doesn't it have to do with pentatonic scale positions? i wouldn't know, i learned those using a different name for them
Quote by Dan Steinman
doesn't it have to do with pentatonic scale positions? i wouldn't know, i learned those using a different name for them

Never heard of associating CAGED with pentatonics

What name did you use?
It's the 5 main open major chords, C major, A major, G major, E major, and D major.

wow thanks bgc, i didn't know it was really that simple. Looks like ive been using CAGED for the last 6 years!!

thanks again
Yeah but there's more to it then that. Most guitar players can (or should) be able to play any basic chord in at least two positions, using the E and A shape barre chords. For example, pick a chord, say F#. You can play it using an E shape barre chord by barreing at the second fret, right? You can also play it using an A shape barre chord, by barreing at the 10th fret. Or you can use power chords or half barre chords or other voicings... the main thing is that you know there are two different places on the neck to play that chord. More importantly, some of the basic pentatonic shapes, as well as other scale shapes, as well as other riffs and licks, are played around the same frets as those barre chords. This gives you a way to start finding your way around the neck -- you can use those basic E and A shapes as guideposts, or markers, or whatever you want to call it.

Now, extend the principle to the C, D, and G chords. Can you do the same thing with these shapes as with the E and A shapes, that is, given a chord, can you find it using those shapes?
Being able to do this, or at least visualize it, has many advantages. It gives you still more possible ways to play any given chord, altho that's not the main advantage. The main advantage is it starts filling in those gaps on the neck in between the E and A shapes. Once you can start visualizing the territory in between those two shapes, you're halfway home to being able to play effortlessly up and down the neck. And there's a lot of other scale shapes and riffs and licks that are built off those in-between positions.

Basically the CAGED system gives you a road map all over the neck. The Fretboard Logic books go into it in more detail.
thx guitarviz that's some goo info there. Thanks to playing in church band, where it was neseccary to play A shaped and E shaped barre chords all over the fretboard. so i got quite a good understanding of the fretboard. and now that im starting to learn more theory, it is so easy cause i got all that knowledge of the fretboard.

i would encourage all you beginners to follow the advice above from guitar viz. it will help you alot.

also i might add, if you know those barre chords(A shape and E shape) then you will automaticaly know all the Notes on the two top strings, this makes it relatively easy to know the notes on the other strings using octaves.
Hey man ive posted in a lesson on the caged system there but i dont know if it is accepted yet but i think it will be.
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

Last edited by Mr.Loomis_shred at Jul 21, 2006,
Quote by jacoinmalawi
also i might add, if you know those barre chords(A shape and E shape) then you will automaticaly know all the Notes on the two top strings

Thanks jacoinmalawi. I think you mean the bottom two strings (the sixth and fifth strings) not the top two strings.

p.s. do you live in malawi? isn't that a country in Africa?
oh sorry i did mean the "bottom" two strings

yeah its in africa lol. im origanally from SA but then God told us(my fam and me) we should move to malawi 7 months ago. feels weird, most guitarists here are from US. but we all play guitar so who cares.
WOW do you know Gods love is so awesome that he loves you so much dude and has great plans for you man?. thats awsome. Jesus didnt come to give us commands. He came to give us real life and life in abundance.

The very purpose of the man(and women), is to have a real relationship with the all-powerful mighty God. That is why Jesus came, for a great life on the earth, not just a ticket to Heaven. This is the Truth, and you know it.
^ should read a book called 'the secret teachings of jesus' to understand better what jesus was getting at..... and this thread should probably be moved to the only religion thread if it keeps up in this direction....
Quote by jacoinmalawi
WOW do you know Gods love is so awesome that he loves you so much dude and has great plans for you man?. thats awsome. Jesus didnt come to give us commands. He came to give us real life and life in abundance.

The very purpose of the man(and women), is to have a real relationship with the all-powerful mighty God. That is why Jesus came, for a great life on the earth, not just a ticket to Heaven. This is the Truth, and you know it.

uhh

lmfao
Quote by guitarviz
Yeah but there's more to it then that. Most guitar players can (or should) be able to play any basic chord in at least two positions, using the E and A shape barre chords. For example, pick a chord, say F#. You can play it using an E shape barre chord by barreing at the second fret, right? You can also play it using an A shape barre chord, by barreing at the 10th fret. Or you can use power chords or half barre chords or other voicings... the main thing is that you know there are two different places on the neck to play that chord. More importantly, some of the basic pentatonic shapes, as well as other scale shapes, as well as other riffs and licks, are played around the same frets as those barre chords. This gives you a way to start finding your way around the neck -- you can use those basic E and A shapes as guideposts, or markers, or whatever you want to call it.

Now, extend the principle to the C, D, and G chords. Can you do the same thing with these shapes as with the E and A shapes, that is, given a chord, can you find it using those shapes?
Being able to do this, or at least visualize it, has many advantages. It gives you still more possible ways to play any given chord, altho that's not the main advantage. The main advantage is it starts filling in those gaps on the neck in between the E and A shapes. Once you can start visualizing the territory in between those two shapes, you're halfway home to being able to play effortlessly up and down the neck. And there's a lot of other scale shapes and riffs and licks that are built off those in-between positions.

Basically the CAGED system gives you a road map all over the neck. The Fretboard Logic books go into it in more detail.

You did the explanation for me. Thanks XD