Poll: Finger Exercises?
Poll Options
View poll results: Finger Exercises?
Yes!
19 95%
No!
1 5%
Voters: 20.
Loads of 'teach yourself guitar' books have on their first page a finger exercise for example:
e|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
B|---------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|
G|-------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------|
D|-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------|
A|---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------|
E|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

These seem to me to be completely non-musical, you rarely find stuff like this in actual songs. Do you think there is any point for beginners to practice these, or would time be spent better on more practical stuff e.g. scales.
yes there is a point, i've been playing for 10 years and still practice these, as for being non musical thats TOTALLY not true, add a little blues or jazz vibe to it and TADA its musical!! blues and jazz both use chromatics.
Quote by z4twenny
yes there is a point, i've been playing for 10 years and still practice these, as for being non musical thats TOTALLY not true, add a little blues or jazz vibe to it and TADA its musical!! blues and jazz both use chromatics.

As I said, it can occasionally be used in music, but the main aim of it is as an exersise. What I mean is, do exersises genuinely strengthen your fingers or make you a faster guitarist?
Quote by CheckOutSerafin
As I said, it can occasionally be used in music, but the main aim of it is as an exersise. What I mean is, do exersises genuinely strengthen your fingers or make you a faster guitarist?

If you play them correctly, yes. But then again, people use other scales as finger excercises... what difference does it make that the scale is chromatic?

If the practice is correct then the results will be good, if the practice is incorrect the results will be non-existant or bad.
i wrote out every possable finger combination for 4 frets. And practiced them over and over with a metromnome for about 6 months i jsut gets your fingers used to doing every possable combination of notes.
Quote by CheckOutSerafin

Yep. Exercises help your coordination and speed if you play them perfectly at a slow speed and gradually speed up. It will help you.
the finger exercises definitly have a use. they help you become a better play as in your fingers are more flexible and faster, and you are used to hearing notes on a scale that sounds good so you can combine notes from different scales on the fly.
Quote by Shorrock
i wrote out every possable finger combination for 4 frets. And practiced them over and over with a metromnome for about 6 months i jsut gets your fingers used to doing every possable combination of notes.

^^^ this is a good idea, i've tried to do it. Not to the extent stated above but exercises are a good thing to practice, i spend as much time running over scales as i do playing songs, if not more.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join