited by sunshineshankar at Jul 21, 2006,
Quote by ~AdNy
oh snap, ive been hearing the new bohemians on the radio station that plays where i work for a while, they are great! i was actually thinking of making a thread like this. i think chicks in music are great, they naturally have much better singing voices than guys. some of my favorites:

Susan tedeschi - AWSOME blues singer, really talented guitarist too. plus shes maried to derek trucks

norah jones - jazz singer, youve all probably heard of her. i love her songs and voice, they are very very relaxing.

wow im totally blanking on the third one. she plays a wicked slide, blues singer. she was posted on a video with a bunch of legends here a while ago...soemone help me out.

Bonnie Rait
I'm a girl and play guitar.

I hate it when chicks are all like "omfgz I can lyke totally play guitarrr"....and they either can't play whatsoever or don't know anything but power chords.

From personal experience, the hotter chicks always get the recognition, even if they don't know ****. Hmmmm.....
guess wat? im a girl. guess wat? i play guitar. wow.....

its weird that when you think of a "guitarist" u automatically think of a guy...
Page 1 of 2