I just adjusted my truss rod a few hours ago, and the neck has bent again!. What do I do to fix this? Is the guitar flawed?
like said, what are u fixing? is ur action too high? and if so have u tried to adjust it at the bridge first?

also, how did u measure the neck bend in the first place?
and did u even read up on truss rod adjustments? if u turn the rod too much u run the risk of breaking the neck. so answer the other questions, and repost.

if u do need a neck adjustment, ill talk u thru the correct way to adjust.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you're trying to adjust the relief of the neck and it comes loose again after a while then you're having the same problem I'm having with my agile al3000 black beauty lp. My neck's so stiff that I almost don't need the truss rod but it has a little bit too much relief for me. Makes my action a little high but it plays good with that. My guess is that there's not enough pressure to hold the rod in place. I went to heavier guage strings (13s!) to put more pressure on the rod and I hated the strings so I'm back to 10s.

I just got an idea. Maybe a dab of loc-tite on the rod might help. When I get a new set of strings I think I'll swing by my friend's machine shop and try it.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
to jj1565:

1. The neck was bent inwards. I verified this with a drafting scale. I know how to adjust the action, Ive done it many times.
2. I held the string down on the 1st and 16th fret and looked at the space between the string and the frets in the middle of them.
3. I know how to adjust the truss rod, I did it all the time on my other guitar.

It seems that my guitar's neck buzzes the least when it still has a slight bend. Should it be perfectly straight instead?
I see that you got some relief but how much relief you need depends on how you play. The neck shouldn't be straight but bowed very slightly. If you play lightly you only need a little relief but to play harder you'll need more. Gotta make room for the strings to vibrate. Sounds like you need more but it may be your action that need adjusting.

Adjusting the reliefs and the actions go together. Your frets has an effect on the action too. They may need to be leveled for close actions.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Just how close is 'close'? I think mine is pretty low, its probobly 2-3 millimeters off the frets. My guitar is brand new, so I think the frets are good (its a nice guitar too).
i asked all those questions because, in ur first post, u seemed suprised that ur neck adjustment settled in less than desirable way.
after many adjustments, i learned that some necks adjust easily, but some take a much larger turn to accomplish the same thing.
and only after waiting an hour or even over night was i able to access any real change.

in ur case it seems as if ur not too far off in neck angle/relief. i like a credit cards thickness, between fret and string, in that middle fret area.
on my epi lp i like a little less.

if u can get away with a straighter neck thats fine, but most of the time ull get buzz. high and lowest frets, even if it is a new guitar.
basically, what im saying is, u might actually need MORE of a bend to get rid of ur buzz.

what type of guitar is it?
where is the buzz? (strings and frets)
what have u done, so far, at the bridge?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

by 2-3 millimeters I meant the distance from the 24th fret to the string. I keep it that high because If I go any lower, the tone gets weaker.

to jj1565:

1. it a 24 fret superstrat with a set-thru neck joint, and a floyd rose bridge.
2. There is no buzz in the first 8 frets, but after that it gets a slight buzz, but even at the last few frets it hardly buzzes at all.
3. when I got it, the bridge was high, so I adjusted the bridge down by turning the bridge posts with the allen wrench. Then I put on 10 guage strings (meaning I added another spring). I havent adjusted the intonation yet, I'll have to look that up. Maybe you could help me with it?

The neck actually has seemed to stay in place since I started this thread.
-when u added the spring did u get the bridge level ?
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

-middle buzz can mean not enough bow, backbow or a high middle fret. is it on all the strings?

-i wonder what u mean by, the tone getting weak, with a different action. maybe because a high fret is choking ur notes short? and killing sustain.

-i can post an simple intonation how to, but as u know, there's no such thing as an easy floyd adjustment.

from icepoint...SETTING INTONATION:
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

floyd picture on this site. shows what to turn, but i like the above how to better...
http://projectguitar.com/tut/intonate.htm
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by hessian101
Just how close is 'close'? I think mine is pretty low, its probobly 2-3 millimeters off the frets. My guitar is brand new, so I think the frets are good (its a nice guitar too).

Normally the frets are installed very well (on good brands) but they're not perfect. Only the high end guitars will have their frets already dressed before you get it.

Try this for experiment when you change your strings. First you will need a straight-edge that spans 3 frets. Adjust your truss rod to make the neck as straight as possible (without the strings) and use the straight-edge over the 3 frets where the strings would be. You have lots of places to cover. You slide from 6th string to 1st string and if the straight-edge rocked you found a high spot.

One high spot is all it takes to keep you from lowering the action any more than you had.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+