When I anchor my thumb on my pick up it starts to hurt after an extended period of playing. I have nothing to do, so I pretty much play bass all day long, so I have been experiencing this pain a lot.

Has anyone else felt this, and if so, how did you deal with it?

Thank you
You can null the pain with an ice pack and than apply heat (heating pad,etc) to it to ease the muscles. You can also take Ibuprophin which is an anit-flammitory medicine.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Don't anchor the thumb too hard. Try to loosen it a bit when you play.

It also helps if you don't anchor it in one place. Try moving it around a bit.
Agreed, it seems as if you are pressing your thumb in to hard, thus resulting in fatigue of the muscle. You will damage your hand if you persist like this for years.. Both your fretting and plucking hadn should be relaxed. One of the hardest things in learning a stringed instrument is how to relax your hand but still acquire power. What i did was to not anchor my thumb for a while, just play "floating", and then go back to anchoring.. you will notice a difference.

Equally, on your fretting hand, remove your thumb from the back of the neck and do scales.. you will learn to control your fingers without pushing hard against the neck.

And lastly, dont feel you cannot take a break. Your hands have muscles, and muscles can get cramped and tendons can get inflamed. You can do permanent damage if you're not careful...
To loosin up, i just play reggeae lol. I just imagine im stoned playing with bob marley feeling the groove. then put some old chilis stuff on but kep the same style. Something like tht, i know its balls, but it works for me.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
you're only meant to rest it, not force it down onto the pickup. also, make sure its not resting on a sharp/awkward part of it. it took me a short while to figure out how hard to rest without affecting my power.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
its like lifting waights, you can only do so manny reps till you get soor,,,,,after a lot of reps you get stronger and the weight seems easer.
Sean Oldfield
I dont even rest my thumb on my pickup I rest it on my E string so my hand is more limber
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
ummmmm i move my hand lol if you watch Geddy Lee play he does the same thing... I pretty much copy Geddy as far as playing technique
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
What if you had to play the E string then?

i've learnt not to anchor my thumb when playing the E string.. it's very handy for one i'm, playing a different bass and i don't have my p pickup to anchor. I reccormend everyone do that tbh.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Quote by Names_mud
You can null the pain with an ice pack and than apply heat (heating pad,etc) to it to ease the muscles. You can also take Ibuprophin which is an anit-flammitory medicine.

I wouldnt take medical advice from a guitar website (but i have had a lot of hand problems playing bass and done a lot of research) Ibuprofen will only hide the pain not cure it-see a hand therapist. If a doctor prescribes anti inflammatory drugs/cream, new research has shown it can enhance any condition in particular not allowing cells to rebuild as other herbal remadys can.