Ive been plying guitar for over a year but for the last two days ive had a realy nasty pain in the muscle of my forearm on my picking hand........is this expected? how do i get rid of it other than painkillers? cheers
Quote by bodec
its actually a known sign of homosexuality

[sarcasm] Thank you for spamming[/sarcasm]

*sigh*

Unless one of us are medical doctors, how must we know?

jk lol.

Well it can't last for more than a week, so just lay off the guitar for a while.

Usually pains occur after you try something new , like tap ons, or Fast hammer-ons. But if you say you have been playing for a year already, maybe you are over practicing?

How long do you practice a day?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Last edited by Eternal_One at Jul 21, 2006,
i just made a post about this in the warm up thread, my advise to you would be to rest it for a while until the pain is completely gone.

you should never play through pain no matter how much people may tell you thats the way to get great.

ive had alot of friends get RSI's from that kind of thing. they are hard to get rid of and it usually involves stooping playing for 6 months to a year if even that is effective.

if its not gone in a week or so (it could be gone in less) see a physio, ultra sound treatment worked wonders for my left wrist.
why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
You might try massaging and stretching it out a bit. But it would probably be smart not to play through any pain...

A few stretches and massages before playing the guitar as well as properly warming up can help prevent injury.
erm well ive started practising like 4-5 hours a day so yeah hat could be it. thanks
Quote by rocknrollstar
You know your a guitarist when you constantly put down bassists

so true......
And try to not to grip the pick so hard. No tension works wonders for your playing.
I've noticed that if I play at the wrong angle and put tension in my arm that my forearm is has a dull pain that is just there all day and it won't go away for a day or two. So make sure you are stretching and playing right first off and if it still happens see a doctor.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Quote by MrKyle
Ive been plying guitar for over a year but for the last two days ive had a realy nasty pain in the muscle of my forearm on my picking hand........is this expected? how do i get rid of it other than painkillers? cheers

Rest for 2 weeks.

Warm up before playing.
Stretch it well before playing.

This is probably due to excessive tension on your forearm, go see a doctor if there is still pain for 2 weeks, you might have cancer I am afraid.
Ok, guitar playing isn't a sport, so there's obviously nothing wrong with your arm. When you work a muscle hard, it gets sore...You play through it. I'm a basketball player and soccer player and skateboarder, guitarist and drummer, so I know. Whenever I'm sore, I just work through it and eventually my muscle gets stronger and the pain goes away.
^ that doesnt seem like good advice... hes been playing long enough that its obviously not from just getting into the guitar, and getting a beginner's sore muscle that he never used before. its obviously something that shouldn't be overlooked, and playing through it is never the good thing to do. how is guitar even slightly related to soccer, skateboarding, basketball, or even drumming? completely different muscles.
Quote by bandgeek10
Ok, guitar playing isn't a sport, so there's obviously nothing wrong with your arm. When you work a muscle hard, it gets sore...You play through it. I'm a basketball player and soccer player and skateboarder, guitarist and drummer, so I know. Whenever I'm sore, I just work through it and eventually my muscle gets stronger and the pain goes away.

This is right, and at the same time this is very very wrong. Some types of pain are just something you can and should work through, it's a natural occurance when strengthening muscles. It's like, if you just start running, and you've never done it before, you're going to be feeling sore and stiff for a long time until your body strengthens itself and becomes accustomed to it. It also can't really be avoided.

However, with something like guitar playing, it's very possible that working through the pain will only make it worse and do serious damage. The last thing you want is to give yourself something like tendonitus. I speak from experience when I say it'll be a very unpleasant experience.

It's a good thing to be able to recognise which type of pain you're having, but it's best not to take the chance either.

Cut back on your playing a bit, or figure out what specific parts of your playing are causing you the most pain and reduce or elimitate them from your routines. If the pain doesn't start to fade off then just take a break from playing entirely.