I recently bought a boss me-50 multi effects kit. When i connect it up my guitar's volume control doesn't have any actual effect on the volume. When i connect directly to my amp though the volume control works as normal. It's clear when i'm going through the me-50 that when i turn the volume on the guitar up, the pickups are picking up more interference and i get feedback etc, but the volume of what i play remains constant. I don't understand what's going on. Anyone got any ideas about what's happening or how i could fix this?
is the main volume on the effects too high?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
so if you were plugged into the me-50 then your amp and you put your guitar on 0 then you can still hear it coming through
when u say volume control, u mean ur guitars volume pot or a volume pedal?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
No, if the guitar's on zero then i get nothing. But anything above zero, 1-10, then i get sound but it's all the same volume.
I think he's talking about the volume pot. I think what he's saying is that his volume pot doesn't actually effect the volume of the signal. If you want to use your guitar's volume control as an actual volume control, you might have to get either a new pot (some guitars use cheap electronics that fail easily or just don't work all that well) or go to a higher value one, perhaps 500k. Also, you'll need to install a capacitor if you don't want your signal to lose treble as you turn it down.

Also, if you have a compressor active on your pedal, you won't see a change in volume, since the job of the compressor is to eliminate dynamic variation.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I think he's talking about the volume pot. I think what he's saying is that his volume pot doesn't actually effect the volume of the signal. If you want to use your guitar's volume control as an actual volume control, you might have to get either a new pot (some guitars use cheap electronics that fail easily or just don't work all that well) or go to a higher value one, perhaps 500k. Also, you'll need to install a capacitor if you don't want your signal to lose treble as you turn it down.

Also, if you have a compressor active on your pedal, you won't see a change in volume, since the job of the compressor is to eliminate dynamic variation.

the first one your talking about wont work since when he plays the guitar straight through the amp the volume works normal its just when he plays it through the me-50. though your second idea may be it
Well it does effect the signal volume when i'm going straight into the amp. So it's got to be something to do with the effects. It's not a huge issue as i can change volume on the effects, just i thought it was rather strange. Also, i'm fairly sure it's not cheap electronics as the guitar is an ibanez rg series and i experience exactly the same problem when i hook up my old strat to the effects.
Ok, i did have some compressor on so i've gone and turned that off. The volume pot seems to be having an effect now. It worked fine on a clean tone. I normally play with a lot of distortion though and it still doesn't have much effect on that. But i've got some sort of an answer now. Thanks guys.
Your guitar's volume control should act more like a gain control with distortion than a volume control, at least that's how it's worked on all my guitars.
Hi, I'm Peter
Well if that's the case then i think it's fine now. The sound does get more distorted as i turn the control up.