I'm turning 18 in october and I will probably get whatever guitar I ask for (anything under ~$1600 at least ). I'm most probably gonna ask for a Stratocaster or Telecaster, haven't really made up my mind about that yet, as I haven't really tried any of them. But as it looks now I'll probably go for the Telecaster because I really like the clean tone of it.

Anyway, my question is- after having looked at loads of Telecasters on the internet and finding the '72 Telecaster Custom, which I really liked the look of - will the neck positioned humbucker "destroy" the classical Tele sound, or will it make the Tele more versatile? Examples would be great, and what kind of music would this Tele be best for? I play a mix of 60-70s rock 'n roll with a bit of 21th century indie pop/rock. When I'm at it, is there a Strat that would suit my kind of music?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.
It will change the tone of a standard tele yes, but I don't think it would really "destroy" the tele tone. Either a '72 Tele Custom or a Standard Strat would suit you very well IMO. I say go try them both out and see which one you like best (if you can try them out that is)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Thanks alot for the info. I think I will be able to at least try out the feel of a regular Tele and a Standard Strat.
You're gonna' have to try them to tell the differences.

And the '72's are nice, don't sound like a traditional Tele, but sound nice.

And most Strats and Teles would perfectly suit what sounds you're looking for.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Thanks alot for the info. What about a Yamaha SG 2000 then? I know they're not close to the same priceclass as Fenders but my dad can get mad discount from Yamaha through work.
I always thought the Fenders from the 60s were much better than the 70s Fenders.
Sent from my iPad.
is he talkin about the teles franz ferdinand use?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Quote by giorgio1210
is he talkin about the teles franz ferdinand use?

No idea, I don't really know what guitars they use. Does anybody own/tried a Yamaha SG 2000? Would be great to hear someones opinion...

this is the one your talking about right>? cause franz ferdinand uses this one which instead also has a humbucker at the bridge and has a different bridge.

Quote by King ofKumbucha
Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to. I really like the black/black, looks kinda awesome.
yea the blacks cool, but personally i'd go for the sunburst I really like that one.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Quote by giorgio1210
yea the blacks cool, but personally i'd go for the sunburst I really like that one.

Have you tried one? Could you in that case try to describe the sound of it, compared to a standard tele with 2 single coils? Would appreciate it alot.
actually my friends telecaster(the drummer of my band) has a humbucker in the neck but its a dillon tele copy and not fender. And the sound of it compared to a regualar tele is its a bit thicker and not really as bright, this one is actually quite muddy which annoys me put that would prob be solved with a pup change. yea I think I would say its mostly just darker like not as bright sounding.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Ok thanks alot for the info, I'll try to get my ass to a guitar store soon and try one out.
No, the Franz Teles (2 hums) are '72 Deluxe Teles.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yea
Quote by King ofKumbucha