I am currently in a band where we play metal/hardcore and I do not have a very good amp. I have been looking for a half-stack that will not destroy me of cash (I am broke) but will sound good (i.e. high dist. with good cut mids and good low-end)

I have kind of narrowed it down to two amps, Crate's GT1200H/G412SL half-stack and the Randall RX120DHS half-stack. I have played the GT1200 combo already and liked it a lot with its voicing control (mids). It was a little weak on the overall gain though.

I have heard good things about Randall's solid state distortion/gain and I wanted to see if you guys knew anything about it.

Also, if you have any suggestions on another half-stack package (not the MG100DFXH or I will hate you) that isn't more than $200 more than these two ($500).

Thanks in advance
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
$700 wont get you far, you could get a 4x12 cab for that much.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
i just got the crate last week. it's more than loud enough for any type of music, and it has great lows and mids. i haven't tried many others, but i'm satisfied with it.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
do you think that I could get away with a more expensive head and a cheaper cab?
POOP
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Budget is a b*tch!! Go for the Crate if you like it, add a BossMT2 metalzone pedal and your set for gain.
Quote by robsta_65
do you think that I could get away with a more expensive head and a cheaper cab?

the cab will probably blow out/crap out if it's a cheaper cab.
the way i look at it is, the cab should be of equal or higher quality than the head. that's just me, so, yeah.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
get a peavy valve king head, which is $499 and a Beringher Cab, which is $229, from musicians friend
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
Peavey 5150/6505 combo used.
B-52 AT-212 combo new.

I use the head version of the second amp for a hardcore band and it works perfect. The 5150 has more gain but the cleans aren't that great. You won't get that great of a stack for $700. You will get alot more out of a combo.
but does anyone know who the Randall sounds?
POOP
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Get the AT-212 or 5150/6505.

Don't go solid state when you have a possible tube amp available to you. O.o
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Secondhand 5150 head, avatar 2x12...

Save up to however much it costs, it's probable the best balance of cost and performance.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit