The scales I know: Major pent, Minor Pent, Blues, Minor, and Major. I know the A, Amin, A7, E, Emin, E7, and G chords. What should I learn now? Should I learn the Harmonic Minor, and Melodic Minor? More chords? I want to learn to solo....Hm..if anyone has any suggestions, I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks guys!
now u gotta learn to solo with those scales, it takes more than just knowing them to be able to solo.
yeah, start to improvise in those scales. also, start learning modes. they add a lot more color to soloing
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
how you solo is just improvise on those scale in whatever key the song is in
you should memorize what all the notes are on the E and A strings becasue then once you learn a few chord shapes and you know a TON of chords
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Quote by ledzep1023
how you solo is just improvise on those scale in whatever key the song is in
you should memorize what all the notes are on the E and A strings becasue then once you learn a few chord shapes and you know a TON of chords

you mind explaining that?
i think he means barre chords

if you do not know them then you put your index finger across all the strings to act like the nut and you finger the chord with your other fingers to make different notes

|--|xx|--|--|--|--|
|--|xx|--|--|--|--|
|--|xx|xx|--|--|--|
|--|xx|--|xx|--|--|
|--|xx|--|xx|--|--|
|--|xx|--|--|--|--|
3rd fret barred with index finger = G Major

ect ect
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Morgan_the_Homo
Yeah, I've been messing with trying to solo lately. What are modes?

In the major scale, each note can be the beginning of another scale. These scales are known as modes. Let's use the C major scale as an example for the sake of simplicity. The modes go like this in C major.

C Ionian (Which basically means the major scale)
D Dorian (Minor mode)
E Phrygian (Minor Mode)
F Lydian (Major Mode)
G Mixolydian (Major mode)
A Aeolian (The minor scale)
B Locrian (Dimished scale)

The order of the modes remains the same in every major scale.

Take a look at the pattern of the tonalities of the modes:

Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Major, Minor, Diminished. Look familar? It's also the "pattern" for the tonalities of chords in a major scale.

But anyway, these modes are used for improvisation and other musical writings. What makes modes useful is that each of these modes has their own unique sound. Of course, if you have the wrong chords playing in the rhythm when you solo, the mode will sound different. If you play major chords and solo using the Aeolian mode, the mode will sound happy despite the fact that it has minor tonalities.

Ionian goes well over major chords.
Dorian goes well over minor 7th and minor 6th chords (I'm not as sure about the 6th chords though).
Phyrgian goes well over minor chords.
Lydian goes well over major 7th chords.
Mixolydian goes well over dominant 7th chords.
Aeolian goes well over minor 7th and minor chords.
Locrian goes well over minor 7th chords with a flattened fifth [m7(b5) chords]