if i, a guitarist, was to play an F chord, a bassist would play any note in that scale and it would still sound okay right?
yea
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Not in my experience. I'vee noticied that the only bass notes that sound good over chords are the root note and the 5th. Major and minor 3rds tend to sound off key.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
I'm glad someone thinks so,
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
Yeah I wouldnt hold any notes other than the 5th, but all other notes in the scale will sound ok as passing notes.
It depends on how the chords are voiced in my experience. If you want to have that ability with the base try using triads or drop 2s i find that other intervals can sound good. However if you must play a barre chord you should go with the root or 5th.
It depends on the chord progression and the chord. Whenever ive played bass (ive played in the studio) i usually would just play the root note of the chord, or the 5th. Sometimes i would play arpeggios on the bass, that's good for mixing things up.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Merge
Not in my experience. I'vee noticied that the only bass notes that sound good over chords are the root note and the 5th. Major and minor 3rds tend to sound off key.

As passing tones, any note works brilliantly. The way you phrase your comment makes it seem like the bassists in this world only play roots and 5ths... obviously not true, and probably not what you meant to say, but that's how it comes across.
Looking for my India/Django.
well shoot you cant just play any random note from the F scale and assume it'll work. basslines are usually written to fill out the sound of chords, so whatever you do on bass should SUGGEST the chord you're on. this is why root notes and arpeggios work.