Hey hey.. on I go with my string of noob questions.. But somehow I gotta learn, right?

What are amp heads? Are they smallish amps with more controls and/or effects? Or do they server some higher purpose?

What do people achieve with raising theyr pickups closer to the string? better overdrive?
What do people achieve with raising theyr pickups closer to the string? better overdrive?

I believe that one is valid here.. thus I put it here..
Pickup closer to the string = string vibrating closer to the pickup, which makes the resulting signal stronger. If it's too close, however, the strength of the magnet will play havoc with your string's vibration and cause all sorts of wonderful ill-effects.
Hi, I'm Peter
and to answer your question about amp heads, there are two main types of guitar amplifiers, combo's and stacks. Combo's are an all in one unit that has the amplifier and speaker in one single box and you just plug in and go, whereas a stack involves a head, which is your amplifier without any speakers, and a cabinet which is basically a box full of 4 12" (or wateva) speakers, the head plugs into the cabinet.