Page 1 of 2
Does anyone else hate these labels that teenagers are using now adays for everything. I get frustrated that everybody has to have a label. It's even starting to drop down in age. I had a conversation with an 11 year old the other day (His two brothers are very popular in high school) who asked me Are you a Skater? I said no. He asked me "Than what are you than?". I just don't understand the logic behind giving everyone a label, especially withou tknowing someone.

Secondly why is music suddenly beeing super categorized. I think the basically categorization now is Emo, Non-Emo and Mainstream or Underground. The thing that bugs me about this is that people don't even understand the real definitios, rather what has somehow become the pop culture terms. I was talking to someone who defined Mainstream as a band who has albums, and videos and is signed. Now wouldn't just about every band fall under category?

I was just wondering what other peoples SERIOUS opinions are on this topic.
Yeah thats pretty weird. My old school( IM going into highschool) Didn't really have labels because we were all pretty normal. Now there was one preppy school but thats abou ti.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
yeah everyone has those labels but ive never actually seen ppl who fit any of those labels perfectly.
some little kid in my school asked me if i was a grebo, i said know. then he asked me why i have long hair and i couldn't be assed to talk so i just said because i play guitar and it's what guitarists do (although that's not actually why i have long hair). he then said '' o you are a grebo then''.
Quote by Smokey Amp
Sticky Tissue: King of Threads.

Seriously, 99% of your threads are awesome.

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

give 'em a lick... you know you want to

Champion of the 2005 UG paints competition
Everyone in my school fits exactly under a label except for a few people. I like to think that I'm one of the few, but I may be wrong.
Quote by Tenacious Me
Yeah thats pretty weird. My old school( IM going into highschool) Didn't really have labels because we were all pretty normal. Now there was one preppy school but thats abou ti.

Oh you're just going into high school? Well, there sure as hell are going to labels. it can't be stopped anyway. Society has been stereotyping everyone since the beginning of time.
Sent from my iPad.
i use four labels.

Emo, Metaller, Preppy, Punker.

If you're not one of those four, I categorize you under "Normal."

but yeah, there are quite a few dumb labels out there. i think the dumbest two i've heard are "Bro" and "Tardcore". I've asked a million people, and even though they all say it, NO ONE can tell me exactly what the hell a bro is. as for tardcore, it just makes no sense to me.
Quote by sticky tissue
some little kid in my school asked me if i was a grebo, i said know. then he asked me why i have long hair and i couldn't be assed to talk so i just said because i play guitar and it's what guitarists do (although that's not actually why i have long hair). he then said '' o you are a grebo then''.

...Grebo???
A grebo? WTF?

Some people call me a stoner because of long hair. That's bull****. I'm also kinda geeky, I like smoking, I am really into the art ****, too, and definitely astronomy. Oh yeah, music. Labels are bull****.
Quote by BaSsReBeL171
I now believe you are truly the smartest man alive!!! You're a pimp!

I used him alright
The Founder & Fearless Frog of the Primus Sucks Club. PM me to join.
Member of the Mitch Hedberg Pwns club
Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org
Quote by Tenacious Me

pretty ironic, no labels, but a "Preppy" school
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
Labels are, essentially, the mismanaged, bastard cousin of a schema. It is, psychologically, human nature to label everything in sight.

My take is, to get back on track as to what you're actually, more contextually, talking about, that labels are complete and utter bull-hockey. Or soccer, if you fancy that instead.

However, I went to a high school in which the theatre kids, if they didn't like a part of the season, would try out for a sports team, and athletes, in a few rare cases, were known to audition for a show or do crew. When it all boiled down, though, you were any combination of a slacker, theatre kid, band nerd, or sport-type. Eighth-grade, however, wasn't so, but junior high is one of the most awkwardly funny and illogical times in your life, so I wouldn't worry about it. (Until you get a gang at your school - then it isn't quite so funny, 'cause you've got kids getting shanked in the bathrooms. The janitors must be pissed.)
I don't understand all these schools with labels! The only label at my school really is "emo". But that's because those people actually are emo.

Other than that it is everyone else: emo + everyone else = my school.

Not to say there aren't cliques or anything....but that's normal.
labels suck
kids always ask me if im emo cause I wear band shirts and play the guitar, and im like wtf. Sad thing is when I tell them im not they never talk to me again its like the label means more then idk everything else so when I say im not emo I guess im to cool for them.
Yeah, I live in this horrid midwest town where everything has a label. The other day, I was wearing a black t-shirt, and this kid that was maybe in 5th grade goes, "Are you goth?" I was like, kid, wtf is your problem? It's a SHIRT. And he goes, "yeah, but it's black, that like makes you a goth." I was so traumatized I walked away.
I think everyone's all jealous and shit cause I'm like, the lead singer of a band, dude ...
(Who remembers when D12 was...cool?)
my school is filled with asian people who think theyre black or something, but either way, theyd put me in the skater category just because of the way i dress. pshh but id put them in the blind category by the way they drive
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
Quote by Leonheart
...Grebo???

is that a hobbit or something???
Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph,
sail on the steel breeze.
basicly just Gangsters, Preps, Stoners and Emos.

