Ive been looking for a new amp, used or new, in the $500-$1000 range and came across the YCV80Q. Anyone played one before? 2 channel 80 watt tube combo 4x10 for less than $700 brand new sounds good to me.

I originally wanted a head and cab (most likely DSL 40 or TSL 60 and a 4x12) but anything new would be out of my price range in that area. I like the idea of the good 2 year warrenty on the traynor and having a brand new amp. especially since this is my first tube amp and it sounds pretty modern and fool proof with the auto biasing and everything. I want something thats going to have a good bass response and move some air when im doing a hard palm muted riff. Is a 4x10 going to be able to give that like a 4x12 can? I play mostly modern rock and punk style stuff but need good cleans too. No metal or anything like that but i need a solid distortion.

* All tube construction with 4 x 5881, 3 x 12AX7A Sovtek tubes
* 4 x 10 Celestion? Tube-10 speakers
* Separate tone controls for clean and drive channels
* ?Scoop? switch on lead channel for heavy ?boutique amp? lead sound
* ?Expander? switch on rhythm channel for unique variations of clean tone
* DynaSound speakers compensated XLR direct output
* DynaSound compensated headphone output
* Parallel effects loop with trim controls on input and output
* Internal Speaker defeat switch for silent practice or direct recording
* DC powered filament supply on preamp tubes for reduced hum
* Autobalancing bias supply means no need for matched pairs of output tubes or bias adjustments
* Long Accutronics reverb springs for authentic vintage sound
* Fully regulated power supply for ultra low noise
* Conservatively driven output for extended tube life
* Additional ?loop-through? serial effects loop
* 80 great big loud tube watts? not the little tiny solid state ones.
It looks amazing. Have you checked out the Traynor 50BLUE though? It has a better speaker, has lower wattage (but still way enough) so you can crank it easier. Its a bit cheaper.
Yeah i checked that one out too but i think i want something that is at least a 2x12 as i will be gigging with it semi regularly. although ill be micing the amp almost 100% of the time i want something thats going to be able to hold its own without. I guess i could plug it into a cab but if im going to go that route i might as well just buy a head and cab i figure. on the other hand since i will be micing it almost all the time (cant think of a time i wouldnt but it might come across) i might not need something that big.
Quote by evansut7
Yeah i checked that one out too but i think i want something that is at least a 2x12 as i will be gigging with it semi regularly. although ill be micing the amp almost 100% of the time i want something thats going to be able to hold its own without. I guess i could plug it into a cab but if im going to go that route i might as well just buy a head and cab i figure. on the other hand since i will be micing it almost all the time (cant think of a time i wouldnt but it might come across) i might not need something that big.

You contridicted yourself about 3 times in that post.
sorry i havent got a load of time, but i thought id say something. i recently got a Traynore YCV40, with new tubes and a Celestion Vintsage 30 speaker. and theres not much i can say other than this is the best amp ive ever played. there is absolutely nothing more i could as out of a midsized cimbo tube amp, i got it used, for only $450 of Ebay. What a steal, jesus. this amp has givent me absolutely pristine tones. anythign form beautful, summering cleans to great distortion (the amp itself doesnt get metal-esque distortion without a pedal, but it gets plenty for me). its got such deep warms, exactly what i was looking for. sorry i cant go into more depth, i got to run. BUY THAT AMP
Quote by keeponrockin
You contridicted yourself about 3 times in that post.

maybe your reading it differently than me but i dont see any contradictions... i was replying to call1800ksmyazz about the YCV50 blue.
I have the YCV80 2x12", and on '2' volume it's loud enough to play a small club (not mic'd).

The speakers are decent, but not that great. When I get more money, I'm going to only use 2 of the power tubes (to make it around 40 watts) and put in Celestion Greenbacks instead of the 70/80's that come with it.

In my opinion, you should probably go for the YCV40BLUE.
im also wondering about this amp, I had the YCV50 rented out for a month and I liked it alot but I like my cleans clean and it got alot of natural overdrive when I was playin clean cause most of the time to be heard it was cranked, I like cranking it when im playin with overdrive but I dont like the bit of overdrive it would give when clean so im wondering about this cause its like the same amp just louder right?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
I'm thinkin about buyin a Fender Twin. Amazing cleans, the distortion is pretty good as well.
50 watts is more than enough to gig with, even if it has only 1 speaker. And like you said, you'll be micing it anyways. And even if you did have a 2x12 you'd still have to mic it in most gig situations.

I'd recommend the YCV50 Blue. It's going to sound a lot better.
Do you guys really think 50 watts behind a single 12 is going to be enough to gig with without micing the amp? I really dont feel like its enough, mostly because of the speaker. I dont think it can move enough air to give me the low end i want to play rock music. Unless it was a very small room i really dont think it would cut it and all my lows would be lost and id have a very tinny sterile sound. Also like giorgio1210 mentioned i need my cleans to sparkle at high volumes and not be overdriven at all.
I think I've only been to one club/venue that doesn't mic amps. You will never play anywhere that doesn't use a PA (except, maybe, a house party, but it should still be well capable). The 1x12" should hold up fine for any application.