It get's frustrating because I've been playing guitar for some time and I am a decent guitar player, but no nowhere the level that I should be.

My two biggest issues is timing and hearing progression. I play with a metronome and was doing Metallica stuff, like tonight, I am doing Enter Sandman and recording it down on Audacity and it pisses me off because when I replay it, I notice there is a timing issue.... and sometimes I'll hit 6 palm mutes before hitting the F power cord.

One thing I notice is the coolest bands have very tight timing... even if the guitar player isn't so special, the tightness is what everyone judges now-a-days. I want to be TIGHT!

Any suggestion on how to get right on?

-Frusterated guitarist in Michigan!

Thx
Quote by MrSandMan
It get's frustrating because I've been playing guitar for some time and I am a decent guitar player, but no nowhere the level that I should be.

My two biggest issues is timing and hearing progression. I play with a metronome and was doing Metallica stuff, like tonight, I am doing Enter Sandman and recording it down on Audacity and it pisses me off because when I replay it, I notice there is a timing issue.... and sometimes I'll hit 6 palm mutes before hitting the F power cord.

One thing I notice is the coolest bands have very tight timing... even if the guitar player isn't so special, the tightness is what everyone judges now-a-days. I want to be TIGHT!

Any suggestion on how to get right on?

-Frusterated guitarist in Michigan!

Thx

You need to get with my girlfriend. I want her to be tight, too.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
I know it's a cliche' now...but play everything slowly first. That can work out the timing kinks in a song. Don't play a song all the way through to practice it all the time, snipe out the sections that are trouble spots, than when you are winding down your practice session, play it through a couple times.
I have this text ready to quick-paste.

Use a metronome.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Hypnot1st
I have this text ready to quick-paste.

Use a metronome.

As stated twice in the OP- "I use a metronome"

Metronome doesn't help get out of the funk of inconsistent palm mutes.

Thanks Maj_Tom. I just started doing what you suggest. It's just annoying how most guitar players can pick up on a progression while I have to work hard to get it right.
well maybe ytour paying too much attention to the meteronome.... but i dont know..... i never had one, and people say my timing/rhythm is good.....
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Quote by Good Riddance
well maybe ytour paying too much attention to the meteronome.... but i dont know..... i never had one, and people say my timing/rhythm is good.....

Yeah, some people are natural at timing, while others (me) have to learn it like learning a foreign language.

Check out my Signature and listen to the Heavy Metal "Sponge Bob Square Pants" song that I wrote

The timing is off a bit in it- Ugggh!

Another song on there is "One More Fix" (instrumental w/keyboard) it's off a bit too.

http://mrsandman.dmusic.com/