i have a vox ad50vt, on a high gain model(eg nu metal, uk modern or US highgain) with the compressor on, or even off sometimes, it makes a high pitched whistling sound at practice volumes, its intermittant, and only happens with string movement. However the problems gets worse with volume, and last night at my friends gig it was SQUEALING(constantly) unless he was playing or he stuck his guitar to the neck(with the neck pup muted).

it does this with all guitars, and ive tried playing with the noise gate, even with it maxed it still squeals. WHAT CAN I DO?! when i bought the amp i played classic rock, and didnt have that problems cause of the lower gain involved. But now i play ALOT of metal(but still tonnes of other stuff) and this whistling is INTOLERABLE!

is it my amp? is it all vox amps? should i kiss goodbye to my cleans and get a cube?(i know i know, the cleans are good, but nto as good as the vox).

im really at a loss here guys, help me out.
Feedback?

My Vox never does this.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
yeah im sure it is, because it stops when you turn down guitar, but im curious why having the noisegate on doesnt help.

can someone else with a vox try this? put to nu metal, keep master volume at around 7, put on compressor and make sure your gain and preamp volume are dimed. Then see fi when you kinda touch teh strings it whistles. I know the compressor doesnt help things, but it does ti for me even without.

im trying to work out if my amp is defective or something. or maybe i shoudl jsut get a new amp.
Oh, I get what you're talking about, it's normal. Happens to me all the time, it's the vibration of the strings, just mute the strings and it'll go away.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
but at performance levels its SQUEALLS like that, its like that sound but CONSTANT. it was being miced too, wasnt even THAT cranked.
Just put your palm over the strings, you'll get used to it.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
....at show volumes it doesnt stop though, you acutally need to turn your gutiar down AL THE WAY for the noie to stop, and its a VERY loud squeal too, as loud as the playing. and far more annoying.
Check everything, use different cables, different guitars, ect.

If everything fails, I'd take it to get looked at.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
sounds like a harmonic when when you remove your hand from the strings, or might even be a grounding problem
What kind of gate are you using? And have you tried to stand further away?
If you have a cell phone in your front pocket, that might be the problem.
Orange Enthousiast.
I nkow the problem you are talking about, I've been having trouble with it too. It's not a nice sound, not a harmonic. It;s a squeal, something annoying that makes my bandmates want to kill me. I have had a cellphone in my pocket, I am playing with a different guitar than I usually use, and I'm playing with a halfstack cab instead of just with a combo amp (same amp, different speaker(s)) and there is flourescent lighting and come to think of it last practice it was storming quite well.

When I had this problem before, it was unpotted pickups I think, I need to get my other guitar from a friend and try to see if I have this problem with it.
my cell phone got stolen, my pickups are wax potted and why the hell should i have to pay extra to get the distortipon the amp advertises? theres a mental block there. Not to mention the OD on there sounds good already, id rather not mess with it.

with gain at 5, when its turned a little louder, it STILL does it.
Quote by JahJahwarrior
I nkow the problem you are talking about, I've been having trouble with it too. It's not a nice sound, not a harmonic. It;s a squeal, something annoying that makes my bandmates want to kill me. I have had a cellphone in my pocket, I am playing with a different guitar than I usually use, and I'm playing with a halfstack cab instead of just with a combo amp (same amp, different speaker(s)) and there is flourescent lighting and come to think of it last practice it was storming quite well.

When I had this problem before, it was unpotted pickups I think, I need to get my other guitar from a friend and try to see if I have this problem with it.

My AD30VT squeals occasionally, too. That amp has been such a disappointment
Hi, I'm Peter
Lots of amps feedback. Try standing further away from the amp and mute the strings. When you used a noise suppressor, did you put it in between the guitar and the amp or in the effects loop. It should eliminate the squeal if it is placed between the guitar and amp.
It could be microphonic pickups. I'd take the amp AND guitar to a store and ask them to check it out.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
If he's having the same problem I am, it isn't feedback. And it isn't microphonic pickups, either.
Hi, I'm Peter
my amp kept doing that too, but I ignored it and it eventually went away