im buying a Fender jazz bass standard

should i consider upgrading the pickups?

and if so which?
Do you want it to sound differently than it does? What sound do you want?
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
If you like the sound and all, it's not necessary. But if you wanna change, I recommend DiMarzio Model J's.
haha
the stock p-ups will do just fine until you become good enough to really know what your looking for, in the sound. i have played Jazz basses my whole career. mostly passive, and 1 active(Deluxe V). i have never found the need to change p-ups. a good amp will allow you to "dial in" just about any sound you need. i prefer passive p-ups, but have used a G&L ASAT bass with active humbuckers, it was very nice.
the opinions are my own.
J-Basses generally have sweet tone already, which is why you buy them. I'm sure there are better pickups out there but I've been playing my Jazz for two years and love it. I'd say give the stock pickups a chance before deciding to upgrade. Fiddle with your amp and find the tone that fits you before you go around changing things.
Quote by bassistphury
im buying a Fender jazz bass standard
should i consider upgrading the pickups?
and if so which?

Have you a good enogh amp to get any benefit from upgrading (if there is any benefit)?
I agree 100% with 83lespaulstudio the pick-ups are fine, don't be sucked in by all these gimmicks and gadgets.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by HorridxHopes
J-Basses generally have sweet tone already, which is why you buy them. I'm sure there are better pickups out there but I've been playing my Jazz for two years and love it. I'd say give the stock pickups a chance before deciding to upgrade. Fiddle with your amp and find the tone that fits you before you go around changing things.

I agree with this. Unlike guitar, switching out pickups on bass doesn't really do very much. Tone on bass is based on the quality of the manufacturing and your fingers. Play with the bass before deciding you really want to switch the pickups out. If you don't like the tone of fender jazz, I suggest buying a different bass. But I suggest Bartolini if you really need to switch them.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I agree completely. Dont think straight away that you should upgrade parts of the instrument. On my p-bass, i thought that and bought some EMG's straight away (they actually came before i got me bass). Did i install em, nope, they still in me cupboard waiting for a project to come along.
I played a jazz in me local store, the pickups sounded sweet as. On my jazz i have EMG's and they are sweet, but they r active so need batteries. If you were going to upgrade the dimarzio model J's are imo possibly the best non-stock passive pickups u can buy if ya get me.
The pick-ups on my Fender Jazz sound fine, I mean you really don't have to upgrade unless you have money to burn.
Quote by unplugtheradio
fuck sigs

Quote by alex_haeni
Damn you kbass, you're good.

chances are, a better amp will affect the tone 3 times more than better pick ups will. so instead of throwing 300 bucks at new pick ups upgrade your amp. then you can hear the real beauty of jazz basses.