Page 1 of 2
I was wondering if anyone here has suffered injuries through playing acoustic (especially classical) and electric -eg RSI, CTS, Tendinitis etc. Steve Morse and Yngwie both have RSI and other problems and both play shred electric and classical. A lot of my pupils who do both also have experienced problems (as i have myself). This must be due to the hand coping with different string tensions, types and different hand positions/techniques etc.
How would you lose your fingernails playing guitar? Seriously, i'm really curious.

I don't get anything other than the occasional cramp between my thumb and index finger, but that's only usually after practicing for hours. I started off with my technique getting pick on alot with my teacher when I started though, so having good technique helps with....not losing your fingernails i guess ..
Man i have no clue all i know is hes the best guitarist ive ever heard and they are litterally gone!!!!!!!!they have scabs
Quote by mightykyle
Man i have no clue all i know is hes the best guitarist ive ever heard and they are litterally gone!!!!!!!!they have scabs

Y'know, one of the perks of playing the guitar is the chicks. It seems like he must be missing out.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by mightykyle

*runs to bathroom, vomiting ensues*

I got tendonitis in my forearm once. Now I usually stretch before I play.
Quote by mightykyle
my teacher has no fingernales !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im serious

WTF???????? Thats's sick!!!!!! My skin is crawling now I bet he looks like a freak. Yuck!
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Wa-shout
How would you lose your fingernails playing guitar? Seriously, i'm really curious.

I don't get anything other than the occasional cramp between my thumb and index finger, but that's only usually after practicing for hours. I started off with my technique getting pick on alot with my teacher when I started though, so having good technique helps with....not losing your fingernails i guess ..

I would venture to say Yngwie and Steve Morse have good technique!. What im trying to suggest is the two opposing styles and other factors contribute to problems
omg how is that posible. this is a potential ingury my friend sucks so bad at guitar that the strings literaly jump of of his guitar lol .
Quote by rocknrollgod
ive had a string snap and gash my arm open

String cuts are the worst. They look so minor yet hurt like hell.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
errr it is possible to snap a tendon my guitar teacher did and cant get speed back again, but his mature now so he appreciates blues and jazz and not in awe of incredible speed.
i think because we're mostly all young, and well, not that good, so we dont have serious injuries to report
When i first started playing barre chords a lot on my acoustic (it has rather high action) my wrist started hurting pretty badly for a few days, but it went away, not sure what it was.
hit myself in the head on the sharp corner of the headstock...go me!!!
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
i was playing then a string broke, flew into my eye end into my brain, then i said ouch, then i caught on fire
Also when I play my picking hand starts to get cut on the top of my 3 and pinky finger and with my freting hand my pinky starts to get cut.
I tried ripping out my acoustic's high E string after getting dumped by my ex with the bridge pin still in. Needless to say I rapped it around my hands, made an angry face, and caused a 2 inch long sever in my finger diagonally. Now I have pretty dull scars from it, on the back of my index finger and on the joint between the first and middle knuckles. It hurts whenever I talk about it.

I cut my finger open doing a slide today too. Dunno why either. Guess I need a string change.
The nail on my ring finger fretting hand is slowing getting smaller and smaller cause sometimes when I bend the B string the G string will dig right under the nail, hurts like hell. I'd hate to lose the nail but if thats the price I pay so be it.
I had just put new strings on and I cut the extra lengths off, and as I was putting the guitar away the sharp end of the strings cut open my arm.
Member #15 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join

EMO DEFENDER #10

i love you dude! (in a non-gay way)
Quote by Invictious
hmmm, callouses as thick as cardboard?

That's not an injury, that's a trophy!
i was playing master of puppets main spider riff and my little finger just died..... o.o'' So i play guitar with only three fingers....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
When I'm totally jammin' chords(think the end section of Stairway to Heaven), my knuckles on my thumb and my forefinger get all sratched up on my strings. The other day my thumb was bleeding a bit.

*shrug* thats the extent of my injury.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Well, i poke my naphew with my jackson's famous pointy headstock once by accident while i was turning to him/
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
I was having a jam with my band yesterday and it was a pretty small room, and I bent over to fix up one of my pedals and as I was going down, I smacked my forehead on my cousin's guitar's headstock. It was a pointy headstock too .

Droped my LP100 on my toes.

Also, I have had the tips of the strings (at the tuners), that wern't cut short enough, stab straight into my fingers.
I broke my left pinky, so when playing guitar and clarinet for long periods of time, it hurts like a bitch.

I once tripped on a carpet and fell with my acoustic on my arms. Have a huge chip in it, and my head stayed sore for a day or two.
I've have cut my right hand fingers a couple of times when the guitar strings break but more recently my left hand wrist has been aching for over a week, I think it was because I forced it in a stretch
Quote by Dave_Mc
Aw, dammit, I thought this was about the "half-naked chicks giveaway" with the pictures of guitars...

Quote by guitarphillip
what the hell you have 3 guitars and yet you dont know how to do power chords may god have mercy on your soul.
Quote by R.Stratocaster
I haven't had any injuries yet, perhaps because I'm using a Planet Waves Gripmaster?

Wha'ts the gripmaster?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Aw, dammit, I thought this was about the "half-naked chicks giveaway" with the pictures of guitars...

Quote by guitarphillip
what the hell you have 3 guitars and yet you dont know how to do power chords may god have mercy on your soul.
Luckily I haven't been hurt while playing, yet, but I'm always just a bit afraid when I'm playing of a string snapping off and whipping me in the eye or something.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Quote by Firzen
Wha'ts the gripmaster?

nevermind I already found out, does it actually work? or help you in some way?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by guitarphillip
sometimes when i play something uncomfortably using my pinky, it locks up and wont move and i have to stop for a few minutes
Houses Of The Holy "Holy Man" of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join
Quote by TheNinja
I had just put new strings on and I cut the extra lengths off, and as I was putting the guitar away the sharp end of the strings cut open my arm.

ditto
I have tendinitis in my forearm, and to the guy who said his teacher loves jazz and stuff now, I hav alway loved jazz but it hurts like hell to do all the quick runs and stretches and chords wow!
throwing my guitar around my body ive smacked myself in the back of the head a few times. Getting better at it though
Page 1 of 2