Hi all...i am a newbie here so pls excuse my ignorance.

I have the following equipment for my rig...i was wondering what r ur opinions on the best setup,i.e., which stompbox to put where in my rig...in the fx loop or where. I am a huge Vai fan so i am looking for a similar sound

1. TC Electronics G-System
2. Morley Little Alligator Volume Pedal
3. Morley Bad Horsie Wah
4. Keeley-modded TS9DX FLEXI-4X2
5. Analogman-modded DS-1/Pro
6. Digitech Whammy WH4
7. MXR EVH Phase 90

any help is much appreciated
Last edited by DarkStarBD at Jul 22, 2006,
i have a Universe 777 and a Jem 7V.

using a VHT 2902 Power Amp into 2 marshall 1960 cabs
Last edited by DarkStarBD at Jul 21, 2006,
the tc has to go in the FX loop.

i'd go

all the overdrives and such first
then the phase 90 and whammy
then the wah
and the volume, doesn't really mater.

but the tc has to go in the loop.

EDIT: you need a pre-amp dude...
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by The_Figgy

i saw this setup...but Vai is using the Legacy's preamp but i am planning to use the ts9 and the ds-1 instead...

i am trying to get a setup kinda like this one

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/steve_G_large.jpg

i know...he is still using the legacy for preamp....but i cannot get those

i was also thinking of getting the TC ELectronics Vintage Pre-Drive (VPD1)...which is supposedly an ideal match for the g-system (according to tc website http://www.tcelectronic.com/VPD1)

I was thinking of getting the Marshall JMP-1 for preamp but until then gotta do with what i have But the prob i'd have then is i wudnt be able to control both the jmp-1 and the whammy with the g-system at once with midi
Last edited by DarkStarBD at Jul 21, 2006,
Quote by gpderek09
the tc has to go in the FX loop.

i'd go

all the overdrives and such first
then the phase 90 and whammy
then the wah
and the volume, doesn't really mater.

but the tc has to go in the loop.

EDIT: you need a pre-amp dude...

so the stomps would go before the preamp or in the pre-amps fx loop before the tc?
well since you're going with a rack set up, the boosts should go out front of the pre-amp.

i'd suggest an ENGL e530 pre, as it's cheap and functional, and it sounds great.
and rack set ups dont have an FX loop so the TC should go inbetween the pre-amp and the power amp.

the phaser and whammy don't really mater where they go, depends where you think they sound best.

i'd put the volume out front as well, and the wah first.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

DarkStar...I gotta say, I'm gear envy of you right now. Here's my thoughts on your rig.

The position of the whammy does affect it's performance. If it's placed too late in the chain, it will have problems tracking the effected signal. And, I know you've already heard this, but you need a preamp. As far as your concern about controlling the JMP-1 and the Whammy through MIDI, you can, you need to set the JMP for MIDI Thru though...that shouldn't be a problem. I'd keep the whammy on the floor in front of you and do without MIDI for a less complicated setup.

So here's my layout for your rig...

1. Guitar
2. Digitech Whammy
3. Morley Volume
4. Morley Wah
5. G-System Input

G-System Loop 1 - TS9
G-System Loop 2 - DS1
G-System Loop 3 - Phaser

G-System Insert Send - out to Input of Preamp

Preamp FX Loop Send - Back to G-System Insert Return

G-System Output - out to Preamp FX Loop Return

Preamp Output - out to Input of 2902

It looks complicated, but it will work better than the MIDI system. It's difficult to tell you much now since you don't have a preamp. The Whammy, Volume and Wah are out in front of the G-System because I'd want instant access to those without having to make sure a certain loop is turned on on the G-System. You can control the TS9, DS1 and the Phaser using the G-System Loops. The reason why I've got your signal going out to your preamp using the G-System Insert is so you can move the Preamp anywhere in your signal chain using the G-System management setup. This will give you max flexibility for signal routing.

