Well here is my situation: I started learning around Feburary of this year, trying to play guitar. The main problem is that I started off playing (not really learning too much) stuff I was listening to, mainly blink-182, Green Day, ect: power chord stuff. Well I was thinking it was pretty hard learning but I felt pretty good because I was playing it well. (I did this myself, didn't take lessons)

Now, recently I've realized that was a pretty bad mistake because I really haven't learned anything except how to play power chords! I've looked around at some other stuff (Goo Goo Dolls, but some metal stuff mainly) and it seems alot more difficult than what I've been doing.

Although blink 182 and similar bands are what I mainly listen to and have enjoyed playing, I really know I should try learning other stuff now, before its been too long, but I have no idea what to do. I can't take lessons (mainly because of money and time) so if anyone has any suggestions what to do please help. As I said, those power chord bands are mainly what I listen to but I won't advance with that. What should I do? Thanks.
Learn some sabbath. never hurts and it really helped me develop my ears.
the lesser known of the 4
is power chords all you know? or do you know bar chords and open chords as well?
Some Guy?
Hey, I've been going since January and I've had the same problem. What I think u should do is try playing more songs like stairway to heaven and Hotel California. They are both great songs that are extremely diffucult to learn.

But no matter wut keep playing, make up your own riffs or try a new type of playing. Try Blues, Indie, Alternative, Punk, heck even emo. These are all different and require skills. If i were you I would try Going with the blues. It is not very catchy unless your a long time listener but it has a lot finger picking and requires great timing.
Good luck and don't quit playing
i was the same way. i would play mostly nirvana but i wanted to learn more. i got a book and learned a little about thoery and stuff. and scales and improvising over chords like the 12 bar blues. thats always fun for me. but my advice (may not be good) is to get a good book and just learn stuff from it ex: scales,arpeggios, etc.
:stickpoke

ITALY-2006 WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!
What you so is simple.

Stop listening to ****ty bands Like Greenday And Blink, and listen to complicated metal bands like Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, Metallica[Old] , Exodus, Sepultura, Led Zeppelin etc. Also some shredders like Vai, Satch, Malmsteen and petrucci.

Then after listening to that, learn the tabs and practice the techniques within those songs, because the music you listen to has very little technique and you will end up becoming a circus clown guitar player.

Listen to some classical too, some old blues, jazz.

As a guitarist you need to think differently than from when you were just a fan. You need to think outside the box and listen to other bands and music forms you have'nt heard before.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by Eternal_One
As a guitarist you need to think differently than from when you were just a fan. You need to think outside the box and listen to other bands and music forms you have'nt heard before.

I really liked that whole post, but this part was the best. Thanks alot for that thought.

Well with those notes does anyone have maybe a spicific song I could try practicing with for awhile? I've looked at Stairway to Heaven way back in the begining and it seemed really hard. Recently I went back and though it seemed less challening now it still feels overwhelming coming off of those darn power chords. I was looking at some other stuff and thought maybe Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" might be good to try for the solo. This feels basiclly like starting over from stratch for me though I barely knew anything after these4 months or so.
I would recomend some metallica, Not too hard and very fun to play...probably "Seek and Destroy" That was the first REAL song i learned and it was and still is fun to play
My Gear:

2006 Ibanez RG321MH (Swineshead Custom A.M.P. neck & Warthog bridge)
Roland Cube 30
Digitech RP-50
Koss Headphones

Swineshead Runaway Neck
1984 Peavey Mystic
Crate GX15 (overdrive channel is blown)
Quote by Lt hilsdorf
I really liked that whole post, but this part was the best. Thanks alot for that thought.

Well with those notes does anyone have maybe a spicific song I could try practicing with for awhile? I've looked at Stairway to Heaven way back in the begining and it seemed really hard. Recently I went back and though it seemed less challening now it still feels overwhelming coming off of those darn power chords. I was looking at some other stuff and thought maybe Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" might be good to try for the solo. This feels basiclly like starting over from stratch for me though I barely knew anything after these4 months or so.

np, ye Stairway looked really hard to me to when I just started, now I can play the whole song.

All about practice.

But you can try what I did ( Many will disagree with this technique) , but I just learnt the Intro riffs/parts of songs.

Like I just learned the intro to Enter Sandman, and One etc.

If you want complete songs, I advise some Led Zeppelin.

The rhythm work is easy, and mostly just repeating Riffs with a few fills.
Songs like Immigrant song, Whole Lotta Love. You don't have to learn the solo, just learn the rhythm work. Once you get used to the whole thing and your fingers adjust, then you will naturally attempt a few lead parts etc.

Also, something I found VERY IMPORTANT is the use of the lil finger. Once I gained control of it, my guitar playing increased ALOT.

Even when you play power chords, try and use your Index finger and your ring+lil finger.

Like here:

E||------------------------------------------|
B||------------------------------------------|
G||------------------------------------------|
D||--9---------------------------------------|
A||--9---------------------------------------|
E||--7---------------------------------------|

Starting with the "7" on the "E" or 6th string.

Hold that fret down with your INDEX finger.

Then the "9" on the "A" or 5th string, hold that down your your RING finger.

Then the other "9" on the "D" or 4th string, hold that down with your LITTLE finger.

Thats how you should player a power cord.

Most newcomers to the guitar play the power chord with the Ring finger just barring the entire fret, Which is incorrect ( as far as I know),

If you find that you cannot play the power chord like how I showed you, the you need to gain more control with your Little finger.

How???

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm

Don't worry about anything after Figure 10.

