yeah i have a few things im not sure about, i would appreciate it if youde help me

Which pick-ups were usually the clean, and which ones were the more distorted one?
Is the pickup that closer to the bridge called the bridge pickup?
in the les-paul-ish three way switch thing, what does the middle do?

thanks.
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Tom Stoppard
  • I think you might mean... single coil and humbucker. Single coils give a nicer clean tone, while humbuckers give a nice distorted tone. Of course, that's subjective.
  • Yes. The pickup closer to the bridge is called the bridge pickup.
  • The middle section splits the humbuckers, and use a single coil from each pickup to pickup the string vibration - as far as I know, though I'm not expert on Les Pauls or guitar mechanics, so I have no idea what it sounds like, tone-wise.
edited to make it clearer: whats the diffrence bridge and not-bridge between pick-ups?

thanks for the help so far.
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Tom Stoppard
Last edited by subway gigs at Jul 20, 2006,
Take your guitar (or an acoustic guitar), with your amp plugged off, a strum a chord, but first strumming it right down by the bridge, then somewhere up over the fretboard allready.

You'll notice that by the bridge you get a much more twangy sound, while over the neck you get a much mellower sound.

The pickups in different positions pickup exactly these differences, the bridge pickup is much brighter and maybe even harsher sounding, while the neck pickup is warmer/more mellow.
Because the string is moving less in the area by the bridge, the bridge pickup usually has more output than the neck pickup so they're roughly the same in output overall.

the middle position on a Les Paul 3 way switch turns on both the pickups at once, a kind of average of the qualites of the 2 pickups
And in case you were wondering.......on a guitar like a Strat where there are normally three single coil pickups, there are 5 different settings.
The settings:
1. bridge pickup only
2. bridge pickup/middle pickup
3. middle pickup only
4. middle pickup/neck pickup
5. neck pickup only