I have been playing for a few years, and for the majority of that I have only really been using chords and simple tabs. I can now change from any one chord to another to make it sound good when I am playing. But I can't play fast tabs, or solos. I was wondering if any of you could give me advice on what you did to help you become a faster, more accurate at playing fast songs and solos?
Lots of people are just going to say practise...which is true. It just takes time.

I've been concentrating my practise lately on scales and walks to increase my dexterity, and I've found that my speed is getting better too. Do you do scales? If not, you should start...they'll help with dexterity and speed, as well as giving you a basis for solos. Don't know how much you've done if you've been playing for a couple years, but it's a thought...
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Pull out the old metronome.. and do some exercises here: http://www.guitarsecrets.com/exercises.htm - Start on about 80.. I know it's slow but just trust me.. move the metronome up by 2 bpm each day (soo 80 the first day, 82 the next, 84 the third day).

You need to do each exercise very, VERY slow and train your muscles to do them the right way. As you do this, the metronome will become faster and you will gain speed overtime. You need to do this for quite a while (months).. I know it's long but it's the only way man.

Practice these exercises and any others that you can find on the net for about 1-2 hours a day. Then, once you start to feel that you can play the exercises pretty easily and fluently..you can start to look at some more difficult solos. The more accurate/faster you get.. the bigger span of soloing you'll be able to accomplish. But remember: it takes time!
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
just stick in and you get it it takes time and keep mixing ur practise up dont keep doin the same thing over and over good luck.
Quote by Carnivean
Pull out the old metronome.. and do some exercises here: http://www.guitarsecrets.com/exercises.htm - Start on about 80.. I know it's slow but just trust me.. move the metronome up by 2 bpm each day (soo 80 the first day, 82 the next, 84 the third day).

You need to do each exercise very, VERY slow and train your muscles to do them the right way. As you do this, the metronome will become faster and you will gain speed overtime. You need to do this for quite a while (months).. I know it's long but it's the only way man.

Practice these exercises and any others that you can find on the net for about 1-2 hours a day. Then, once you start to feel that you can play the exercises pretty easily and fluently..you can start to look at some more difficult solos. The more accurate/faster you get.. the bigger span of soloing you'll be able to accomplish. But remember: it takes time!

I just got a metronome as well, should I/we do eighth notes?
Don't play each note on each beat.. soo yes, do eighth notes.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard