I've been playing guitar for 2 and a half years and now taking a two year course at College in Music Technology.

The thing is I hardly know any theory at all. Im looking to get a music teacher for half an hour a week just to teach me theory. I've heard that I should get a piano teacher and ask them just to teach me theory, no playing. This would be better than a guitar teacher?

What would you reccomend.

Thank you.
Yeah i'm considering exactly the same thing. I can get lessons frmo my gran for free, so i might take her up on her offer
Yeah I would like to learn Piano, but dont have one at home nor do I have the space for one so I think it would be pointless just playing piano once a week.

Plus I feel I would learn more theory if I learnt just theory alone.

But I think I would look into learning the piano also for future reference.
The typical piano teacher is probably smarter than the typical guitar teacher, so to answer the question I think: Yes.
"When I started obeying the voices in my head, the music started getting awesome."
-John Frusciante [Guitar World]

Member #5 of the "PEOPLE SUCK" club, nothing suss
you should defenetly consider it, i find theory is much more clear on a keyboard or a piano as aposed to a guitar. i started taking piano lessons a couple of months ago and i understand music theory much more now.

but then again, if you dont feel comfortable with a piano or keyboard, stick with the guitar
In the process of learning music theory, you'll pretty much need to learn piano. Not so much the physical instrumentation of it, but rather understanding the concept of black keys and white keys relating to half steps and accidentals.

Quote by Phatty
Yeah I would like to learn Piano, but dont have one at home nor do I have the space for one so I think it would be pointless just playing piano once a week.

Plus I feel I would learn more theory if I learnt just theory alone.

But I think I would look into learning the piano also for future reference.
Nope, piano will help you learn theory. They're not really all that separate.
Well at the moment I'm going through the site

musictheory.net

And using my little keyboard I have (VERY old keyboard). I feel that a teacher would help a lot though.
learning piano will definately help in the theory process, the visualization is easier for you (in my opinion)
Also, how hard are the grades for theory? I know it depends on how much you learn it, but has anyone got the basics of what you need to know for grades 1-5, or know of a site that has the criteria?
All i would say is that yes learn the theory on piano and i think you will grasp it much more quickly than you would on guitar and it is ok if you do this on piano because you then have a better understanding of intervals i think but what makes guitar theory harder is the postions and i think that no matter how much you know of theory it is still going to be hard to apply it to the guitar because your still going to have to memorise the basic chords. Find where all the scale shapes are on the guitar and have to go throught the process of trying to memorise and build of them wereas if you were to get a good guitar teacher i think it would be easier seeing as you would be learning the theory and applying it at the same time. Just my opinion
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now