i vote jcm 800, and if you need evn more gain but an overdrive pedal of the dirty channel or in the 800's case crank the gain on the amp and od pedal
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
So if i get the 800 and lets say an ESP M-II should my sound be exactly like slayers?
Quote by adonis7
So if i get the 800 and lets say an ESP M-II should my sound be exactly like slayers?

Lol you can't just get EXACTLY the same sound as slayer just like that. You have to tweak settings and so on to get a similar sound.
You'd also have to crank it to get slayerish gain with or without an OD pedal. From what I've heard, the 800 has the most classic tone, with a great crunch to it. The 900 has more gain, but it's harsher and more modern sounding than the 800. You should try them out before you buy them, and see which you prefer as tone is all subjective. Can you try either of them out before you buy them?
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
just to let ppl know the 900s were first produced in the mid 80s, they had a better gain circuit but trueists believe it cut some of the true tone i vote JCM800 with an overdrive pedal you cant beat it
Neither. Marshalls are all beginner amps. They aren't good for anyone with taste. They sound horrible. They are all garbage.

I personally have a JCM 800. It has a lot of mid range and sounds crunchy. There are a lot of different JCM 800 models so before buying you might think about what you want. Some have more gain than others and they come with and without a master volume. They come as stack and combo and in 50W and 100W. The JCM 900 uses electronics that add some extra solidstate gain (800 does that aswell in certain models but at a smaller degree). I chose the 800 myself because of the more vintage sounding tone and if you want an amp that has a more modern sounding type of gain there is a lot more on the market than the JCM 900. You will probably be able to get the "marshall"-sound out of both though and I'm biased towards the 800 because some bands I like use them.
Fugazi played JCM800, so I say 800 as it sounds as if it's a tad more versatile to my ear (seeing as Slayer and Fugazi sound a little different). A little more bang for your buck.
#DTWD
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Neither. Marshalls are all beginner amps. They aren't good for anyone with taste. They sound horrible. They are all garbage.

You mean when u said in this one thread that u f**k cows? And that your wrist is messed up from jerking other guys dicks.....? Sorry..., the truth comes out?

Threadstarter Marshall JCMs are all good, i dont see why you complaining, try both out and see the ddifference if not, plus you want metal, get a damn mesa or engl....!
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
well the elad guitarist for trivium,corey, uses the jcm 900 wiht a tube scremer and trivium has a good sound so id go with that
they started making jcm900's in 1990. Some models used diode clipping for added gain, but don't confuse solid state transistors with diodes. Diodes can actually improve your tone a lot depending on what you want. The amps Slash uses has diodes. If you get an 800, to get the most gain out of it use an OD pedal and higher output pick-ups.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

That's just brilliant. So Marshalls are for beginners like Hendrix, Zeppelin, Zakk Wylde, Slayer, Angus Young, Jeff Beck, Dave Navarro, Slash, Yngwie Malmsteen and hundreds of others? What are you, 13? So what amps are good, then?

Pure idiocy.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

wow, what a surprise ihearthetfield makes yet another incredibly retarded post , i guess you dont really "heart hetfield" if you dont like marshalls as i believe he used them earlier in his career, marshall jcm800s are easily some of the best amps for classic rock and a little bit of metal, jcm900 are amazing too with a little more gain and its a little more modern voiced, if i had the choice id take the 800
Quote by Teleprompters
wow, what a surprise ihearthetfield makes yet another incredibly retarded post , i guess you dont really "heart hetfield" if you dont like marshalls as i believe he used them earlier in his career, marshall jcm800s are easily some of the best amps for classic rock and a little bit of metal, jcm900 are amazing too with a little more gain and its a little more modern voiced, if i had the choice id take the 800

Yup, both Hammet and Hetfield used Marshalls in the early days and the Slayer guys both use JCM800's still. Saying "Marshalls are for beginners" is like saying "Stratocasters are for beginners". I'd wager there are more pro guitar players using Marshall than any other amp. Their list of endorsees is like a who's who of legendary players.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.