I've been playing for almost a year now, but instead of boring you with all that ****, I shall just say that I am rather concerned about my picking style. I do not use a loose wrist. I keep it stiff, and instead use my elbow to deviate between strings and pick up speed. Is this gonna prevent me from reach high speeds? Right this minute I can only just about pick 16ths at 100 bpm. But Im finding it difficult to progress. Im just worried cause I remember reading somewhere that wrists should most definately be kept loose. Gaaaarrr. If this is true, im gonna have a hard time breaking this habit. >_<
I would suggest learning to play with a loose wrist. I'm not saying it's the only way since I believe if it works for you do it. But, having said that a loose wrist will help you play everything faster and easier. Look at videos of good and/or fast guitarists, they all play from the wrist with little if any arm movement.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Definatly work on developing your wrist. After a week or so of practice (assuming youre using a trusty metrenome) you will be hitting way higher speeds.
Quote by edg
Yeah. Loose and relaxed is the way to go.

Although, I would say the fact you're learning to use your elbow is a good
thing. Most neglect that. But, you will need to use your wrist as well and
also watch out for too tight of a grip.

He's right

But dont put to much into your elbo or you'll turn into a greenday guitarist
><
elbow + wrist = efficient speed picking
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.