I'm currently playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a Randall RG50TC, I love the amp but It doesn't quite have as much gain as I'd like so I'm trying to find ways to boost it.

My Epi currently has the stock pickups (Alnico II magnets afaik) so I'm thinking of Upgrading them to some higher output ones. Bareknuckle are out of my pricerange and Swineshead don't quite have what I want in a bridge pickup so I'm looking at a SD Distortion in the bridge and Jazz or '59 in the neck (For Cleans). Would the SD Distortion in the bridge make a noticeable boost the distorted sounds I'm getting from the amp? And does anyone have any ideas as to other high output bridge pickups for Hard Rock/Metal? (I was considering EMG's but I hear Epi's need routing to fit them)

I'm also wondering what would be a good overdrive pedal to use with the amps distortion channel to give it more of a boost? I was thinking maybe the Maxon OD9? I want an overdrive pedal to use with the distortion channel to help kick it into Hi-Gain territory, not with the Clean channel to get a crunch sound.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
try have a look at boss pedals for you distortion pedal mibye a metal zone, distortion, superoverdrive or mibye the distortion and overdrive pedal cuase i know there is one with both. As for pick ups i have really no idea sorry
^ yeah I already have a metal zone but I'm looking for an overdrive pedal to try and kinda keep the sound from the amp just with more gain
Jecklye and Hyde (sp?). it has both distortion and overdrive
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
I was looking for them before, but I couldn't find them anywhere
ebay or musicians friend...ill look up links
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Ibanez Tube screamer will kick up the gain fairly good.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
The Maxon OD-9 would do you good, t'will probably get the sound you want.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by ssguitar
ebay or musicians friend...ill look up links

I'm not in America, can't get off musicians friend

Quote by Pieter-Jan
gain is overrated

Quote by ClayJohnson
Ibanez Tube screamer will kick up the gain fairly good.

Quote by R_H_C_P
The Maxon OD-9 would do you good, t'will probably get the sound you want.

Is there Much of a difference (Apart from Price) Between the 2? I know Maxon originally made the Tubescreamers, but soundwise is one much better than the other?
Apparently the Maxon is a bit better sounding, and it's true bypass aswell.

Try them out if you can.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Overdrive to boost a solid state amp isn't usually a very good thing. It will make the sound fuzzy more than anything.

I don't know how much more gain you'd get with the SD pickups mentioned, but they would be a monumental improvement over stock Epi pickups. I swapped the pickups in a co-worker's son's Epi Les Paul a couple of months ago (JB / Jazz), and the difference was night and day.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
Overdrive to boost a solid state amp isn't usually a very good thing. It will make the sound fuzzy more than anything.

I don't know how much more gain you'd get with the SD pickups mentioned, but they would be a monumental improvement over stock Epi pickups. I swapped the pickups in a co-worker's son's Epi Les Paul a couple of months ago (JB / Jazz), and the difference was night and day.

The RG50TC isn't solid state...
FS/T: Ibanez RG570, IBZ/DiMarzio V8 Pup

Member #6 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Get one of the Digitech Distortion Pedals, Ie. Bad Monkey, Screaming Blues Or Grunge just turn the low and high nobs (on the Grunge Pedal, thats the one i've got, n i bought it for the smae purpose your looking for, to increase gain) down to virtually nothing so it doesnt alter your tone virtually at all then increase the amount of distortion, it may buzz when you arent playing but just keep the notes coming, and you wont notice it!!
Last edited by Slash-Is-God at Jul 21, 2006,
if you want to keep your amps tone stay away from digitech, they completely change your tone with digital modeling. Id say either a boss super overdrive a mazon od9 or an ibanez tube screamer would be your best bet.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^Have you tried it? Many UGers say that the Bad Monkey is a TS without true bypass
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yeah the bad monkey and the digitech whammy are the only pedals from digitech that should be respected.
Quote by Slash-Is-God
Get one of the Digitech Distortion Pedals, Ie. Bad Monkey, Screaming Blues Or Grunge just turn the low and high nobs (on the Grunge Pedal, thats the one i've got, n i bought it for the smae purpose your looking for, to increase gain) down to virtually nothing so it doesnt alter your tone virtually at all then increase the amount of distortion, it may buzz when you arent playing but just keep the notes coming, and you wont notice it!!

Thats the highest thing ive ever heard
In response to your first question, no your epiphone doesn't need any routing for the emg pups. The 9v battery goes in the compartment with the volume/tone pots. I have an epi lp custom w/ emg 81/85, and it totally kicks ass through any of my amps, be it my 5150, dsl100, or crate (w00t).

Being a pedal *****, I could recommend the boss sd-1 as a good overdrive for the price $50. Also, you should check out the dod yngwie od pedal, its only $30 off of music123 and I run it in front of my marshall sometimes. As far as distortion pedals go, the boss metal zone is alright, but I can't use it in front of a tube amp w/o my ears gettin raped with the high shrills. The new electro harmonix metal muff is totally kick ass in front of either solid state or tube. There's also the option of say a 10-band eq, dialing in your tone, and then boosting the volume and/or gain.
Thanks for the help

I heard that the Epi LP Standards needed routing because the EMG's were a little wider and wouldn't fit into the pickup cavities? If Not I might be considering the an 81/60 combonation...

I was actually thinking about the Yngwie DOD, but I haven't heard great things about DOD and was wondering how much distortion it would help knock out. I'm really looking for something that will get me the most distortion possible. I was also considering getting an EQ pedal but I didn't know they could boost gain? Any reccomendations?