This is an impressive rig as is, but a nice tube preamp is essential here. The VPD1 is just another distortion pedal, but if you really wanted it, throw it on Loop 4 and you should be fine.

As far as preamps go, it depends on the sound you want. I know you're in Vai land, but there's no sense in getting a Carvin at this point with your rig (you've already got your cab and power amp). If you want to stay with VHT, I'd recommend the GP3 Valvulator Pre. The Boogie Tri-Axis is a very flexible preamp, so I'd also recommend that one. I've never been able to get anything but a Marshall sound with the JMP-1...if it's something you want, go for it, I just don't like being stuck with one preamp sound.

Hopefully this helps you out man.
@gpderek09>>>

Thanks man but unfortunateley, there are no ENGL dealers here in my country :-(

@TwoString>>>

You just read my mind, dude! Thanxs a lot. Hmm...abt the JMP-1, ya its gonna always sound like a Marshall, but with the Triaxis, isn't it gonna always sound like a Mesa/Boogie?

Well, i guess evryone gotta choose his own sound.....
Yeah man, I guess you're right...but the main part of the "boogie" tone is the twin/triple rectifier setup...you'd be using the VHT power amp, so it's not the typical boogie rectifier power amp. You'd really have to plug everything in with your rig to see how it works together. Keep me posted on how everything goes (PM me if I don't pay attention to this thread...I get lost in here sometimes and forget where I commented )
If you really want to get as close as you can to Vai's tone, sell off your amp and get a Legacy.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
i would....but with the shipping cost and import tax and dealer commisions....it would cost me atleast double, if not more
Vai has used Marshalls in the past, and looking back on it, he also used VHT power amps at one point. He would plug into the front end of a Carvin, Bogner or Marshall amp and use the VHT to power his cabs. Of course he's only using the Legacy amps these days, but you could go with the JMP-1 and channel them through your VHT power amps. My personal choice would be the boogie triaxis though. I wouldn't use Steve's gear as the only way to get his sound as his sound has remained pretty constant no matter what he's plugged into.
Im 14 and i dont understand anything....what does pre-amp do? Is it like a stabilizer so you dont get poor sound quality or feedback or lack in power or does it make a smoother transaction for pedals on/off?
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
I don't see how you beeing 14 is an excuse, just ask the question.

A preamp is exactly as the name its the pre amplifier it sets the tone which is then fed into the power amplifier which boosts the signal to the desired volume so it is powerufl enough of a signal to be heard through the speaker.
Quote by TwoString
Vai has used Marshalls in the past, and looking back on it, he also used VHT power amps at one point. He would plug into the front end of a Carvin, Bogner or Marshall amp and use the VHT to power his cabs. Of course he's only using the Legacy amps these days, but you could go with the JMP-1 and channel them through your VHT power amps. My personal choice would be the boogie triaxis though. I wouldn't use Steve's gear as the only way to get his sound as his sound has remained pretty constant no matter what he's plugged into.

actually thats why i went for the VHT...as i cannot get a carvin legacy here. i was waiting on the pre-amp as i believe choosing the right one would be very important. JMP-1 would give me the flexibility to select the presets from the footcontroller of the G-System. I am a practicing musician and will need tones other than Vai's from time to time....
I'd say go for the Marshall then. I think it would complete your rig quite nicely. Send me some recordings or the rig as soon as you can man...can't wait to hear everything in action. If you ever get bored with anything, make sure you send it to me
personaly, i'd go for the tri-axis as it's more versitle. it's voiced more like the mesa mark IV than the recto's so it wont really be that signautre mesa tone. well it will still have the tone, but it wont be as prominent or thick as with the rectos.

the tri-axis is a great pre-amp and it's midi so you could probably switch it with the g-system footswitch.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by TwoString
I'd say go for the Marshall then. I think it would complete your rig quite nicely. Send me some recordings or the rig as soon as you can man...can't wait to hear everything in action. If you ever get bored with anything, make sure you send it to me

Check this out.
http://www.darkstarbd.com/music/btc.wma