So for the longest time, I had this les paul body (ibanez), that I got off ebay. Now that I have time for it. Kinda. I was thinking about sanding it down, repainting it, and giving it a neck. I was taking some measurements, and I'm guessing warmoth telecaster-heel style necks would fit the body, I'm also thinking about Kluson tuners. I'm planning on having a friend of mine (art/media major) paint something on the body.

There's no particular reason I'm calling it the retro (les) paul. I just thought it'd be a cool name.

I'm gonna go on it in 2 steps:

Step 1:
1) Sanding down
2) Priming (I'm thinking 2-3 coats. Any suggesstions/corrections?)
3) On top of that, I was gonna have my artist friend paint (she said Acrylic would work, opinions on this?)
4) Clearcoat over that (I was also thinking 2-3 coats.)
5) Paint the headstock.

Step 2:
1) New humbuckers? I'll see how the current ones sound, but they're old and rusty.
2) New pots, but I'll check the humbuckers first.
3) New wiring.
4) Maybe a new pickup selector switch, output jack, jackplate, etc etc.

While I know what I'm doing with the electronics. I'm a complete n00b when it comes to sanding/painting. I was originally going to try and get a power sander, but I don't want to buy a new one (I have one back home, which I'm too lazy to get). So I'm going to painstakingly hand sand it. No worries, I have plenty of time on my hands. But anyway. How long should I wait in-between coats? I've heard anywhere from a day to a week.

Anyway, here're pics of the body I'm working with.

Please ignore the tape. It's the only thing holding the bridge humbucker, the tune-o-matic bridge, and the stopbar onto the body.

The back. It's pretty scratched up, as you can see.

The Jackplate, why it looks so crappy, I don't know.

Apparantly, it looks like some fool tried to glue a bolt on neck down to the body. Some people do silly things sometimes.

Here are some sample illustrations my artist friend's done.

This was a computer illustration.

A mural on a wall.

Pen n' Ink drawing.
wow, your friend is one talented artist. i reckon having a hand doing the 'rock' sign on it somewhere would be cool (maybe the back)

Hand sanding is hard. I don't recommend it unless you're a cheap ass bastard.

Yikes, it's teh plywood! I'm guessing? (I'm a complete wood n00b if you haven't noticed).
plywood doesnt have THAT bad a sound, also its nice and light
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
^You must be one of those guys who just as no ear for tone axeslinger.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
actually i dont see much difference in plywood. i dont see much differece in tone wood. i think alot of the sound has to do with the way a guitar is made and the electronics in it. i think that pickups have the biggest impact on sound. other then that i think wood is wood.

so before anyone flames me and says that im a jack ass and i dont know what the hell im talking about because *add whatever stupid reason you want*, just know that im saying this in my own opinion.

as for greenbox, if it sounds good, or at least sounded good, then apparently its a decent wood.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
i get rough on guitars..i had a little plywood one that couldn't hold up for that sorta thing..and shielding spray soaks in, and shielding tape doesn't stick well..as for actual sound on one..they're quite warm, but have no sustain. i have no real issue with tone, just durability.
Quote by uuhi
Quitting fags was a bitch for me so I started eating more than usual.
Quote by absinthe5765
You can tell its plywood on the side of the neck cavity. You didnt need to sand it all the way down.

Problem is, I never actually bothered to think about what kind of wood my guitar was made out of. It just kinda struck me when the sides showed that it was plywood while I was sanding. Even though I should've noticed it in the neck cavity.
thats pretty cool but it is plywood so its not going to have a good lp sound, so maby you could pull some sustain out with a epoxied on neck, a kick ass graphite bridge and neck and maby even make it a string through. and glueing on a neck is only a bad idea for the person who has to clean it up afterwords. but hey maby you could make a few onboard effects to put in it like a tubescreamer, or a booster. imagine that pull out your volume pot and sounds like a tubescreamer!!
So what if it's plywood? You've got some kickass amps and pedals! If those won't make it sound better, I don't know what will.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

Quote by Mui
So what if it's plywood? You've got some kickass amps and pedals! If those won't make it sound better, I don't know what will.

An OCD guitarist can smell bad tone from up to 40 miles away. They will then start to stalk the presence of bad tone until their nose brings them to the toneless mothership. Usually the guitarist will beat the badtonebeared about the head and body.
Quote by absinthe5765
An OCD guitarist can smell bad tone from up to 40 miles away. They will then start to stalk the presence of bad tone until their nose brings them to the toneless mothership. Usually the guitarist will beat the badtonebeared about the head and body.

Wow. I was just thinking that the pwnsomeness of his amps/pedals could drive away some of that bad tone, but I guess not to the "OCD" guitarists.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

I prefer to call them audiophiles. A friend of mine uses a regulated power supply. What does it do? It regulates the 120v line from the wall. He believes that plugging your amp into the same line that powers your room lights just RUINS the tone. He says that after he got his power supply, his amp "sings." A little overboard if you ask me, but whatever floats his boat. Though, I'll be honest, I've heard of people using variac's to adjust the line voltage for amplifiers to change tone, so maybe he's right and I'm the fool.

In anycase, I'll probably get to finish sanding sometime tomorrow. Priming will follow, sometime in the future.
That looked pretty nice in the first place, but I'm a sucker for black beauties+binding.

Have you decided what design your friend's gonna' do on it yet? Maybe give some kind of reto 60's vibe to it?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
That looked pretty nice in the first place, but I'm a sucker for black beauties+binding.

Have you decided what design your friend's gonna' do on it yet? Maybe give some kind of reto 60's vibe to it?

Oh trust me, I liked it too (binding is a pretty thing), but I felt it was a bit too scratched up. I don't exactly know what my friend's gonna do. I don't even know if it's gonna look retro, I just wanted to call it that. We'll see what happens.
Finally got around to painting it. Now I'm gonna lightly sand it down, and put on a second coat in a few days.

Quote by greenbox
I prefer to call them audiophiles. A friend of mine uses a regulated power supply. What does it do? It regulates the 120v line from the wall. He believes that plugging your amp into the same line that powers your room lights just RUINS the tone. He says that after he got his power supply, his amp "sings." A little overboard if you ask me, but whatever floats his boat. Though, I'll be honest, I've heard of people using variac's to adjust the line voltage for amplifiers to change tone, so maybe he's right and I'm the fool.

I got a regulated & conditioned power supply to protect my amp and pedals from surges and spikes and such, and I do have to say that it improved my tone. The pedals powered through it sound the same but the amp does have a slightly different character when it's plugged straight into the wall. This only seems to be the case w/tube amps though. It's also worth noting that the voltage may differ from day to day from your wall, so it'll also make your amp more consistent- different currents from the wall WILL influence your tone. The conditioner will smooth those currents out and your amp will always sound just like it did yesterday - very helpful for recording & such where subtle changes are noticeable.

/useless monologue.
did the guitar have binding?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Yeah, I painted over it. The entire guitar was in pretty crappy condition anyways, so no big loss. That or I was too lazy to mask it off... either way it's painted over.
just wondering, it's your project.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Quote by Ippon
Just say the grain is very straight

and 3 mm thick haha
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...