Play those Excersises slowly and use all your fingers.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Last edited by Eternal_One at Jul 22, 2006,
Work those pinkies! I still need to control mine for bends and pull offs/hammer ons. I dont like practicing stuff but i like learning so i guess i must learn stuff over and think of it like that.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
TO improve greatly:

Use your pinky. Don't be a wuss, Yngwie could have gone faster if he uses his pinky, do it, use your pinky, it's there for a reason.
Erm....Yngwie does use his pinky, have you even watched G3?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
he doesn't use it that much, i mean he actually bothers to move his hand position than just to stick out his pinky, its not like that his pinky will damage the strings alot or anything..
With regards to power chords, the way I have been doing them is like this:

E I would hold down with my pointer finger, and then A and D I would only use my pinky to hold them down. Is this bad and should I change it to your method?
Quote by Lt hilsdorf
With regards to power chords, the way I have been doing them is like this:

E I would hold down with my pointer finger, and then A and D I would only use my pinky to hold them down. Is this bad and should I change it to your method?

If you use you RING finger instead on the "A" string, you will have more control naturally and the chord itself will feel more solid to you. I don'y advise using the pinky for BOTH A and D, just use your pinky on the D string.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by Eternal_One
np, ye Stairway looked really hard to me to when I just started, now I can play the whole song.

All about practice.

But you can try what I did ( Many will disagree with this technique) , but I just learnt the Intro riffs/parts of songs.

Like I just learned the intro to Enter Sandman, and One etc.

If you want complete songs, I advise some Led Zeppelin.

The rhythm work is easy, and mostly just repeating Riffs with a few fills.
Songs like Immigrant song, Whole Lotta Love. You don't have to learn the solo, just learn the rhythm work. Once you get used to the whole thing and your fingers adjust, then you will naturally attempt a few lead parts etc.

Also, something I found VERY IMPORTANT is the use of the lil finger. Once I gained control of it, my guitar playing increased ALOT.

Even when you play power chords, try and use your Index finger and your ring+lil finger.

Like here:

Starting with the "7" on the "E" or 6th string.

Hold that fret down with your INDEX finger.

Then the "9" on the "A" or 5th string, hold that down your your RING finger.

Then the other "9" on the "D" or 4th string, hold that down with your LITTLE finger.

Thats how you should player a power cord.

Most newcomers to the guitar play the power chord with the Ring finger just barring the entire fret, Which is incorrect ( as far as I know),

If you find that you cannot play the power chord like how I showed you, the you need to gain more control with your Little finger.

How???

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm

Don't worry about anything after Figure 10.

Play those Excersises slowly and use all your fingers.

When I started to play power chords, I almost never barred, unless my finger tip started to hurt and I wasnt going to change chords much.

But you shouldn't limit yourself. I started with playing Green Day, and I learned alot of basics by doing it. (I.e how to not look down at the fretboard, sing while playing, not stand there like a drone) Its good to start simple, but you gotta throw some variety in there. I would noodle around with alot of really random stuff, like the pink panther song, or Fur Elise. And if you still want to play stuff from Blink or Green Day, there are a handful of songs that dont really use power chords. Like Good Riddance, Warning, etc and are pretty easy.
greenday and blink 182 isnt stuff you want to play to improve yourself. I guess its good to start learning with, but definately learn different stuff from boy band 'rock' bands.

Good beginners songs can be found everywhere. AC/DC has great songs for people just starting to learn. The chords in the beginning are most of the time very easy, and just by listening to the song you can get it sounding like it should. Their solo's are also pretty simple comapred to a lot of others, but I wouldnt be worrying about solo's just yet...

Also some other bands you could look at are some simpler metallica songs that start off fairly easily, van halen's running with the devil is pretty simple once you get the fingering down, and even if you wanted to 3 doors down, and red hot chili peppers has some good sounding things that are fairly easy to play on the guitar.

goodluck! and make sure you are practicing you alternate picking and up and down stroking, if you dont you'll have to break the habbit later
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Jul 22, 2006,
Well, first of all, I havn't seen you mention anything about this anywhere, can you play open chords? barre chords?

Make sure you know this stuff before moving on:
1. ALL the open chords aka A, Am, D, Dm, E, Em...
2. At least the forms for minor and major barre chords starting from the 5th and 6th strings.
3. Finger picking, really there's no point in trying to play stairway to heavan without knowing how to finger pick.
4. Different rythem patterns, don't play all your chords (this doesn't reffer to power chords), down all the time, or just down up, learn different patterns.

Then start learning more riffs, solo's and stuff, BTW I recommend this site for some very useful guitar lessons, it pretty much covers everything I mentioned above and more:
http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm
Hey thanks alot for that site! I think it's best if I just start from the begining since, like I said I barely learned anything in these few months and don't have alot of knowledge on the things you mentioned.
Id say try and learn NIB or Iron man by black sabbath as they are not too hard to play. I started out learning sabbath songs, and that was a bad idea as it was quite hard. Now i just listen to a song and try and work it out by ear - thats a good way to learn i think as it becomes alot eaiser by time
ive taught myself guitar, the first few months were very hard.

i did the "intro" thing though, learnt stuff i could recognise and just riffs that were fun to play...anything to work on basic technique. DEFINATELY (sp?) excercise your lil finger and use it for powerchords and riff work. "Canon in D" by JerryC really helped me with that.

Guitar isnt a race, play it for the enjoyment and every week try a harder riff or try to improve something. dont let it become a chore, thats when you give up.