i just found out that my brain is right side dominant, and im right handed. kind of a dumb question but do you think that people like that are better at music or guitar? people like that are usually more into arts and are more creative and thats usually why left handed people are more artisitic. i dunno maybe it doesnt really matter? just a thought.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jul 21, 2006,
Nature vs. Nurture man. Your genetics only accounts for some of your skill and talent. What you do with yourself and the environment you're raised in also contribute just as much if not more than your genetics.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
I dunno about your question but how did you find out?
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
what is 'having your carrot skinned'? surely it must be painful, having your penis flayed?

'I love you so much it makes me sick'

Wanna listen to some chilled out, slightly depressing acoustic music?? --------> www.myspace.com/theriftplasticband
the right brain is more creative, not the left. I'm right brained, right handed. I'm better at strumming and picking then I am just writing leads all the time.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
people like that are usually more into arts and are more creative and thats usually why left handed people are more artisitic.

THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER!!! u said u r right handed and are more into arts than lefties, but then u said lefties are usually more artistic, isn't that the same thing!!!! get your story straight man!!! besides your brain controls the opposite side of your body. example: the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. crazy isn't it!!! do your research before making conclusions on who is "better."
OfficialPresident of the "Ac/DC for Life" club, contact me for membership.

Member #12 of "the beatles are the greatest" club, contact ridcullylives for membership.
^ is correct, right side brain controls left side o' yer body and vice versa (left brain controls the right side of yer body) therefore those who are left handed are right brained (the only ones in their right mind so to speak!!!) i personally am left handed and quite creative (if i do say so myself) not that people who are left brained/right handed aren't creative but i personally can tell the difference in music and art between the 2 (left brainers tend to put more realism into art/paintings and musically kinda rehash whats already been done, whereas right brainers think more abstract so art wise they have very strange paintings and drawings and musically tend to do just very odd things.....) just some simple things i've noticed not that all of these people fall into these categories just enough to be noticeable.
yea sorry you guys are right. i got messed up because i was thinking about lefties. but yes i ment right side sorry.
left brain tend to be very good at math, and tend to be more presise with there playing

john petrucci is a perfect example of a left brained guitar player, personally i am more left brained my self
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by taylor_j25
THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER!!! u said u r right handed and are more into arts than lefties, but then u said lefties are usually more artistic, isn't that the same thing!!!! get your story straight man!!! besides your brain controls the opposite side of your body. example: the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. crazy isn't it!!! do your research before making conclusions on who is "better."

like i said i got messed up. but any way, it is true that left handed people are most likely more artistic and creative because they use the right side more. but of course you dont have to be left handed to have your right side of the brain more dominant. so im wondering if people that use the right side are more likely to be better at music, or guitar because of the side they use.

i thought of this because i was thinking about me and my sister. me being the good player who is more creative, a better thinker and more artistic and my sister being the opposite. im thinking maybe she uses the other side more.

now im not saying that people that use the other side are going to be bad but is there an advantage to the right side people? or maybe if you play more, can you start to use the right side more?
Quote by metalmaster362
left brain tend to be very good at math, and tend to be more presise with there playing

john petrucci is a perfect example of a left brained guitar player, personally i am more left brained my self

hmmm never really thought about that. i dont really listen to him so i dont really know how he plays. i was thinking about like blues and jimi hendrix type stuff and maybe right brained people can be more creative that way. i dunno. jimi was a lefty so most likely was right brained so thats also a reason i started thinking about this.

so whould left brain people be better at maybe shredding and really technical stuff?
Haha, I'm left handed. Sweet. Creative.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Right/left handedeness has nothing to do with right/left brainedness. Each side of the brain has its characteristics; whether you're right or left handed is irrelevent. That's a different set of commands from the brain.

To prove it, I know mnay "right-brained" people who are left-handed, and vice versa... decent logic there I guess...

Brainedness is more genetic than not. If your dad and mom are engineers, chances are you will be something like that as well (even if you grow up with foster parents who aren't that profession; it's in the blood to a certain extent). Handedness is something you learn as you grow up. It's random chance... if you use your left hand more during chldhood, you'll be left handed. And vice versa.
Looking for my India/Django.
i'm right handed, play guitar with a creativeness (unlike most other's playing, kinda wierd actually, now that i think about it!!!), very creative, like to draw, but am very skilled in mathmatics. explain that one!
OfficialPresident of the "Ac/DC for Life" club, contact me for membership.

Member #12 of "the beatles are the greatest" club, contact ridcullylives for membership.
Quote by taylor_j25
i'm right handed, play guitar with a creativeness (unlike most other's playing, kinda wierd actually, now that i think about it!!!), very creative, like to draw, but am very skilled in mathmatics. explain that one!

what kind of math are you good at? it suposedly the music players that are better at more absrtact concepts like algebra than just straight math.

then agian, im sure you can use both sides of your brain i never said you couldnt.

and about developing your dominant hand and side, ive heard you can be born with that too. ive heard parents say that you can tell when a child is a baby that it favours a side over the other. i dont know if that is genetic or not though.
Award to the most crap ever typed on a forum goes to...

That's such a cop-out "I'm better and strumming than I am at playing because my brain is right-brained."

Strumming is a phsyical thing. Not something you really have to think about. Sure it does take some extent to think up-down-up-up-down. But seriously, what could that possibly have to do with writing a solo? I don't think you're applying yourself buddy.

People always confine themselves within the barriers of science.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
what kind of math are you good at? it suposedly the music players that are better at more absrtact concepts like algebra than just straight math.

All math is the same. It's math. There are more abstract concepts, but it's all a part of a very concrete world. Take any college-level applied mathematics course and you'll learn this.

There are studies (wish I could cite them ... ) that show that there is no correlation between musical understanding and abstract concepts.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by honkey
Award to the most crap ever typed on a forum goes to...

That's such a cop-out "I'm better and strumming than I am at playing because my brain is right-brained."

Strumming is a phsyical thing. Not something you really have to think about. Sure it does take some extent to think up-down-up-up-down. But seriously, what could that possibly have to do with writing a solo? I don't think you're applying yourself buddy.

People always confine themselves within the barriers of science.

Anything physical is mental as well. Your brain is the hardrive of your body. If you didn't need your brain to play, you wouldn't play anything well, perhaps you could be in a punk band. If guitar playing was all physical, you could sing, play harmonica, and play keyboard with your toes easily while playing. It takes practice to be able to sing and so forth while playing guitar because your brain is occupied with something else. When you practice a riff or chord progression, it becomes etched in your brain and you can do it almost automatically, therefore allowing you to play multiple instruments, difficult patterns, etc. Some people just learn and remember "behaviors" better. Same thing with reading sheet music, or typing on a keyboard. You know and remember what your fingers are supposed to be doing, and therefore can play something you never have before or type without looking down. The brain must be trained.

People don't confine themselves to science, science confines them to science. But people can stretch science...ex. Jimi Hendrix.
Quote by redwing_suck
All math is the same. It's math. There are more abstract concepts, but it's all a part of a very concrete world. Take any college-level applied mathematics course and you'll learn this.

There are studies (wish I could cite them ... ) that show that there is no correlation between musical understanding and abstract concepts.

ive heard that music students are better at math, but more like word problems and algebra and not stuff like the square root of 67 x 8. i dunno. its not that they are better, its that they can remember it and understand it easier than others.