Alright I currently have a Blue Mettalic Affinity Fat Strat and I have checked and it has a Alder body and I think it sonds nice. I also have a pretty good amp (well atleast I think so) with a Vox Valvetronix 50 watt so please don't say buy a new amp that sounds good. My plans are I've already bought a black pickguard and black accessory kit (I like blue guitars with black stuff on them... what can I say I just like the color combination) and I want to buy new pickups... I have only a 150 canadian right now and that's all I'm willing to spend on my guitar (for now) because I'm also gonna have to get a new deck for my skateboard soon. SO back to my plans... I want to put a new humbucker in the bridge as that is the position I use the most as I play punk, alternative, pop punk and hard rock (Blink 182, cKy, Jimmy Eat World, dashboard confessional, Foo Fighters, Some Sum 41, Our Lady Peace... A big variety basically) and I'm thinking of getting an EMG 81. I have checked out all of the pickup websites and I reaally like the sound of the EMG 81. (as well It would match my pickguard... but that's obviously not the reason I like it for... just a bonus) Also finally I don't know if I'm going to do this as I know absolutely nothing about painting (soldering... easy, painting AHHH :P) but I want to paint the (I can't remember what it's called right now... brain fart) end of the neck like where the Squier is or where the Fender would be on a real strat... Is it called a headstock... I completely forget right now sorry. But anywys I want to paint that blue to match the body and I'm wondering what would be the best way to try that. Think of a Fender Tornado GT HH if you've seen that as I love the look of that guitar. Oh yeah sorry this is so all over the place but basically...

I was wondering IS an EMG 81 a good pickup for me?
What's the best way to paint headstocks, like what paints, supplie...? (not sure if that's what it's called)
Finally would this be possible to fit in my budget of 150-200 canadian?

Also I'm planning down the line on upgrading the single coils but the Humbucker is more of priority for me.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
The 81 is pretty good for heavy compressed highly distorted metal tones ( i have one so i'm not bull****ting ) but sucks balls for applications with less gain. for your musical taste it almost sounds like you might even benefit from the EMG60 (which i also have on my guitar ) which sounds more organic and great clean, and pretty beefy when it's distorted (sounds less thin and compressed - so more punk and standard rock).

If you get the 81 u have to know that it's active which means it's powered of a battery, so your other single coils might not be able to work in conjuction with it (they can but man is that wiring complicated. so you'll only have one pickup for the time being. Also you'll have to stick to active pickups, and probably emg actives, so your single coils would have to be EMG Sa's, so bare that in mind.

EMG81 = high gain, searing compressed metal pickup, thin sounding for rock and cleans. very trebly.

EMG60 = more organic pickup for rock and works great for cleans, more bassy and rounded off.

also there'd have to be enough space in the cavity of your guitar to fit a 9v battery, but there usually is so it shouldn't be an issue.

hope it's some help.
I wouldnt get an 81 for punk if you want active get a 85 or if youre just playing punk get a sd SH-8 Invader and if your doing it with a squire you proboly need new tuners
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
I don't think you can put in an EMG pickup in the same guitar as passive pickups without some difficult wiring, unless you don't plan on using the singels.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
No, EMGs are expensive so you're not staying under $200.

Is the pickguard you bought H/S/S, or s/s/s. If it's SSS, you won't be able to put EMGs in it.

www.guitarfetish.com

Has a lot of good pickups for strats.

As for your head stock, I think you have to sand it down to the bare wood, then paint it, then laquer it, I'm not sure if the process is the same on heads and guitars though.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
The pickguard I bought was H/S/S (I made sure of that as I am a fan of humbuckers) and I that was what I was wondering too... would painting a headstock be any different from painting a body.

As for the EMG I was thinking about getting one online or something like that and I think it would be in my price range. Aren't they only like 150 dollars... or are they more bacuase I've seen them on ebay for like a 80 dollars and I figure it would probably be about twice that.

EDIT: Also I checked out the Guitar Fetish site and I'm sure there are good pickups on there but I don't know how any of them sound as I have never personally played one... as I have played an 81 and I liked the sound of it. Also a little off topic but I was also looking a the Seymour Duncan SH-6 or the invader and how would those sound for my playing style? and how much are they like price wise... like would it be even more reasonable to go with EMG then Duncans?
(\__/)

Last edited by John_was_here at Jul 21, 2006,
Painting the headstock: Scuff sand with 60 grit sandpaper. Doesn't take that long, enough to get the clear off and the logo off. Tape off the edges so you only have the front face being painted (looks better, IMO).

Since you find painting might be a bit much for you, I would suggest trying to match the body color with spray paint.

Make sure if you have ferrules for your tuners that you either take them off or tape them off. Taping them is simple, put a strand of tape over all of them, then use a craft knife or Swiss Army knife to cut around the ferrules. Then pull off the tape not on the ferrules and paint.

As for a humbucker, try the GFS Crunch High Output PAF. Either this or the Crusader.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Painting the headstock: Scuff sand with 60 grit sandpaper. Doesn't take that long, enough to get the clear off and the logo off. Tape off the edges so you only have the front face being painted (looks better, IMO).

Since you find painting might be a bit much for you, I would suggest trying to match the body color with spray paint.

Make sure if you have ferrules for your tuners that you either take them off or tape them off. Taping them is simple, put a strand of tape over all of them, then use a craft knife or Swiss Army knife to cut around the ferrules. Then pull off the tape not on the ferrules and paint.

As for a humbucker, try the GFS Crunch High Output PAF. Either this or the Crusader.
If the headstock is painted and covered with poly or any clear, 60 or even 200 should be fine. If it's just clearcoated, 400 or even 600 works just fine ... which is what we did to a friend's headstock.

I second the GFS, just based on the sheer volume of actual UG modders who have used them ... sounds like the best bang for the $$$. And their hardware looks pretty outstanding, too.

Good Luck!
I sanded my entire guitar with 120 grit, and I don't recommend it to anyone. 80 is a much better choice.
Quote by mikeman
I sanded my entire guitar with 120 grit, and I don't recommend it to anyone. 80 is a much better choice.

So did I. I was telling myself the whole time "why didnt I just buy some god damn 80."
I sanded my guitar body and headstock with 60 and it was just much easier to get the scuff. Took less time too.
Quote by absinthe5765
So did I. I was telling myself the whole time "why didnt I just buy some god damn 80."

!!!I KNOW!!!

I wasted all that elbow grease.
**** emgs, theyre too expensive to put in a squier, get a Duncan Invader instead.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the invader now. Oh yeah about the headstock I'm not sure if I'm gonna attempt that anytime soon but I have started to do my research. O hand the pickguard came today and it looks awesome... I've still got to put it on but I was out today and didn't get a chance... I hope I can get my hands on a digital camera and post some pictures. Thanks everybody for the replies :P
(\__/)

No don't. Invaders are muddy
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Invaders rock, what the **** do you expect him to get then aznrocker, theres no point getting EMGS for a squier anyway.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
I know this thread is old but I have a new question to add to it (while actually two) and I figured I might as well use my old thread than start a new one. Anyways I've been doing some more research about pickups and I've narrowed my decision... I'm thinking about getting either a Duncan invader or a Duncan SH4 Jb model as they are both within my budget and I don't have to do some crazy wiring... I like the SH4 more as it is cheaper and I like it's clean sound as well as it's distorted unlike the invader in which the clean doesn't have as nice of a sound. But that's not my main problem... First problem I have right now is I tried installing the pickguard on my guitar but as it was built for an actual Fender guitar and not a squier so the holes don't match up properly and I'm a little undecided if I should get my pickguard professionally installed (at like Belle Air Music or something) or if I should drill the holes my self. I would prefer it get's done professionally but I have no idea how much it would cost so I want to ask how hard would it be to drill the holes myself and what tools do I need like just a drill or do I need some filler or anything like that? I also think there was a thread about this a few weeks ago but I'm having problems finding it with search. My next question is I'm thinking about down the road of buying an actual Fender neck for my Squier but my strat is an affinity and only has 21 frets so would a 22 fret neck work or would like the guitar body need to be changed at all? Well anyways thanks for the replies earlier form everybody and cheers.

Oh and as I'm sure you can probably tell I'm a bit of a noob to costomizing guitars so I'm sorry if these are really dumb questions.
(\__/)

Last edited by John_was_here at Jul 31, 2006,
Don't worry about your guitar being "just a Squier" ... it's Alder, and upgrading the PUs will definitely make it sound better. The biggest benefit is that a mod project will teach you quite a bit about guitars: patience, electronics, finishing, etc. After modding a MIJ Fender Strat that hasn't been played in months, my favorite "go to" Gibson SG hasn't been played in almost a month.

Upgrading the neck to a Fender 22 frets will work. I've done it on a friend's Affinity Squier. If you haven't checked out the following 2 sites, make sure that you do:

Project Guitar Tutorials

ReRanch 101
Ya I kinda gave up on this project because I didn't have the time and I saved up for a new guitar instead but now that its summer I've been working on it a lot lately... I will have pics soon... just waiting for my buddy with a digital camera to get back from vacation so he can send me the pictures.

But anyways the reason I'm reviving this thread is because my plans have changed as have my musical tastes. I'm once again interested in the SH8 invader as I'm looking for a high gain output thats well suited for punk / hard rock kinda stuff. Now I've heard a lot of people bashing the invader however I love the sound of the invader when Avenged Sevenfold is using them and I love the tone of the song Beast and the Harlot and it is my understanding that an invader is what was used. I also plan to use this guitar for blink stuff (I'm still a blink fan) and I've heard Tom Delonge uses them. Also my other guitar is a Godin LG with EMGs and it suits my metal needs and I enjoy the tone of it however I find actives, although sound awesome for some kinds of music, just aren't edgy (they just sound too... i dunno smooth) enough for punk. I also enjoy doing dive bombs and whammy bar harmonics although currently they don't sound all that amazing as I'm using that stock pickup so I want a bridge pickup that will sound good with harmonics stuff. SO anyways I was given a decent neck pickup from my uncle and it has a good sounding clean so I don't think I need an amazing clean out of my bridge pup. Also I'm looking for a pickup that would be somewhat versatile, I don't mean like able to pull off clean and dirty... but like I want a pickup that is diverse in distortion tones. (which may be the SH8s downfall... I'm not sure thats why I'm asking)

Anyways heres my question/s

Is the invader a decent pickup and would it be good at what I'm looking for... (high gain, good at harmonic techniques, good crunchy palm mute) or would the JB 4 or maybe the Dimarzio D Sonic be better, as those were the other two pickups I'm interested in.
(or maybe even theres a better pickup that I haven't mentioned)

Also so far I've gotten strap locks, installed the black pick guard, have started to use higher guage strings, replaced the neck pickup, painted the tremolo arm black and got black hardware. Things that I still want are a new bridge pickup and locking tuners. I'm gonna buy some sperzel (spelling?) locking tuners so I really only need help with the pickup question.

Thanks for all the help and also I have decided not to repaint the headstock as I don't really feel it necessary, and I love the neck (for now) so I don't feel like replacing it. Also thanks to everybody who already replied as thats been a lot of help and sorry this post is soo long but a lot has happened over the past year

and I know this probably sounds dumb but how do you post pictures on here... I mean I just tried searching but I didn't a find a sticky or anything... can somebody give me a link or actually explain it?
(\__/)

Last edited by John_was_here at Aug 19, 2007,