By running effects through an effects loop you are bypassing the amps preamp. Usually modulation and delay type effects sound best in the loop. Wah and distortion usually in front of the amp.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
In the loop it would go:

guitar>amp>effect>amp (hence, LOOP)

Here's an example of my setup:

guitar>wah>distortion>amp>flanger>tremelo>delay>amp
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Yes, you arent. In amps with effects loops, there are 2 jacks on the back usually, but sometimes on the front that goes out, into the pedals, then back in. Hence the name effects 'loop'.
When you hook your fx pedals to your amps effects loop, your guitar signal goes into the amp and then to the pedals. When stringing pedals together, your signal goes into the fx pedals and then it goes into the amp. If you run things through the fx loop, a battery can die and you won't lose your signal like you would if you ran through the pedals and a battery died. Hope that helps.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
ok thanks . I dont think my amp (roland cube 60) has an effects loop. It just has line-out, external speaker out, tuner out and 3 jacks for footswitches. BTW does it make much differernce if you run an effect through the loop rather than between the guitar and amp?