I've been playing Acoustic for 2 years now and decided that i'm going electric...so which should i get?
Get a 6
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Id go for the 6
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
6 string.
7 is for mostly nu metal **** (like korn or whatever)
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
only get seven string if your gonna use every string (listen to nevermore they have some crazy solos on all 7 strings)
Have:
Dean DOF w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Pickup Set
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50w Head
Randall KH-120 Cabinet

Want:
Marshall 1960a Cabinet
Quote by danzig-_-
6 string.

rofl
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by danzig-_-
6 string.

Cause Dream Theater is totally nu metal
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by danzig-_-
6 string.

You're a dumbass. Ever heard of Steve Vai? Nevermore? Morbid Angel? Sonata Arctica? John Petrucci? There's also about 500 jazz guitarists who use 7 strings. John Pizzarelli, Bucky Pizzarelli...I could be spelling the last name wrong, but ah well.

Anyways, I would suggest getting a 6 string. I mean seriously, I can't tell you what to get, but what are you going to use a 7 string for? It really couldn't hurt...but who knows. Try both 6 strings and 7 string guitars out, then choose for yourself.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
the only thing i can say to that is........

.....wait for it...

[/leaves thread]
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
well if you wanna get a 7 sting for low tuning
get a 6 string baritone
thats what i play.
I play a 7 string, because it has more options. The only thing an extra string will hurt is your hands with the insane stretches you can pull off.
[IMG]http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg[/IMG]
Quote by danzig-_-
6 string.

you're a dumbass with limited knowledge of music. congrats.

anyways, to the threadstarter, it all depends on what you want to play. if you want stuff with deeper tones, the 7 string is what you want. if you don't necessarily plan on or care about down tuning, then just go with a 6 string.

oh, and before someone comments on the irony of madbasslover posting in the guitar forum, i play both guitar and bass.
make sure you get a good 7 string if any, I hear that some necks cant take the tension of the extra string so they warp (even if kept in the best possible environment). But like i said, its just something i heard.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Of course it's real, just like everything else you see on TV.

Quote by HorridxHopes
By far the most mathematical post ever on UG.

I am quite the mathmatician...not..

Me playing guitar...or is it?!?!?!
if you can find a 7 string that has all the specs that you would want in a six string id say go for it. nothing wrong with seven strings except for wider necks. you can play any song on a 7 string that you would on a six by just inoring the whole b string. but by buying a seven string you can do more than what you could with just a six. 7 is a great i dea especially if you have big fingers and are into various formss of nu metal and even some old metal and shred (mind storm by satch is a great 7 string song check that out)
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
I'd say get try both out and see what is best. I'd say a sixer most likely, though sevn stringers are awesome.

edit: bingo, actually.
Depends, if ur used to 6, go for 6. 7 tends to be more for low-tuning or a greater range for odd chord voicings. There are quite a few genres that use it (and not just Nu-Metal)!
However, the 7-string guitars obviously have a more broad tonal range (and depending on what string u add as the seventh) sounds heavier...

But inevitably, the 7-string will stretch the hell outta ur hands and it WILL hurt at first. That's normal, but if u dig the extra tonal range and get used to it, it's well worth ur time.
Quote by lalalalinoleum_
you should really get a 6 string......but what type of music do you play most

mostly rock....but i'm gonna go for metal(metal doesn't sound right on acoustic )
well, that prolly only needs a 6-string. Most thrash, even if tuned down never really seems to go past C# tuning. So 6 would be ur best choice IMO.

Unless you happen to be Lenny Breau, get a six string.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."