Hey guys, I just remembered about this forum.. decided you guys can help me out a bit. :P

I just bought a new 6 string a few days ago, it's killer.. but I already learned all my favourite Dream Theater songs that require a 6 string, and am completely out of ideas for 6 string songs... I know tons of metal that uses the low B, but I'm looking more for Prog rock and stuff, any suggestions?
I'll get it over with and say Primus.

John Pattituci - Scophile would be good, albiet hard (it's also transcribed in the July Bass Player).
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
You could learn some Victor Wooten stuff,Nevermore,Zero Hour or maybe some Spiral Architect.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
fish on-primus. not prog, I know, but a good song
money-pink floyd. doesn't use the B but you don't have to move up the neck during the sax solo.

some more you you jump erratically around the fingerboard.
Learn some stuff by Steve Bailey i'm pretty sure he uses a 6 stringer.
Cannible Corpse's Alex Webster uses the low B if I'm not mistaken. If you're into that.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I think Necrophagist uses a 6. Early Nuclear Rabbit had a 6 as well I think. (Before the crazy Jean Baudin 11 string awesomeness.) You could learn some classical arrangements as well. (Moonlight Sonanta would be a lot easier on a 6 string)

I'm nearlly 100% sure that Alex Webster uses a 4 string, just dropped down a whole octave. (From E to a lower E)

Also, chords! You can play bass higher bass chords!

Write your own stuff and surprise us all.
Last edited by rhcpbassist at Jul 20, 2006,
^I'm pretty sure that Stefan Fimmers uses a five string. The majority of Nuclear Rabbits good basslines can be played on a six or a five. Learning some songs by John Pattitucci couldn't hurt.
Quote by rhcpbassist
I'm nearlly 100% sure that Alex Webster uses a 4 string, just dropped down a whole octave. (From E to a lower E)

In the live video for Hammer Smashed Face, it certainly looks like a fiver. As it does in the vid for Frantic Disembowelment.

Phish-learn some Symphony X.
Quote by rhcpbassist
I think Necrophagist uses a 6. Early Nuclear Rabbit had a 6 as well I think. (Before the crazy Jean Baudin 11 string awesomeness.) You could learn some classical arrangements as well. (Moonlight Sonanta would be a lot easier on a 6 string)

Also, chords! You can play bass higher bass chords!

Write your own stuff and surprise us all.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't tune down a whole octave from regular E to octave lower E because that would be incredibly floppy and most likely inaudible unless your amp can handle some LOW frequencies. I've seen pictures of Alex Webster with a 5 string, it was in the Spector catalog.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10