Hey all...I have been looking to buy a new guitar for about 3 or 4 months...I kind of have it narrowed down to a Shecter Hellraiser or an Ibanez SZ720 (there are a few others like an SG special faded and an epi Tony Iommi SG but I don't find myself as attacted to them as the hellraiser and sz720...of course that could change...but anyway). I almost got the shecter about a month ago but the GC I went to didn't have one in. Now I have checked out the sz720 and really like it. First off I love the look of the thing...it is stunning! and I like the sound...doesn't have the emg's like the hellraiser but it still sounds bad ass! I'm into old school metallica (ya, I know...then go get the shecter right?), motley crue, AC/DC etc...I like some heavier stuff like slayer and lamb of god to...I guess I want a guitar that can play lots o metal/hardrock. right now I pretty much just rock out by myself with my digitech GNX4 with headphones. I like to riff it up more so than trying to shred...anyone got any opinions on which guitar might be the better fit for me based on what I have said? I have played them both and really like them both just trying to decide which one would be a better choice...all opinions welcome.
The 720 has the best finish options(probably of all the ibanezes), but the inlays are way too over the top.

THe pickups in it will last you until you can buy EMG's and the control cavity is big, so you could fit a 9v into there with no routing at all. The Gibraltor 3 in the SZ is also a larger bridge then the Tun-o in the hellraiser, more mass bridge equates to more sustain.

Actually a SZ520 + EMG's will cost about the same as the 720.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Hey funky thanks for the response...I actually LOVE the over the top flame inlays of the 720 ...I played the 520 to but I find it is just to hard to remember where the heck I am on the fretboard without inlays...if the 520 had inlays I would probably get it and throw the emgs in it.
I have the 520 and really you get use to it quick, the side markers will tell you where you are. And plus its better posture to not look at the face of the fretboard.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
I have the 520 and really you get use to it quick, the side markers will tell you where you are. And plus its better posture to not look at the face of the fretboard.

hmmm...I suppose...it just seemed weird without some kind of fret marker on the neck, but I suppose you would get used to it...anyone else got any experiance with either guitar?
Not sure if you got anything yet, but I have the SZ720FM and it's great. You won't be disappointed.....
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by belvedere86
i have the sz 520 and i didnt have any problems with the lack of inlays

What brand and gauge string do you use on your SZ520?
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
since yesterday, i have been using ernie ball beefy slinkies (11s) they are great for stuff like In flames, soad,... i still havent tried them in standard.
Quote by belvedere86
since yesterday, i have been using ernie ball beefy slinkies (11s) they are great for stuff like In flames, soad,... i still havent tried them in standard.

OK, I was curious because I use .009 - .042 D'Addario's in mine and I had to loosen my truss rod all the way just to get the proper curvature in the neck (and the strings are still really, really close to the fretwire)! I am thinking about putting in .11's to increase tension a bit. I also heard that thicker gauge sounds a bit "fuller" than thinner gauge. Had you ever tried .009's in yours?
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
no, i havent tried .009's. only .010's and since yesterday 0.011's. and indeed it will sound a bit fuller.
Quote by belvedere86
no, i havent tried .009's. only .010's and since yesterday 0.011's. and indeed it will sound a bit fuller.

Did you have to increase tension via the truss rod when you went to .11's?
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by belvedere86
no, i didnt. i maybe need to higher the action on the "gbe" strings.

Do you get any fretbuzz with the new strings? Any buzz at all? I was only getting frett buzz on two strings, two different frets, but since I can't stand any level of fret buzz, I raised my action. I'm going to try .11's, adjust my truss rod, and try to lower my action....
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
yeah, a little bit of fret buzz on some spots. but i can stand it. its not that bad. and when you play a while on new strings, the fretbuzz kinda "dissapears"
Quote by belvedere86
yeah, a little bit of fret buzz on some spots. but i can stand it. its not that bad. and when you play a while on new strings, the fretbuzz kinda "dissapears"

Mine wasn't that bad either by most people's standards, but I just hate to hear it on any fret, any string so I raise my action pretty high.
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
i played a 720...but it was set up like ****, i dunno why but i hated it, the bridge pickup was like half as loud as the neck and the knobs were all sticky.

the 520 i played was amazing on the other hand, i'm sure that a well set up 720 would be just as nice.
For anyone that was wondering, I just replaced all my strings with .11 - .49 gauge strings, adjusted my truss rod and these sound much better, lower action, and 0 fret buzz.

Problem now is figuring out what to do with all my new packages of .009 laying around -- feed them to my RG1570 I suppose....
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Check my sig biatches. That guitar ownz. Personally I've tried an Ibanez b4 and wasn't too thrilled with it, but that's just my opinion. I'd say the Hellraiser was made for metalcore/metal. Go with it!!!
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab