Hey all,

I just bought a Mexican Fender P-Bass which was set up correctly in shop right after I bought it from a reliable store.

Other than the obvious "it hurts to move from guitar to bass" and "the frets are HUGE!"... I've noticed that unless I press down hard on the strings, they buzz a bit. Maybe it's because I'm used to no buzzing from my Strat, but it sound a bit much. I don't think it comes across when I play plugged-in, but I hear it a lot.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal or if there may be something wrong? Maybe I'm just spoiled on my Strat?
Maybe the action on your bass is a little too low. That, or you REALLY need to press down on the frets. Being a guitarist, I don't know too much about bass, but I know loads about getting the best sound out of your instrument. I think the transition from guitar to bass shouldn't be that bad because the only difference is the size of the instrument and what you play.

Another problem is, you bought a Mexican P-Bass. Just buy a standard from Korea or Japan, they make them much better in my opinion. Try getting some better pick-ups and REALLY check your electrical systems, because they're notorious for screwing that up too. Good luck with the bass.
I really can't buy anything else right now. I just recently picked up the P-Bass, and the quality is perfectly fine for what I'm doing (it's not a Squier...).

The action may be low... but I didn't set it low, and the guy who set it up for me is a bassist for a decent band and is pretty good (he performed a bit on it for me first).

The thing is... the strings are HUGE and so are the frets. It feels a lot harder to play, physically I mean. I may just not be used to the extra effort, since my hands are kinda small.
Hmm yeah I got a lot of fret buzz when I first started playing and my hands are pretty small too. I was thinking of lifting the bridge until I started playing and I could play it fine.

I think it is mainly just a beginner thing where you need to get used to it.
haha, "the strings are huge!"

Yeah, it is probably just because you are beginning. Press down really hard. Stretch your fingers out too.
Expert players generally come away with a lot lower actions than novices do. A set up that is perfect for the guy in the shop, is maybe a bit too demanding for you. (Don't take this as an offence; I play like a Neanderthaler myself) Having the action raised will give more feedback and more room for error, making it so much easier to find out how to improve your fretting and plucking techniques. If you go back to the shop and explain your problem, they'll be happy to sort it.
Or else they might say it is already been set up extremely high, in which case I would gladly refer to JakeXP's and Coolbassguy's responses.
Quote by Tomthedangerous

Another problem is, you bought a Mexican P-Bass. Just buy a standard from Korea or Japan, they make them much better in my opinion. Try getting some better pick-ups and REALLY check your electrical systems, because they're notorious for screwing that up too. Good luck with the bass.

Most of the Standards I've seen are Mexican.
Try pushing down harder, these strings are a lot thicker than guitar strings and just keep practicing. I always get a little bit of noise (not buzzing, but like clanging and stuff) but it's just new strings that are a bit loose or something, but if it doesn't show up on the amp I usually don't worry about it.
I would guess your strings might be a bit far from your fret board so lower your strings and do lots of finger exercises but i dont find that the frets are huge maybe caus i have freakishly long fingers :P BORN TO PLAY BASS
Thanks everyone, I'll definetely try it for awhile longer, breaking my fingers in and all. If that doesn't work, I'll raise the action.

I really appreciate everything, awesome community here.
Quote by revan1013
Thanks everyone, I'll definetely try it for awhile longer, breaking my fingers in and all. If that doesn't work, I'll raise the action.

I really appreciate everything, awesome community here.

Yeah, we're nice here
hehe.

I got my Silvertone bass straight from the box, I never had it professionally tuned up... heh, I should probably get a new one or have it fixed up.... It's good for me though, I've had it for a couple years. I almost drool over the nicer ones in Eckroth's though. XD

Anyhow, I still get slight buzzing if I don't press with exactly the right pressure, dispite having played for a while. I wasn't aware that there was an "action" I could have fixed to change this...? Heh, guess I'm still a bit of a n00b, hm?
TheBard, the FOUR-STRINGED MOFO!!
You don't need to press down on the frets as much on a guitar. You're probably not fretting the notes hard enough.

Or maybe the guy in the store plays softer than you do?