Hey, new to forum...

Anyway, my question is what chords are typically used in what modes? I understand the concept of modes, but have trouble actually writing songs using modes, etc. I can get certain modes to work, like Phrygian, because I know what sort of sound to expect, but I'm blank when it comes to others.

Thanks.
Ionian-1,4,5
Dorian-2,5
Phrygian-3,4
Lydian-4,5
Mixolydian-5,4,1
Aeolian-6,5,4
Locrian-7,1

Ex.1
Key of Cmajor--- C Dm Em F G Am B(diminished)
Ionian(chord progression)- C F G
Aeolian- Am G F
Locrian- B(dim) C
ect.

Thats the basic chord progressions for those modes. There are many more options when you get into seventh chords.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Thanks much, could you give a couple more examples involving seventh chords?
Im a bit fuzzy on the seventh chord area, it's hard to memorize for me.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
the modes stick to all the chords within the key, just from a different root note. So if you memorize all your chords in a key, you also know all your chords within a mode. You can decide for yourself which chords are used most often.

Major key:
I ii iii IV V vi vii(diminished)

all of these are triads. You can expand them into 7th chords.
I becomes Imaj7
ii becomes iim7
iii becomes iiim7
IV becomes IVmaj7
V becomes V7/Vdom7 (V7 = Vdom7, not 2 different kinds of seventh chords.. same chord, different name)
vi becomes vim7
vii becomes viidim7

start from the correct location and those are the 7th chords of the modes of the major, too. Hope that helped.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!