I'm a non-stoning (yet) Stoner, basicly, but i hang out with some Emos and some Preps.
Labels suck, the media screwed us and tied in our parents to do their bidding
Down with the man!
so uhh...

what is a Grebo?
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
why care? nobody really labels me, some call me emo because i listen to that music. but I also listen to grunge, rock, oldies, surf. and I also get called a stoner because my friends either are/look like stoners. damn people.
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Quote by #1 nirvana fan
pretty ironic, no labels, but a "Preppy" school

I was saying thats really the only label anyone used.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
i don't know myself. it's just what little tits in England that know nothing seem to call people like me.

i think if you skate, play guitar, have long hair, wear converse or vans, wear band t shirts or listen to rock music you're classed by the dumbasses that know nothing as one.
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

everybody labels me a jock, so i fit in everywhere.
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
i think girls have it easier, i mean, if theyre like, either, emo,goth,skater,nerd,prep, or whatever they could always slob some dudes knob and all of a sudden become popular, and yes, i did mean like corn on the cob
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
Wow that was quite a fast huge responce.

First WTF is a Grebo??

Does anyone feel that people are starting label music lately like I said in the original post. All of the sudden every song and band is emo. Suddenly everyone thinks that they can go calling bands mainstream and underground when they wouldn't even have any basic knowledge about music and the music industry.

I'm personally unlabeled or at least I beleive so. Most likely because I could fall under all sorts of labels that not just one would suit me. But I just hate to see people do it, and I especially hate the way people label music. To me music is music and people should appreciate should appreciate good music for music, and not base what they think based on the facts that suddenly all sorts of people like it or because the band is suddenly really big.
Quote by madbasslover
i use four labels.

Emo, Metaller, Preppy, Punker.

If you're not one of those four, I categorize you under "Normal."

but yeah, there are quite a few dumb labels out there. i think the dumbest two i've heard are "Bro" and "Tardcore". I've asked a million people, and even though they all say it, NO ONE can tell me exactly what the hell a bro is. as for tardcore, it just makes no sense to me.

A Bro is an italian person who's super proud and always wears kappa, puma, diadora, addidas stuff, bra straps in his hair and has a thick italian accent.
What's A Grebo?!?!?!?!
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
most people just call me wierd, stoner also happens because iom always really tired and it likes like im high

but maybe 30% of the kids actually fit into a label guido, ghetto, preppy, goth, etc.

but everyone else is just normal

most people were pretty labeled in middle school, but in high schol as everyone got older, most people started hanging out with a lot more people, now its just people that are like goths that have no friends, exept other goths
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Last edited by metalmaster362 at Jul 20, 2006,
I hate labels, especially when otheres try to label me. I'm not anything just an average person who just happens to play guitar and have messy hair.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by SillyShoe
i think girls have it easier, i mean, if theyre like, either, emo,goth,skater,nerd,prep, or whatever they could always slob some dudes knob and all of a sudden become popular, and yes, i did mean like corn on the cob

actually i dont think so, i was watching mean girls with my gf and she said that its pretty much like that.
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Last edited by rdineen at Jul 21, 2006,
Quote by lateraluspiral
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grebo

Weird. Anyways...... yeah, my school has way too many people labeling eachother.

basically what i said then
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

everyone at my shcool is either prep, nerd, punk, goth/emo, or normal. and im going to this high school next year thats pretty much all preps
Originally Posted by acousticpyro23
Bitch get off my nuts.

Originally Posted by Vigilantius
I asked my mom for a cell phone once, and she said I don't have any friends anyways.
At my middle school it was stoner then everything else.

For most of my high school it was stoners, and um, oh thats it! Everyone has their own personality, none of this stereotyping based on music bullshit!

I did go to high school outside the US though.
Ive gotten everything, literally i think I have.
Ive been called emo, a jock, a goth, punk, chav, prep, all that crap.
I dont really care. Ill use any of the above to describe a persons style also, I just dont think it means that much or pins them down to it or something.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by rdineen
actually i dont think so, i was watching mean girls with my gf and she said that its pretty much like that.

well in my school, this nerdy chick that could barely speak english, slobbed on this one dudes knob, and another and another, lets just say orville redenbaucher got nothin on her, and like now shes all popular, pregnant but popular
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
Quote by SillyShoe
well in my school, this nerdy chick that could barely speak english, slobbed on this one dudes knob, and another and another, lets just say orville redenbaucher got nothin on her, and like now shes all popular, pregnant but popular

I'd rate this post a good 7.5 / 10

Exellent job.
I believe Dave Insurgent said it best:

Excuse me I'm not a Category......
I got No Class
I'm just my Fucking self
Page 1 of 2