i am going to be getting a mesa f-30 soon and would like to get a OD to boost my tone a bit more in my solos and everything else. i have a epi les paul with EMG's. i would like to be able to get some very high gain sounds out of it like metalica and trivium.
should i be looking at something like a boss SD-1 or am i looking for a tubescreamer like a ibanez TS9 (or is the TS9 only for boosting up solos and things)
i wouldn't like to spend too much over $150 CAN but could go up to $200 if i get a remarkable responce.
what do you guyz suggest?
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
Ibanez or Maxon TS/OD9 or a Boss SD-1.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If you want to boost your sound I'd get an Equalizer pedal rather than an Overdrive pedal.
i guess i don't want to boost my sound i just realy want to get something that will give me some very high gain distortion to allow me to play some metal.
what about the big muff?
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
^A Big Muff is a fuzz pedal really.
And an OD won't do metal by itself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah but he's getting an F-30 wich is very dark, normally you should get heavy enough disto out of it without pedal, just don't forget to get alot of bass on it and scooped mid's. the overdrive pedal will be used to compress your distorted sound, and i can tell you that metallica and trivium both use tubescreamers for that (like the maxon OD9 or the Ibanez TS9)
I checked Zakk Wylde's rig and he uses an SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal by Boss, so does John5, I've used it before, it's nice but I've never used it for metal so I don't know what to say.
just from personal use, i use the ibanez ts-9 and its a killer pedal. You can use it as a booster just by using the level up and the gain down. You could put gain up to get more overdrive/distortion. Or use the tone control and put it right ot get some really good trebly tone for those higher strings. Its a sick pedal with a sick tone.
Quote by Pieter-Jan
yeah but he's getting an F-30 wich is very dark, normally you should get heavy enough disto out of it without pedal, just don't forget to get alot of bass on it and scooped mid's. the overdrive pedal will be used to compress your distorted sound, and i can tell you that metallica and trivium both use tubescreamers for that (like the maxon OD9 or the Ibanez TS9)

Just cause it's dark doesn't mean it would have more gain than a brighter amp, but an F-30 should have enough gain for most.