I've narrowed the wah selection down to the Dunlop Wylde Wah, The Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie Wah, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Dunlop Crybaby From Hell.

Just a few questions....

1. Which one do you think is the best? Im looking for a somewhat versitile lead wah.

2. What's the difference between the two Steve Vai wahs? Both have great ratings.

3. Would it work fine through my Vox Ad30vt, as well as the Boss OD-20 distortion pedal?

I can get them all for about the same price, i've almost set on either the Wylde wah or one of the Vai wahs.
well, I know that Dunlop Wah's are very reliable.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Dunlops are nice, but the ibanez weeping demon is my personal favorite at the moment, its not on the list but i suggest you consider it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 21, 2006,
i personally dont like the morley wahs because if your foot isnt on it, then it isnt on. i like being able to control things like that withought constant supervision.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Definately the Dunlop Crybaby From Hell. Or if you want the same wah (more or less) for less money, go with a Dunlop 535Q.
I've played dunlops, and they're good but I'd like a Morley..because of all that optical thing, no pots to wear down and replace
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
Weeping Demon
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by TJM2482
If I get the Morley, I have to have my foot on it at all times?

I think the Bad Horsie 2 Vai one saw some type of stomp button on it, it looks like the button thats under the foot pedal on crybaby's, but on the side, check it out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-Steve-Vai-Bad-Horsie-2-Contour-Wah-Pedal?sku=150751

http://morleypedals.com/dvai-2.html

That switch lets you switch between Countour mode and Bad Horsie (regular) mode. To enage the wah, it's switchless, just step and go.
Eh, it kinda sucks that the Morley wah is only on when you step on it, but I love it's sound and how it has two different wah types.

I would not trade my budda wah for anything...
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Budda's are awesome, how do they handle high gain?

I personally would go for either Dunlop, they both have some good positives, Wylde has a Fasel, CFH has Q-knob, etc.
I never play with high gain, so I cant give you an accurate answer...but if it handles high gain like everything else then it should sound great.
I am really GASing for a budda amp, but I'm hoping I can sit this one out without wasting any more cash.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

It's not technically wasting if you get a badass amp...
EDIT: I just kinda seemed like the devil guy on your shoulder saying "buy the amp, you know you want to, don't worry about money, you only really need one kidney."
I have the CFH, and I like the wah a lot. It has a ton of features. It really is just like a hot-rodded 535Q, with an extra sweep control, adjustable clutch, red Fasel inductor, and dual output/same side in-out option.

If you can find a cheap Dunlop GCB-95, the basic cheapo crybaby, it's very simple to modify and get tones similiar to the ZW or Hendrix wahs, depending what values you use. If you can use a soldering iron, there are a ton of links on the net, and I think there are links in the Gear customization section of the forum. About $15 in parts for some resistors, caps, and a DPDT switch can get you a really good sounding wah, with true bypass. I made a before and after clip of my modded GCB-95 , it's at http://erock503.dmusic.com under "GCB-95 Mods".
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by El Codyo
Budda's are awesome, how do they handle high gain?

I personally would go for either Dunlop, they both have some good positives, Wylde has a Fasel, CFH has Q-knob, etc.

Fasel and Q-knob
Quote by Erock503
I have the CFH, and I like the wah a lot. It has a ton of features. It really is just like a hot-rodded 535Q, with an extra sweep control, adjustable clutch, red Fasel inductor, and dual output/same side in-out option.

If you can find a cheap Dunlop GCB-95, the basic cheapo crybaby, it's very simple to modify and get tones similiar to the ZW or Hendrix wahs, depending what values you use. If you can use a soldering iron, there are a ton of links on the net, and I think there are links in the Gear customization section of the forum. About $15 in parts for some resistors, caps, and a DPDT switch can get you a really good sounding wah, with true bypass. I made a before and after clip of my modded GCB-95 , it's at http://erock503.dmusic.com under "GCB-95 Mods".

I would really like to buy a wah and not have to mod it, for a while at least.
Quote by El Codyo
It's not technically wasting if you get a badass amp...
EDIT: I just kinda seemed like the devil guy on your shoulder saying "buy the amp, you know you want to, don't worry about money, you only really need one kidney."

Hah, as of now I have enough badass amps...
Two Rock
Fuchs
Marshall

the budda wouldn't see enough time to justify it... the GAS is split between the Budda and a Victoria Bassman clone...
and, I'm close to broke.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

The best would be a Teese McCoy Wizard Wah.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Well does the whole "you have to step on it" thing for the Morley is bad? It's the only thing keeping me from getting it, if it is. Im ordering 2 pedals tomorrow for my birthday (other is the Boss OD-20).

The two Dunlops and the Vai all sound great, it's so hard to decide!
personally, i like the bad horsie because you don't have to stomp to turn it on. you walk away and it turns off, as well. it has 2 different sounds, which is cool too. that's the one i'm gonna get before long (when i have the money.)
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
personally, i like the bad horsie because you don't have to stomp to turn it on. you walk away and it turns off, as well. it has 2 different sounds, which is cool too. that's the one i'm gonna get before long (when i have the money.)

Yeah im leaning towards it. If it had to option to leave it on without your foot on it, I would be completely set on it
Well I am not in a band, so I wouldnt really need the option to leave the wah on, since il be in my room, or playing in a garage with people.

If I ever gig, I wouldnt be running around, so I dont really think ill need that auto-wah type thing you get with the Dunlops.

I think the Vai is the way to go
Quote by Cmogi10

I am really GASing for a budda amp, but I'm hoping I can sit this one out without wasting any more cash.

Ahh, the Budda's sounded so good at NAMM.
How does the Classic or Original Crybaby compare to the Wylde and Dimebag ones?

I know Satriani uses one, and I love his tone.
Were are the vox wah supporters? I like original vox the most.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Do you think the lack of an auto-wah type thing that the Dunlops have when your foot isnt on it will take away from the Steve Vai wah?

Im starting to let go of the Wylde Wah, since i've heard it's tone is really deep. I guess it's down to the Vai and the Dimebag
Quote by Mascot
Original sucks ass. Satriani probably has his modded.

He said classic too, not just original. (Joe probably would know better than to even touch an original) Plus, it says that Joe uses a 535Q.
Last edited by wylde_overdrive at Jul 22, 2006,
I think im gonna go with the Crybaby From Hell. Im reading reviews, and they all say it's supurb and a couple mention that it'd better than the Vai one. My only worry aboutu it was that I couldnt get a good clasic rock tone, and that it wouldnt be versitile, but after reading these reviews, I was wrong, everyone says its very verisitile.
Satriani used a red Wizard Teese Wah from time to time.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster