Page 1 of 2
I was thinkin about buying the Gibson SG Special.

would this be a bad buy?
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Yes. Especially the faded. Gibson SG Standard or '61 Reissue or no SG at all. The G-400 isn't bad, but you can get better for the money.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
I was playing one today in sound control on my work experience

Not good like
The 61 reissue is nice but well more expensive
Get a bottom end RG prestige by ibanez

There good value for money and the play like a dream

xchrisx
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
If he wanted an Ibanez, he'd say he wanted one. If I were you, Rancid_Misfits, I'd scour Ebay for some Japanese Epi SGs or an Epi Elitist '61 Reissue.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
yes pretty bad buy. so what music do you play? what amp do you use? how much would you like to spend?
dont listen to these people... the sg special is a great guitar. even the faded ones.ofcourse the 61 reissue and the standard will be better... but for the price you cant beat the special....i own one and it plays amazingly well. and if you dont like the sound you can allways do a pickup change.
i hated the special but i guess its personal preferance

Ibanez Jackson and ESP LTD are the only manufacturers i would consider now...

Maybe a Gibson Les Paul Custom in black but thats about it

xchrisx
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Don't listen to me? Don't listen to YOU! The SG Special is a step-up from the SG Special Faded, but it's still a rip. If you can get it for under $600, then I'd say consider it. At MSRP though, it's a rip. You pay $400 for the guitar itself and another $500 for the Gibson logo on the headstock. And definitely don't buy from the Guitar Center. If you're gonna get a Gibson SG, look at Mom n' Pop shops. If you're not dead-set on a Gibson SG, definitely look at a Japanese Epi SG or an Epi Elitist '61 Reissue.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by MetalheadA7X
i hated the special but i guess its personal preferance

Ibanez Jackson and ESP LTD are the only manufacturers i would consider now...

Maybe a Gibson Les Paul Custom in black but thats about it

xchrisx

Sorry to spam, but the ESP LTD Viper series are a great alternative to the Gibson SG series. They use higher quality tone woods and have much better craftsmanship. But since I'm guessing you plan punk, Rancid_Misfits, I'm not sure how good EMGs would suit you, unless you're willing to shell out some extra cash for a pup change.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by tylrbnks
dont listen to these people... the sg special is a great guitar. even the faded ones.ofcourse the 61 reissue and the standard will be better... but for the price you cant beat the special....i own one and it plays amazingly well. and if you dont like the sound you can allways do a pickup change.

Have you played other guitars in that price range? Or are you just trying to justify getting screwed paying for Gibson on the headstock? Ibannez RG1570>>>>>SG Special, Agile AL 3500>>>>>SG Special. I would even take an Epi LP custom over one.
Last edited by El Codyo at Jul 21, 2006,
Gar, me thinkies SG a total rip...GAR!
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Quote by El Codyo
Have you played other guitars in that price range? Or are you just trying to justify getting screwed paying for Gibson on the headstock? Ibannez 1570>>>>>SG Special, Agile AL 3500>>>>>SG Special. I would even take an Epi LP custom over one.

Sorry to doublepost, but you just said exactly what I was thinking!
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Quote by Ambulance X
Sorry to spam, but the ESP LTD Viper series are a great alternative to the Gibson SG series. They use higher quality tone woods and have much better craftsmanship. But since I'm guessing you plan punk, Rancid_Misfits, I'm not sure how good EMGs would suit you, unless you're willing to shell out some extra cash for a pup change.

Im trying to form an Indie band.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Quote by tylrbnks

I agree

I've tried an Epiphone LP Custom (it costed just as much as the sg special faded) and didn't like it at all. I did like the sg special faded because of the feel and sound. Neck pickup is the same as in an SG standard, bridge pickup has a slightly lesser output but you can compensate that easily.
For that price couldn't you get a used SG Standard?
SG Standards are great guitars, specials not so much, they didn't sound or feel as nice.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Ambulance X
Don't listen to me? Don't listen to YOU! The SG Special is a step-up from the SG Special Faded, but it's still a rip. If you can get it for under $600, then I'd say consider it. At MSRP though, it's a rip. You pay $400 for the guitar itself and another $500 for the Gibson logo on the headstock. And definitely don't buy from the Guitar Center. If you're gonna get a Gibson SG, look at Mom n' Pop shops. If you're not dead-set on a Gibson SG, definitely look at a Japanese Epi SG or an Epi Elitist '61 Reissue.

why not buy from Guitar Center?

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Quote by Rancid_Misfits
why not buy from Guitar Center?

They get the **** end of things when it comes to Gibson guitars. Gibson gives their best guitars to Mom n' Pop shops. Why? I don't know.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
i love my gibson sg special (bought in 04)

its soooo light and amazing to play

i did adjust a few things such as the action because it was pretty high when i got it but other than that its an amazing guitar and a great buy
"Gibson SG mint condish"

Gibson SG special
Fender 410 De Ville
although i got mine for $500 at a guitar show
"Gibson SG mint condish"

Gibson SG special
Fender 410 De Ville
we dont have a Mom and Pop's here. we just got a brand new guitar center and i tried the SG Standard there and it was really good.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Quote by Rancid_Misfits
we dont have a Mom and Pop's here. we just got a brand new guitar center and i tried the SG Standard there and it was really good.

Well, whatever floats your boat. Just be sure to try out every SG Special you can get your hands on.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by El Codyo
Have you played other guitars in that price range? Or are you just trying to justify getting screwed paying for Gibson on the headstock? Ibannez RG1570>>>>>SG Special, Agile AL 3500>>>>>SG Special. I would even take an Epi LP custom over one.

i have played many guitars in the sg specials range. And the sg special imo was a great guitar.. no frills just a player.... im sure there are other guitars that play just as well...

and are you one of those people that go read forums and just because the forum says that gibson sucks you automaticaly agree with them. Without ever trying one first.?
People who claim the SG Special is good have either happened upon a work of God or have no experience with other guitars. I've played many guitars and I've found guitars that are only $300 or $400 that absolutely rape the SG Special.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by tylrbnks
i have played many guitars in the sg specials range. And the sg special imo was a great guitar.. no frills just a player.... im sure there are other guitars that play just as well...

Yeah. They're called "Squier Bullets."

I've tried these SG Specials out and they are garbage. It is an insult to call them Gibsons.
Like said by other posters, if you like the SG Special, you are either inexperienced, or stumbled upon some kind of miracle.

The fact is that they AREN'T good guitars. They just aren't quality. They use low grade materials that you find on guitars that are a third of the price. Sure, it says Gibson on the headstock, but that doesn't mean it's not a POS.

Topic Creator, I suggest you steer clear from these SG faded Specials. There are much better alternatives for $300, let alone $750.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Japanese Epi G-400 or Epi Elitist '61 Reissue, FTW.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by Ambulance X
Japanese Epi G-400 or Epi Elitist '61 Reissue, FTW.

+1

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
why do you need a Gibson?

Why not tell us you're style and what you're looking for and we'll be happy to help you. Itd be a lot more effective to help rather than bash the SG special
i play punk rock.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Are you dead-set on an SG? If not, look at the Epi Dot series or any sort of Les Paul.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
I have an epi G-400 and it's fairly kick ass. I know a guy that got a gibson special and when I played it it felt so much heavier than mine. It was alright I guess but if I were you I'd take an epi g-400 or higher over the special, just a better guitar, for less money, what more could you want?
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
hey, dont get the SG, they are impossible to keep in octive due to the tun o matic tuner and the neck positioning witch was originally supposed to be straight threw but was disigned differently lator. they r hard to keep in tune and although they sound wonderful they r alot of work, u can get the same sound with a les paul, but the less paul is made better either way ur paying way to much for gibson.
if u thk about it even an 8000 dollar guitar takes very little money to make, Wood is cheap thats about 50 bucks at the most, electrical stuff ones it is made can be coppied under 10 bucks, parts like knobs and tremelo and stuff lets say about 50 bucks worth when the company buys them, most everything is done by machine these days so really 110 bucks is all a nice guitar is worth give or take some for different parts and such but any guitar u get will always be ripping u off, but more power to the companies if they can pull it off wingo!!
Quote by TotalyHAB
if u thk about it even an 8000 dollar guitar takes very little money to make, Wood is cheap thats about 50 bucks at the most, electrical stuff ones it is made can be coppied under 10 bucks, parts like knobs and tremelo and stuff lets say about 50 bucks worth when the company buys them, most everything is done by machine these days so really 110 bucks is all a nice guitar is worth give or take some for different parts and such but any guitar u get will always be ripping u off, but more power to the companies if they can pull it off wingo!!

You should really get your facts straight before posting something like that.

First of all, you are correct in the fact that an $8,000 doesn't cost $8,000 to make. That's obvious. However, saying that an $8,000 guitar only costs $110 to make is just idiotic. Have you looked into the actual wood prices? Have you called lumber mills and actually asked how much a single piece of high quality wood for a guitar would cost? I have. And just for a single piece of ebony for a fretboard it was going to be $100. True, I'm not buying in mass amounts, but still. How much could a guitar company really save?

It costs a lot more than $110 to make any guitar that isn't made of complete sh*t. I suggest you make a call to a lumber mill that sells exotic woods and see what exactly they'd charge for a mahogany board big enough for one guitar body, another for the set neck, and a piece of ebony or rosewood for the neck. My guess is it would be somewhere around $300. That's just for the wood. Then comes the finish, hardware, wiring, pots, pickups, tuners, labor...It all adds up.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I still think it's funny how people praise these Chinese Epiphone G-400's and bash the American Gibson SG Specials. I don't care about certain people's opinions, but a Gibson is always a step up from Epiphone, no matter what model (excluding Elitists, which I haven't played yet).

Are there any other guitar forums on the net that don't have these bashing crazes (remember Green Day and now the whole Gibson thing)?
epiphones r cheap, they sound like squires, and agiles r also a cheap knock off of les pauls. im not saying les pauls arnt rediculously overpriced but id take a les paul before an agile or an epiphone any day, y not get a 600 dollar fender until u have the money to buy an ultamate guitar. fender always has a nice sound to it and they have range. still a gibson is a good guitar, also quicksilver they make good ones too.
yea, i love my epiphone. i think it sounds great. you guys gotta play the guitar more and stop talking about why which gibson from mom and pop shops are better then the ones from guitar cneter. also epiphone is good quality compared to the price of a gibson or a prs.
i have a special faded and i personally love it- i bet half the people on here have never played one and are just trying to sound like they know what they are saying when they say they suck- not true. They sound amazing- maybe not worth 700$ but the guitar is still amazing- everything is a little overpriced when it says "Gibson" on it
^I'd just like to say that I HAVE tried it and I didn't think it was worth $250, let alone the $800 the GC I was at was charging.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Xenn speaks the truth.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist