Which bass should I buy? (Spector Legend custom 5, Legend classic 5, or Schecter c-5)

I know you guys probably hate these kinds of questions, but Im a 16yr old, clue less, starting out bass player (well, been playing for 3 yrs but I have much more to learn), so please excuse my noobness.

Which one should I buy? Spector Legend Custom 5, Spector Legend Classic 5, or Schecter C-5? I don't know if custom 5 or classic 5 is better from Spector, so i put both in there (Custom 5 seems to be more expensive...).

I'm probably going to string this E-A-D-G-C, like I do with my BTB cause I didn't like its B string, but if it has a really really tight B string, I'll keep it B-E-A-D-G,,, so if you guys have played any of these models, please tell me about its B string and playability and everything else...

Im looking for clear sounding bass that makes every note sing (kinda like John Patitucci sound),,, im not looking for growly metal sounding bass..

PS: Im buying it in mid-august, so im not in a hurry,,, much appreciation to the ppl who post nice replies
Last edited by ai4281 at Jul 21, 2006,
personally, I would always recomend the Schecter, though I prefer the Stiletto line to the C's. You should give the Elite-5 a shot, see what you think. I love my Elite-4 and if you didn't know that already, you obviously don't frequent the "should I get the schecter or XXXXXXXX" threads. In fact, here's my usual post in anything relating to Schecters. If you do consider the Stiletto, it may help, if not, I still say the C is the better choice, but I'm a Schecter fanboy through and through.

Quote by Fett13
Well, I own an Elite-4, which is essentially the same thing, except its a 4-string the Elites have neck-through design instead of bolt on. Also, I personally think they look a lot better (mmmmm.....black cherry and gold hardware........).

But back to the topic. Schecter makes great basses. I have yet to play another bass that I would rather own. I'd gladly take my E-4 over any of the others I've played. The only thing that I've ever heard anyone complain about concerning the Stiletto line is the neck width. Personally I like a thin neck, but not everyone does, so they gripe about that. I played an E-5 just a few days ago, and even though I don't much care for 5 stings, I must say it was a very nice bass.

As for versatility, this bass does a lot. You can get a great multitude of sounds out of it, and from what I've seen/heard you can do pretty much anything, from simple finger picking to slap (though I can't say for sure on the slap part, I personally don't slap at all).

Personally the only thing I would recomend is to take the Elite over the Custom, but that's more personal preference for neck-through and for the color than anything else. The pickups/electronics are all the same between them. If you like the sound, go for it. Its a great bass for a great price.

*COUGHblackcherryCOUGH*
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I'd love to try some schecter out, but where I live there is no schecter dealers... so I narrowed my choices down to those 3 (I chose C-5 cause it had the most appealing looks LOL)

damn, I wish I lived in US, near a guitar center
in that case, I still say the Schecter, I love the quality, the sound, the color (you're getting black cherry, right?) everything about them is great.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I own a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 and it's great. The Elites are good too. I have played 4 or 5 Spectors and I did not like a single one. The necks seem like they are about to break and they feal like plastic. They are over priced and do not sound nearly as good as the Schecters. Also a lot of the Spectors have cheap plastic tone knobs. All in all I'd say go with a Schecter.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Quote by Names_mud
I own a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 and it's great. The Elites are good too. I have played 4 or 5 Spectors and I did not like a single one. The necks seem like they are about to break and they feal like plastic. They are over priced and do not sound nearly as good as the Schecters. Also a lot of the Spectors have cheap plastic tone knobs. All in all I'd say go with a Schecter.

Have you ever played a good Spector? They are amazing instruments.

I own a Spector Q5, which is basically the same bass as the Legend series (it was discontinued in favor of the Legend series a few years ago). However they are "growly metal-sounding basses," which you said you didn't want. If that's the case, definetly go with the Schecter.
Quote by ai4281
I know you guys probably hate these kinds of questions, but Im a 16yr old, clue less, starting out bass player (well, been playing for 3 yrs but I have much more to learn), so please excuse my noobness.

Which one should I buy? Spector Legend Custom 5, Spector Legend Classic 5, or Schecter C-5? I don't know if custom 5 or classic 5 is better from Spector, so i put both in there (Custom 5 seems to be more expensive...).

I'm probably going to string this E-A-D-G-C, like I do with my BTB cause I didn't like its B string, but if it has a really really tight B string, I'll keep it B-E-A-D-G,,, so if you guys have played any of these models, please tell me about its B string and playability and everything else...

Im looking for clear sounding bass that makes every note sing (kinda like John Patitucci sound),,, im not looking for growly metal sounding bass..

PS: Im buying it in mid-august, so im not in a hurry,,, much appreciation to the ppl who post nice replies

hhhmmmmmhh....
i also got a btb205 but i keep it BEADG
i dont know any of the models you said, sry
try a bc rich
im a finger player

:quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTwoFoot
It's obvious that those songs were illegally downloaded, so Metallica wanted him to "ride the lightning," if you get my meaning.:quote:
i have a schecter elite 5 and my friend has the c-5. Both are amazing. They are extremly versitile basses. Spector is a good company with decent beginner basses but they really shine in the $2000-$5000 price range.
dude i own an schecter elite-5 and its amazing. i got it for $550 at guitar center and the sound quality of it is amazing. Get it relatively soon cause i heard the prices on schecters are going up soon