k well.. i have a squier fender which i bough in a starter kit.. i got the guitar and the fender frontman 15G amp with it..

well i opened the guitar once.. just too take a look at the things i have in the guitar..
(being stupid ) while opening it.. i pulled off a knob.. and broke one of the knobs..

when you buy a pickup and a humbucker.. do you get like new knobs.. to install with?

well i need new pickups and a humbucker..

soo yeah i play mostly like alternative rock, rock, punk/screamo and a little bit of metal and heavy metal.. / metallica, AAR, first to last, lastprophets, OLP.. etc

and also i want like a clean, tight tone, warm when played fingerstyle, bright when slapped..

soo what would be best recommended.. i dunno how much its ganna cost.. anything around 200$-250$ would be fine..

what would be better?

-3 Single Coil Pickups
-2 Single Coils & 1 Humbucker
-2 Humbuckers & 1 Single Coil
-2 Humbuckers

if so.. what kind of pickups or humbuckers should i buy??

thx
Oliver
when you slap them? you dont slap guitar strings, unless you are a very confused bassist...
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
not slap.. well when you know the song your body is a wonderland acoustic version?? by john mayer.. that kind of slap
Oliver
and no you do not get new knobs with your pickups.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
I just got an EMG 81/85 combo installed for $265 after taxes.
Not a bad deal. Great sounding pickups.
It can go on a Squier. It sounds good THROUGH THE RIGHT AMP!

You people suggesting EMGs have no clue as to what they do well and with what gear, or at least it doesn't appear to be so.

Through a Frontman, they will be muddy and all around ****ty.

www.guitarfetish.com

I would shop there for pickups for a Squier. Listen to the clips, look at the description, look at the resistance (more resistance=more crunch, more crunch=mroe distortion, relatively speaking).

I might go with their Crusader humbucker and 2 overwound single coils.

To get new knobs, check there also. I would also look into upgrading the pots (the things the knobs go on). Might as wll do an overhaul on the thing. Either that or get a better amp.
should i buy the SA/SA/81 set?? or should i get the 81/85 set?

how much would it cost in canadien??
Oliver
i think you mean lostprophets and just ask around at a local guitar store if they know what they are doing they will set you up
"Gibson SG mint condish"

Gibson SG special
Fender 410 De Ville
Quote by SuperAnalytical
www.guitarfetish.com

I would shop there for pickups for a Squier. Listen to the clips, look at the description, look at the resistance (more resistance=more crunch, more crunch=mroe distortion, relatively speaking).

I might go with their Crusader humbucker and 2 overwound single coils.

To get new knobs, check there also. I would also look into upgrading the pots (the things the knobs go on). Might as wll do an overhaul on the thing. Either that or get a better amp.

I just got a Crusader and installed it tonight. Haven't had a chance to crank my amp, but from what I can hear at a low volume, sounds very good. It's very articulate, and has tons of output. A very nice, warm tone, with enough low level harmonics to pretend you're Zakk Wylde. I can't wait until I get that new tremolo arm I ordered (my guitar came used without the arm =/) and can start doing those squeals Dime does. Plus, you can't beat its price. Hell, mine even came with a mounting ring (don't need it though).

EDIT: OP, you should probably look into getting a new amp first. Good pickups into a bad amp will always give you a bad sound. Bad pickups into a good amp will give you a decent sound. Then you might want to get new pickups, but definitely an amp first.
Last edited by Ironflippy at Jul 21, 2006,
BEFORE you invest that much money (i.e. more than you payed for your guitar and amp) ask yourself this. What the hell am I thinking? Have I heard these pickups? Is my guitar body routed for humbuckers? Will I need to get new 500K Pots, I don't know that might all come with the EMG kit, but still. Will I have to rout my body out for a 9V battery? EMGs can sound good, especially if you play alot of shred/metal stuff. They're not my favorite, but I like single coils more, that's just prefrence. I wouldn't spend that much money on pickups, because, no offense, but squire's have less-than-quality bodies, and even with good pickups they will only sound as good as the body and neck wood will let them. Just a reminder

But on to the question about what pickups -
For humbuckers, I like Seymour Duncan SH4's (JB) - They're pretty modern high output humbuckers and sound really nice, and will only run you about 70$. If your squier came with 3 single coils you will have to make sure that your body has a hole in it big enough to fit a humbucker. I beleive that squiers just have a big bathtub rout in them so you should be fine, but make sure anyway.

Another option is, sell the guitar/amp and save up. Buy a nice guitar, so you don't invest a lot of money that you will never be able to get back.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Quote by Ironflippy

EDIT: OP, you should probably look into getting a new amp first. Good pickups into a bad amp will always give you a bad sound. Bad pickups into a good amp will give you a decent sound. Then you might want to get new pickups, but definitely an amp first.

I concur, a good tube amp will make 90% of guitars sound atleast good, if not really good. On the other hand a ****ty transistor will make 99% of guitars sound bad. Atleast look into buying a nicer amp/guitar before investing almost 300 on pickups in a 150$ guitar.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

what else would you suggest for the 2 other single coils?

or would it be better to 2 humbuckers?
Oliver
thx for saving my ass.. from spending god knows how much.. money.. i was ganna spend...
Oliver