I've been trying to decide which Strat I should buy as an all-purpose guitar, and I find the Koa Strat to be absolutely beautiful. Other than the Koa finish, what else is different about this strat from a standard? Is there a tonal difference? I'm in the price range of about $300-$800.
I think koa is tonally similiar to mahogany, a little brighter, but without losing that warmth of the mahogany. I personally think Koa is tonally superior, and definiltey looks better IMO. Most standard strats are alder or ash, which would probably be a brighter sounding wood. What kind of music do you play, that might determine whether you want that brighter sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I play classic rock, hard rock, metal (i mostly play metal on my 7-string), and experimental stuff. Yeah the koa looks amazing.
yeah, I think it should work fine IMO. If you were looking for more of the "twangy" blues sound, I would say stick with the brighter woods and single coils. Does it come with humbuckers?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Actually the koa strat comes equiped with seymour duncan alnico II pickups. They look like they are single coils, but they are actually all humbuckers. I definitely think this is a great buy.
Mmm, thought so. Think I saw one a while back in a catalog, but haven't seen it since.
Those Koa Fenders are not solid koa. It's just a basswood body with a thin koa veneer. A veneer won't affect the sound much, if at all.
but basswood is somewaht tonaly similar, nto quite as bright tho but still really mellow, one of my favorites

Originally Posted by grungefan89
Geeze, why don't you just give the kid a pistol to shoot at his head? Telling someone to go buy a B.C. Rich - and on a budget - is like giving someone a gun and telling them to commit suicide.